Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:42 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusitanv View Post
New champ owner subscribing to the thread
Welcome...your homework for the weekend is to read all 96 pages and take notes. There will be a test...the next time you fly...lol.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:13 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Oops, meant to post this question earlier.

Speaking of "throw position". Which holes are good for the Champ? To maneuver aerobatics without sacrificing ease of flying?

I believe stock both elevator and rudder was on very outer hole. Whats that mean? Most or least throw? And what would be the cons of the "most" throw?
The Cons of moving the Pushrods "In" on the horns is you can't hammerstick the plane. Small stick movements result in large plane movements and you fly with the tip of your finger and not your whole hand.. but it does make aerobatics possible.

A downside to this is aeroloadings on the control surfaces increase and the elevator or rudder can break near the control horn. I reinforced mine with clear blisterpack plastic between the horn and control surface foam.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:44 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!!

I think I may have found a problem with early battery failures and maybe the tx overheat problem.

Walked in the shop and right before I hit the light switch I could see a tiny orange glow from the bench. First thought was "Dang it I forgot to turn the tx off". Hit the lights and picked up the tx, and nope it was turned off.
WTH! And then I caught it. In the gap on the right side of the throttle switch was a tiny orange light glowing.

Turned the tx on and the light kept on glowing. Pulled one of the batteries and it went out. Reinstalled the the battery and the light came back on and I heard 4 very faint beeps from the tx.

I tried this a couple of times just to be sure and it does it every time.
Snapped a shot of it so you know where to look.

Something is staying on, on this tx, and would surely drain the batteries over time. Might just be a boo boo in the circuit board that's not cutting power.

I'm going to email Horizon and see what they say, but in the mean time you might want to take a look at the tx on yours.
Glacier Girl is online now Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 18, 2010, 08:48 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!!

I think I may have found a problem with early battery failures and maybe the tx overheat problem.

Walked in the shop and right before I hit the light switch I could see a tiny orange glow from the bench. First thought was "Dang it I forgot to turn the tx off". Hit the lights and picked up the tx, and nope it was turned off.
WTH! And then I caught it. In the gap on the right side of the throttle switch was a tiny orange light glowing.

Turned the tx on and the light kept on glowing. Pulled one of the batteries and it went out. Reinstalled the the battery and the light came back on and I heard 4 very faint beeps from the tx.

I tried this a couple of times just to be sure and it does it every time.
Snapped a shot of it so you know where to look.

Something is staying on, on this tx, and would surely drain the batteries over time. Might just be a boo boo in the circuit board that's not cutting power.

I'm going to email Horizon and see what they say, but in the mean time you might want to take a look at the tx on yours.
I had something similar happen to a Eflite RTF TX about a year ago. I hadn't used it in weeks and it just started beeping (I guess low battery voltage). It had been off the whole 2 weeks.

From then on I never leave batteries in RTF TX's.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:13 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I have a few spare stock Tx's if you need one - let me know. Mine don't do that though:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317798
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:42 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
I have a few spare stock Tx's if you need one - let me know. Mine don't do that though:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1317798
Thanks for the offer Sentry.
I'll wait to see what Horizon says first. Hopefully they'll handle it, otherwise it might look bad for them.

I got this one yesterday, direct from Hobby Town/Horizon as part of their "Hobbyist of the Year" contest which I'm in the running for.

Wouldn't look to good them giving out faulty stuff to the contestants.

Other then that, my Champ showed up perfect, not a bubble to be seen on the wing stickers.

It's already nearing completion of a lot of the mods I've learned from you guys.

So far custom 3 GWS lite wheels, opened up the air intake and added baffles to redirect the airflow to the motor and brick.
Applied chip tape to the cowl, great stuff, I use it on my big birds, it's the clear tape you see on cars on the fenders and rockers to prevent stone chips. Works great to prevent scrapes on my big planes cowls and wing tips, so I figured why not on this one. Even used two small pieces for the gear flarings so they don't dig into the foam.

Added bungees to the landing gear made out of real bungee chord.
Instead of the wing struts I decided to go with a CF wing spar. Used two of the PZ Cub clips to hold it to the wing tips. Worked great, no tape or glue to be seen.

Speaking of tape, I managed to get mine off without removing the paint. I'm going with a lip catch and rare earth magnets to hold mine together.

