HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:52 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Or does the servo turn freely by hand, battery out?

Dave
Nope...I get about 1/3...maybe 1/2 a turn by hand, and it binds up.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:01 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LndShrk View Post
Here are some pictures of My Champ.

I have added the oversized tires on it now. I really like them.
The lights I built. I just tapped into the battery leads for power.
the P-51 with a 240 MAh 20c battery pack turns the GWS 4530, 5030, and the 5043 very well.

Each prop flys the plane equally well. I like the 4540 for neighborhood flying as it has a significant more punch to really turn the plane on a dime.
The 5030 works very well. This is the prop I have decided I will use when I mount the camera to it. For long flight times and lazy bird touch and goes I go with the 5043. It just feels better at slow and low flying.

Hope to get some flights in between all the rain..
could yo please tell us more about the lights? you said that you built them.
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:17 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
Nope...I get about 1/3...maybe 1/2 a turn by hand, and it binds up.
Is the servo in the middle of its travel? If so, that's a rack issue...you probably have glue on the spur or pinion gears.

Examine them with magnification. Check for bent/blocked teeth. If you can't fix or straighten them, I'm sure I have extra racks/gears laying around I can send you to get the brick up and running.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:43 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Is the servo in the middle of its travel? If so, that's a rack issue...you probably have glue on the spur or pinion gears.

Examine them with magnification. Check for bent/blocked teeth. If you can't fix or straighten them, I'm sure I have extra racks/gears laying around I can send you to get the brick up and running.
Yes...and if I give it a little push, it will sometimes break free and actuate, but all the way.

I'll check tonight.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,764 Posts
A Haa! So, you have to remove the rack to access the track so that the eraser can attack! AAAAK!
Flyboy Steve is online now Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:27 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for that...I'm going to pull the servo rack and check it...like I said, it sounds like it's binding up...like it wants to move.
LS...LOVE what you've done with your Champ. Last week, I ordered a 5000mah lipo, UM P-51 motor, and some GWS 5043's. Everything shoud be here in time for a weekend/Xmas break build. I also realy like the fat tires. I prefer leaving the LG on, myself...
HOLY FLIGHT TIME BAT MAN!!!!!
5000mah, you'll be in the air for a good week straight, if it gets up at all.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:03 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl View Post
HOLY FLIGHT TIME BAT MAN!!!!!
5000mah, you'll be in the air for a good week straight, if it gets up at all.
oops...fat-fingered the keyboard...I ordered a 500mah lipo, lol.

Doesn't matter...I'll be working on Chomp this evening. Finally get a gorgeous evening to fly...and within a minute, I was stuck in a Cottonwood tree about 40' up. I got the plane down in pieces. I was in a hurry to do my preflight, and verified my controls worked with the new brick...but didn't notice they were backwards.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 07:37 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
Bummer, hate when that happens.
Had a guy about a week ago at the club who pulled something similar.
Had his brand new build on the runway, advanced the throttle only to see the plane back up.... Was hilarious, plane backed up, turned left, right onto the taxi way, just like he was parking it. WHOOPS!

Anywho, the stuff you hoard and find. And might be a tip for those who plan on adding wing struts.

The yellow items are from an original brushed PZ Cub, for it's wing struts.
Since I'm going with CF struts, I'm going to use GWS clevis' for the strut ends, and a pair of GWS strut mounts for the fuse side.

I checked, you can still buy the wing strut kit for the Cub for $2.99, and heck you even get the struts, which could easily be modded to work.

And the GWS stuff you probably have laying in your stash somewhere.

Should make a really clean looking strut set up.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:09 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
lol...well, I got a new brick from HZ today...yep...they accidentally sent me a 2nd one. So, with the motor swap, and another brick...I'm thinking of either scratch building a plane, or spending 20 bucks on one of those gravity warbirds...just for S & G's.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:48 PM
Washington
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monboy10 View Post
could yo please tell us more about the lights? you said that you built them.
Yes.

I got the LED's from Superbright LEDs I use the 3mm red, green, clear.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b....htm%23threemm

The wire I used is a 30 gauge wire For weight purposes the 30 gauge is key.

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...eText=30+Gauge

Originally I used the Superbright flashing LEDs white and red for the tail however the frequency was to fast for my liking. So I built a simple circuit out of a 555 timer. to flash at about 1 hz.. attached.. I used Surface mount products with a basic project board. It all came in under 9 grams.
I order my parts from Jameco Electronics.. They are reasonably priced and ship fast.
I have a phototransistor on there to detect light now that I just recently added. I am building another for My T-28 so I will take photos as I do that or maybe just do a video.

****Edit... The purpose of the transistor was to get the flashers as bright as possible. The LED's have different forward voltages and the 555 was not real consistent so I just drove them with the transistor.

All in all it only added about 8 or 9 grams to the plane and it really does not notice it..

Attached also is the test board
LndShrk is offline Find More Posts by LndShrk
Last edited by LndShrk; Dec 14, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:32 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,508 Posts
Dubro 1.23 wheels and 808 camera question

I just received these wheels in the mail. I was wondering about painting them. I noticed some of you have painted yours. How is the paint holding up? And did you remove the "foam tire" to paint?

And the 808 camera, How do you set the date and time?
big_poppa4904 is online now Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Last edited by big_poppa4904; Dec 15, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:58 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
lol...well, I got a new brick from HZ today...yep...they accidentally sent me a 2nd one. So, with the motor swap, and another brick...I'm thinking of either scratch building a plane, or spending 20 bucks on one of those gravity warbirds...just for S & G's.
With an extra champ brick, you need to build a Flyzone Albatros. In calm winds, this is all I fly. It would be great indoors in a gym, too. You can buy all the parts from Tower for about $40.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:58 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Yes.

Originally I used the Superbright flashing LEDs white and red for the tail however the frequency was to fast for my liking. So I built a simple circuit out of a 555 timer. to flash at about 1 hz.. attached.. I used Surface mount products with a basic project board. It all came in under 9 grams.
I order my parts from Jameco Electronics.. They are reasonably priced and ship fast.
I have a phototransistor on there to detect light now that I just recently added. I am building another for My T-28 so I will take photos as I do that or maybe just do a video.

****Edit... The purpose of the transistor was to get the flashers as bright as possible. The LED's have different forward voltages and the 555 was not real consistent so I just drove them with the transistor.

All in all it only added about 8 or 9 grams to the plane and it really does not notice it..

thanks!
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
Quote:
Yes.

Very nice, I use 555's in my bigger stuff to run the lamps. So easy to play with resistors to change the flash timing. Works great for a blinking tail lamp or a strobed belly lamp.

Thinking you could easily cut the weight to a third of what you have there, most of my boards end up about 3/8" by 3/4". Takes a little more time as you have to work with a magnifying glass but you can squeeze all those resistors/diodes and such in a very small area.

As for painting wheels, I used a plain old Testors paint stick on mine.
Lot more control over a brush. And I just squeezed the foam as I painted the rims so that the foam was pulled away from the rim.

You can pull the foam off, but it's a bit of a pain, you could easily tear the foam, or bugger up the rim reinstalling it.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:47 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
With an extra champ brick, you need to build a Flyzone Albatros. In calm winds, this is all I fly. It would be great indoors in a gym, too. You can buy all the parts from Tower for about $40.
My complete build kit came to about $54. I suppose you could leave off the pilot, gun etc. to save a few $s - doesn't really seem worth it though when half the point to me at least is the scale look.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer