HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:57 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
If you move the pushrods all the way in on the control horns and build some speed, you can flick it upside down with the rudder- I dive, pull up, heading up just a bit flick it upside down with the rudder, then fly about (miserably, not that good aT IT yet) upside down.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,526 Posts
best battery "chill shield"

so far, what is the best and easiest method for the battery shield to keep the cold off?

Also, what happens when the battery gets cold by weather? So far, I have not had a noticeable problem with a cold battery, so i'm still trying to figure out why you guys are making shields.

But just in case, as temps are dropping alot around here, and in case I will need to do the shield mod, just wondering which is the best method that IS removable
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:37 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
... just wondering which is the best method that IS removable
Lipo's are notorius for loosing "punch" when cold, (50F and lower). Larger packs enjoy the benefit having more battery to cool down, more to heat up, under use. The small 1S Lipos used in micro-flyers are particularly susceptable to cold conditions, due in part to being more exposed to the surrounding colder air as well as being in the prop wash. In cold conditions, I try to "pre-heat" the cells by laying them on top of my car's dashboard, such that the sun coming in though the front window will keep the packs/cells warm. Photo is of Lipo packs used in other planes, not micro-flyers. You might also consider keeping the batteries in your pocket, or using hand warmer packs available from sporting stores, Walmart, etc. Lastly, I use a "blanket" arrangment to cover the battery once it is installed, in hopes of keeping some residual heat in the cell. Some 1S Lipos are better than others in cold weather. Hyperion's tend to work well, but I still use a "blanket".

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:41 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
That all sounds logical except I thought that batteries self-heated during use. You're supposed to let them cool after a flight before recharging. So why doesn't the "usage heating" offset the cold air temps? Would it help to use heavier throttle to keep the current higher?
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:45 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,405 Posts
Quote:
UNGN: I'd just fly it.
Brad (Glacier Girl) simply won't be able to do that. You'll see

I was just cruising the forums and felt I had to say that
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:52 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
The small 1S Lipos do not generate that many amps, and it's the amp draw that relates to the heat generated during discharge. The small amount of heat that might develop is easily bled off due to the small size of the single cell Lipo. Running at WOT, in hopes of generating some battery internal heat, will usually result in shorter flying times. Why? Because the Lipo cell, in cold weather, cannot hold its voltage well, under load. So, you place the maximum load on the batter via WOT, and you hit the low voltage cutoff (LVC) that is built into the receiver/esc assembly (aka brick). You end up chasing your tail. So, you can work with 1S lipos that do better than others, such as 130mAh Hyperions, or go up to a 240mAh Lipo. In general, the higher the rating of the Lipo, the thicker/larger the cell will be, and voltage sag under load in cold conditions should be less. However, it is here that the quality of the 1S cell used becomes an issue. The cheap 138mAh Zippies will drop voltage significantly under load, in cold conditions, resulting in very short flight times before the LVC kicks in. Bottom line: Expect shorter flight times in cold weather, expect to see differences between brands of 1S Lipos under cold conditions, and try to keep the battery warm before installing in the plane. Rest assured the cell will be cold after the flight.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:09 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Here's "Chomp"...

One of my other hobbies is as a miniature painter...so I have lots of paints and brush-time...lol

Oh...and I keep these small lipo's in my pocket...keep them warm enough, I guess.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:52 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post

When I get a new plane, I don't even check the CG... I hold it my hands and if it feels right, I set it down and go for it.

If I remember I check to see if the throws are reversed, but most of the time I forget to do that.

The Champ is a plane designed for guy's like me.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:13 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,771 Posts
Anybody plug the "vent holes" in the front of the Champ in the winter? Kinda like putting cardboard in front of you car's radiator?

I can't believe the motor gets hot when it's cold outside, but I DO get snow in the holes -- especially if I nose in.

A piece of clear tape across them would cut down on snow and cold air getting into the fuse. BUT, I don't want to overheat anything ??
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:24 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Anybody plug the "vent holes" in the front of the Champ in the winter? Kinda like putting cardboard in front of you car's radiator?

I can't believe the motor gets hot when it's cold outside, but I DO get snow in the holes -- especially if I nose in.

A piece of clear tape across them would cut down on snow and cold air getting into the fuse. BUT, I don't want to overheat anything ??
That is a good idea. The brick seems to be slow on throttle start up in the cold, even with warm batteries.

The Champ motor shouldn't get too hot, anyway, unless its going bad.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:47 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
The small 1S Lipos do not generate that many amps, and it's the amp draw that relates to the heat generated during discharge. The small amount of heat that might develop is easily bled off due to the small size of the single cell Lipo. Running at WOT, in hopes of generating some battery internal heat, will usually result in shorter flying times. Why? Because the Lipo cell, in cold weather, cannot hold its voltage well, under load. So, you place the maximum load on the batter via WOT, and you hit the low voltage cutoff (LVC) that is built into the receiver/esc assembly (aka brick). You end up chasing your tail. So, you can work with 1S lipos that do better than others, such as 130mAh Hyperions, or go up to a 240mAh Lipo. In general, the higher the rating of the Lipo, the thicker/larger the cell will be, and voltage sag under load in cold conditions should be less. However, it is here that the quality of the 1S cell used becomes an issue. The cheap 138mAh Zippies will drop voltage significantly under load, in cold conditions, resulting in very short flight times before the LVC kicks in. Bottom line: Expect shorter flight times in cold weather, expect to see differences between brands of 1S Lipos under cold conditions, and try to keep the battery warm before installing in the plane. Rest assured the cell will be cold after the flight.

RD
Right on!

Every 10C drop in temp results in about 1/2 the current load being delivered. 2S Lipos in my decathlon BL on skis so far have been able to easily handle 15 below zero [C]. Why? well, the extra current as you mentioned, being warm inside my coat before running, and the foam interior of this plane acts to insulate the batts from the cold a bit.

Micros cannot deliver more than 2A for any major period of time, and are smaller by a factor of around 12 than a 2S, 1000mAh Lipo pack. Plus, exposure to cold on the plane's underside, and air passing during flight, and it's all but hopeless trying to fly a micro in those same conditions I mentioned above.

Just above freezing, no problem, but once we get right below 0C, the rated 10-15C drops to something like 5C or less, very quickly, esp. below -8C. Just physics, and physical chemistry.

SkyCadet [M.Sc. phys. chem.]
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:23 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP16 View Post

Rudy you know me too well.

Already have custom wheels, struts, reinforcements, and such, even maybe a fix I can share for the road rash noses.

Anywho, I remember from reading the 6000+ posts on the Champ about someone here on RCG that has the key chain cameras for sale that goes through them before shipping. Does someone have a link to his site?
Thanks.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:31 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post

Ummm, electronics (not batteries) like cold. A better choice might be thin cloth of some sort. It would let some air flow through yet block off the snow intrusion.

On the same vein, as a possible fix for the grit contamination of the gearbox, do as the real birds do. Add a screen across the openings.

A good super lightweight material would be a piece of nylon stocking.
Just steal it from your mom, wife, girlfriend, sister, etc.
No not the black fishnet ones!!! Though black would be a great color.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:04 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,911 Posts
Another thing you could use to cover the holes in the front is some breathable band aids....cut a circle from the band aid and stick it on!
You could use a sharpie to color it black.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Dec 13, 2010, 02:21 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
...or...don't crash it...

...sorry...it was there.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen