HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:35 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Here ya go...I carved out a couple of mm off each side...basically just trace the outline of the bigger battery. I use blue painters tape to help hold it in...it peels off easily, yet sticks fine for flight, and belly-landing.

The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Dec 19, 2010 at 02:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:37 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Does anybody have some good close-up pictures of the Tenergy 500mah battery installed on the Champ?

Maybe a how-to on getting it to fit.

And how are you guys charging these batteries? As I have the Celectra charger, I doubt it would fit
Hope that helps...and the little white connector fits right in the charger. I glued a small strip of plastic to the connector and wires, so I could pull it out, and plug it in without risking loosening the connection between the plug and the wires.

cheers!
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Dec 19, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:50 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
helps alot, thanks. just a couple more questions.

can you still use your landing gear?

and is the battery much "thicker" than stock?

And, is tape required to hold it in? As I see you still use the stock velcro, I have took that off mine and I have heavy duty velcro, would the velcro I have hold it in fine? (without tape)

looks like to me the red connector is pointless, why not just cut it off?
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:42 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
I would say the gearbox nor the motor would need lubing. As you may think they would, they weren't designed for lube. I would even think that would cause friction and make them wear out in my op.
There is a small (tiny) amount of lube from the factory on the bushings.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:33 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
The Champ didn't use bungees, they had oleo strut main gear.
OK, don't go getting scale on me. LOL I didn't want to use metal for the cross braces.

Metal on metal on metal needs a lubricant, You have a metal gearbox shaft that runs in bronze bushings. So a tiny and I mean tiny little bit of lite weight oil is a good thing for em. Yes you can apply too much and that will collect dirt.

As for the graphite trick, that's an old one from back in the Pine Wood Derby Days. If you were a Cub Scout you should know what I'm talking about.

Graphite is a dry lube. And a pencil lead is actually graphite based. Applying graphite to the plastic gears lubes them so they mesh more smoothly.

And yes it could be used to lube the slides on the servos, be a bit of a bugger to do so but it would work.

NOTE: DO NOT use it near an electrical connection. Graphite will interfere with electricity. Old school trick on someone you wanted to play a trick on was to pop off the distributor cap on their engine and run a pencil lead inside it. The graphite would play havoc inside and cause the engine to miss/ backfire/ and run very poorly.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 19, 2010, 09:45 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,383 Posts
OK found the fault in the tx. Some poor chap over in China musta sneezed as he was soldering the board. Right where the positive lead is soldered to the board, and I had to use a magnifying glass to see it, there is a whisker of solder that is touching the pad to the left of it on the board. It's so darn small I can't even get a photo that shows it clearly.

The second pad runs through the circuits to a tiny micro LED. And from the looks of it it's getting it's ground through a back feed on the other side of the circuit to the battery ground lead.

Should be an easy fix, but I'm going to wait to hear back from Horizon in case they want to see it.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:04 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
helps alot, thanks. just a couple more questions.

can you still use your landing gear?

and is the battery much "thicker" than stock?

And, is tape required to hold it in? As I see you still use the stock velcro, I have took that off mine and I have heavy duty velcro, would the velcro I have hold it in fine? (without tape)

looks like to me the red connector is pointless, why not just cut it off?
*Yes, I flew the second half of the day with the gear on.

*The battery is maybe a mm thicker.

*I use the stock velcro to hol it in place so I can put tape on it. I don't know if your velcro would work...but if it's heavy duty, my guess is it will be fine.

*I believe the red connector is for a balance charger. I would assume you can cut it off, but I'm not cutting mine...I just stuff it back up in the fuselage.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:05 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
And yes it could be used to lube the slides on the servos, be a bit of a bugger to do so but it would work.

NOTE: DO NOT use it near an electrical connection. Graphite will interfere with electricity. Old school trick on someone you wanted to play a trick on was to pop off the distributor cap on their engine and run a pencil lead inside it. The graphite would play havoc inside and cause the engine to miss/ backfire/ and run very poorly.
If you aren't supposed to use graphite near an electrical connection, lubricating the slides wouldn't be advisable, since the slide is attached to brushes that run along resistive strips.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:20 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I believe the red connector is for a balance charger. I would assume you can cut it off,...
Since a 1 cell, "by definition", can't be balanced, the red connector must be an alternate. If you do cut it off, be careful not to short the leads (i.e., don't use metal wire cutters or an Xacto to cut both wires at one time..DUH) -- or your battery will quickly expire!

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:21 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,763 Posts
Maybe a good tool deal:

http://www.tinydeal.com/multi-functi...01-p-3342.html

A nice stocking-stuffer (except that shipping takes a while...)

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,062 Posts
Quote:
I would say the gearbox nor the motor would need lubing. As you may think they would, they weren't designed for lube.
Why do you say "they weren't designed for lube"? Never heard that one.

Tri Flow has certainly seemed to help both my gearboxes and motors.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:27 AM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
I use blue painters tape to help hold it in...it peels off easily, yet sticks fine for flight, and belly-landing.
Heh...you mean there where you used to have yellow paint?
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:40 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Since a 1 cell, "by definition", can't be balanced, the red connector must be an alternate. If you do cut it off, be careful not to short the leads (i.e., don't use metal wire cutters or an Xacto to cut both wires at one time..DUH) -- or your battery will quickly expire!

Gene K
LOL...got me there! I'm leaving the other lead on as there doesn't seem to be a need to remove it. Also, I used to build custom car audio stuff...so am well aware at the bomb-defusing-like surgical cutting of wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Tri Flow has certainly seemed to help both my gearboxes and motors.

Gene K
Another hobby of mine is (downhill) mountain bikes...I use tri-flow on my gearboxes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post
Heh...you mean there where you used to have yellow paint?
LMAO...that's why I started using painter's tape...because the clear tape snatched all my paint off!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:50 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
[QUOTE=The Hog Pen;16865688]LOL...got me there! I'm leaving the other lead on as there doesn't seem to be a need to remove it.

And you can use these batteries with the JST red lead when you get your 120SR heli...
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:04 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
[QUOTE=livonia bob;16865768]
Quote:
LOL...got me there! I'm leaving the other lead on as there doesn't seem to be a need to remove it.

And you can use these batteries with the JST red lead when you get your 120SR heli...
I WILL NOT CONVERT!!! BAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!