Also added CF spars (ex micro Cub control rods) to the outside of the H stab and elevator, and got really lucky and was able to sneak two pieces in the rudder, up where they bend and down by the control horn, Worked em right between the coats of paint through the foam.

Moved the tail wheel forward. Lubed the gearbox and motor. And used a pencil to apply graphite to the gearbox and servo gears to keep em quiet and working smooth.

And so far so good it's balanced right at 28mm.

Thanks again guys for all the tips, I just know I'm going to love this bird.
I'll post a couple of pics when I wrap it up.
Glacier Girl is online now Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:43 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
the eflite tx that came with my blade Mcx has that too.
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:58 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:

Added bungees to the landing gear made out of real bungee chord.

The Champ didn't use bungees, they had oleo strut main gear.
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 18, 2010, 09:58 PM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the offer Sentry.

Speaking of tape, I managed to get mine off without removing the paint. I'm
Moved the tail wheel forward. Lubed the gearbox and motor. And used a pencil to apply graphite to the gearbox and servo gears to keep em quiet and working smooth.

And so far so good it's balanced right at 28mm.

Thanks again guys for all the tips, I just know I'm going to love this bird.
I'll post a couple of pics when I wrap it up.
Can you explain to this newby what you did to lube the gearbox and motor? Do I understand it right that you just used graphite?
Thanks,
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:33 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quick update on my mods:

New Tenergy 500mah battery + UM P-51 motor = WIN

I still havent gotten my 5043's, but with the stock prop, and new goodies, I went flying twice today with it, and never charged it up. I got at least 30 minutes of mostly wot flying, and The battery never showed any signs of depleting itself...I bet I could take it right out and fly another 10-15 minutes. The motor and battery balanced perfectly...it was actually more stable with the heavier battery than when I tested it early this morning with a little 150mah. I did have to move the throws back to "wuss", because the motor is too poweful for the short control throws, and made even the slightest movements too snappy, and the plane was twitchy.
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Dec 19, 2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:51 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Indoor-fly fun

Flew my Champ w/P-51 motor/5043 prop/Hyp 180 cell at our indoor session tonight. I had fun flying lazy circuits just inches off the deck @ 1/4 throttle. I tried some aerobatics, and was pleased to find that she can now hang on the prop for a bit. Loops were effortless, and hammerheads & stall-turns looked cool. With some down-trim, she can really get up & go @ WOT. With the tundra tires, she had no problem negotiating the AstroTurf, and takeoffs were short. She can climb @ 70-80 degrees with no problem. With the Hyp 180s, I was getting ~8 min flights to the 80% discharge point.

I love this plane with the increased power.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:38 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,665 Posts
I would say the gearbox nor the motor would need lubing. As you may think they would, they weren't designed for lube. I would even think that would cause friction and make them wear out in my op.
big_poppa4904 is online now Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:35 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Flew my Champ w/P-51 motor/5043 prop/Hyp 180 cell at our indoor session tonight. I had fun flying lazy circuits just inches off the deck @ 1/4 throttle. I tried some aerobatics, and was pleased to find that she can now hang on the prop for a bit. Loops were effortless, and hammerheads & stall-turns looked cool. With some down-trim, she can really get up & go @ WOT. With the tundra tires, she had no problem negotiating the AstroTurf, and takeoffs were short. She can climb @ 70-80 degrees with no problem. With the Hyp 180s, I was getting ~8 min flights to the 80% discharge point.

I love this plane with the increased power.

Joel
That's awesome, Joel...I'm seeing the same things here, with the stock prop, no less. You gotta try this Tenergy 500mah...it feels like I can fly all day, and the slight bump in weight actually balances the power. I was taking off almost from a stand-still with a little elevator, and cruising at 1/3 throttle. Climbing was effortless!

*damn...I sound like a rep...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:17 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,665 Posts
Does anybody have some good close-up pictures of the Tenergy 500mah battery installed on the Champ?

Maybe a how-to on getting it to fit.

And how are you guys charging these batteries? As I have the Celectra charger, I doubt it would fit
big_poppa4904 is online now Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 19, 2010, 02:26 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Does anybody have some good close-up pictures of the Tenergy 500mah battery installed on the Champ?

Maybe a how-to on getting it to fit.

And how are you guys charging these batteries? As I have the Celectra charger, I doubt it would fit
Gimmee a sec...