HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:56 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LndShrk View Post
****Edit... The purpose of the transistor was to get the flashers as bright as possible. The LED's have different forward voltages and the 555 was not real consistent so I just drove them with the transistor.
Given a 555 can drive 200mA I can't see why you should need the transistor when you're running the LEDs with series Rs.

If anybody is interested I have some simple code for an AtTiny25/45/85 which can drive up to 5 different flash rates and sequences (ie you can have the same flash rate on each output but have the outputs going in sequence with an offset between each one). All fairly easily user configurable in the code. Components required just the 8 pin AVR, a decoupling CAP and the series Rs - with SM parts should be doable in the 1-2g range either dead bugged or using a thin PCB. Happy to release the code open-source on here (though I need to sort myself out an open-source licence) or supply programmed chips.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:35 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
My new wheels

I took the foam off and spray painted them silver. Worked like a charm. Gonna let everything dry overnight

big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:28 AM
Washington
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
Given a 555 can drive 200mA I can't see why you should need the transistor when you're running the LEDs with series Rs.
The LEDs have different forward voltage. When I ran them both off the 555 only the red LED would light up. So I added the Transistor and that solved the issue.

I have since modified it a bit and added the phototransistor to turn the lights off during the day. It works very nice. All Draws less than 25 ma..
LndShrk is offline Find More Posts by LndShrk
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:49 AM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LndShrk View Post
The LEDs have different forward voltage. When I ran them both off the 555 only the red LED would light up. So I added the Transistor and that solved the issue.
You did have series resistors when running directly off the 555? The different forward voltages should make no difference in that case as the Rs would take up the slack - there must have been something else wrong. All the transistor does is provide more current (and act as a current source rather than a voltage source), but given the 555 can provide enough current and the Rs make the voltage source into a current source it shouldn't be necessary.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:30 PM
Washington
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
You did have series resistors when running directly off the 555? The different forward voltages should make no difference in that case as the Rs would take up the slack - there must have been something else wrong. All the transistor does is provide more current (and act as a current source rather than a voltage source), but given the 555 can provide enough current and the Rs make the voltage source into a current source it shouldn't be necessary.
I hear you and agree. However I also know what happens when I plug the LEDs in directly to a series r off the 555 output. Only one lights up. I am only running them on the 160mah battery.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 08:40 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Hey BP4904! those wheels look fine, I have the exact same set. Were the tires glued on, did they come off the rims easy?
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:06 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Big-Pop and his pimp wheels...lol

As for me, my Tenergy 500mah battery, AND UM P-51 motor arrived today, but still waiting on the GWS 5043 props. I hooked everything up without the canopy/wing half of the plane...tested everything...hit the throttle and it almost shot out of my hand like a rocket. This thing is gonna be sweet. The battery took very little modification to fit in...just widened the battery slot by about 3mm total...no biggie.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:42 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,327 Posts
You will notice a nice improvement with the p-51 motor and 5043 prop.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:00 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
You will notice a nice improvement with the p-51 motor and 5043 prop.
Yeah...even with the battery weighing in at about a third of an ounce heavier, I still think I'll get great perfrmance, and tremendous flight times.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:12 AM
Washington
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
Big-Pop and his pimp wheels...lol

As for me, my Tenergy 500mah battery, AND UM P-51 motor arrived today, but still waiting on the GWS 5043 props. I hooked everything up without the canopy/wing half of the plane...tested everything...hit the throttle and it almost shot out of my hand like a rocket. This thing is gonna be sweet. The battery took very little modification to fit in...just widened the battery slot by about 3mm total...no biggie.

I have not flowen the 500mah battery yet but I run the P-51 motor. Flying weight is at 53Grams
I have the GWS 4540, 5030, and the 5043.
the 4540 is the way to go if you want to do any type of trick flying with the champ however it is tough to find the sweet spot when flying slow and low, it has allot of punch to it out of the three I think it is the fastest. The 5043 has allot of lift and is a nice prop to fly with. It is very smooth when you are slow and low. The 5030 is pretty much right in the middle of both of the other two. It has good lift is the slowest of all three and is pretty stable for slow and low flying. Runtime I get the best out o the 5030, Then 5043, Then 4540. It was 40 deg F tonight and I was getting on average 17 min with the 240mah 20c and the 5030
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:47 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
good to know...thanks for posting that. I don't think the 5043 will "limit" my Champrobatics...since I was already pretty good at doing Champ-Tricks with the stock setup with the throws moved in. We'll see...it's all in fun, and I'm hoping for something better than 7 minute flight times, since I tend to run a steady WOT...I'm hoping for close to 30 minutes...we'll see!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
caymin, they popped off very easy. I wrapped the outer part with making tape so paint would get inside where foam tires adhere to. Worked out nice. And put some 5 min epoxy inside to glue the wheels back on. I will try and get a good picture of them on the plane, as I have installed my new wing and tail.

Also got my 808 cam in the mail, so will be trying to find some time to mount it up and get a aerial video.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:52 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
Oops, meant to post this question earlier.

Speaking of "throw position". Which holes are good for the Champ? To maneuver aerobatics without sacrificing ease of flying?

I believe stock both elevator and rudder was on very outer hole. Whats that mean? Most or least throw? And what would be the cons of the "most" throw?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:59 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Oops, meant to post this question earlier.

Speaking of "throw position". Which holes are good for the Champ? To maneuver aerobatics without sacrificing ease of flying?

I believe stock both elevator and rudder was on very outer hole. Whats that mean? Most or least throw? And what would be the cons of the "most" throw?
Your Champ comes set on the outer hole of the control horn...that is the "mildest" setting. The further inward you move the pushrod, the higher the leverage ratio. Think of it like this...your Champ comes set up like you holding a baseball bat in the middle...you can swing it, and still hit...just not as much 'oomph'. The further inward you move, the farther down the bat you move. You can increase your leverage, an do a little more. As you get better at flying, start moving the pushrod in, a hole at a time. the middle settings are pretty good for ease of control, and ability to perform Champrobatics. I've set mine all over the place, and I prefer the middle setting. I can perform 'tricks' a little more easily, but still keep the docile fligt characteristics of the Champ.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:01 AM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
New champ owner subscribing to the thread
lusitanv is offline Find More Posts by lusitanv