SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:22 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
that wont make the battery hang down too low will it?

I know the stock velcro is alot thinner than the black stuff you buy.

And is glue needed to attach velcro, or does it stick to the plane pretty good with just its own stickyness?
It sticks out maybe just a hair on my plane, but it's not like it's sitting out an inch or even a cm from the bottom, more like just maybe a few mm tops. You shouldn't need to use anything to attach it, other than it's own stickiness. I did mine the second week of owning and have flown the plane 100's of time and have never had nor even thought about the sticky backing of the velcro starting to give out.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:31 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Binding question(s)-

Does the TX know it has been successfully bound to a receiver? I'm assuming 'no'.

I assume I can bind plane '1' to the TX, turn the plane off, then bind plane '2' to the TX, and after that as long as the TX is turned on first, whichever plane I turn on will be bound to the TX.

In the above case, if I turn on the TX then turn on plane 1 and it is bound to the TX, if I then also turn on plane 2 will it also bind to the TX? (not that anything good could ever come of that, but if the TX doesn't know which plane is bound to it, and the planes don't know about each other, this should happen- both planes receiving the same signals).

Dave
I'll tall ya what good can come of that...synchronized Champ, 1-man air air show...how much win would that be?!?!?!?!
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:32 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
It sticks out maybe just a hair on my plane, but it's not like it's sitting out an inch or even a cm from the bottom, more like just maybe a few mm tops. You shouldn't need to use anything to attach it, other than it's own stickiness. I did mine the second week of owning and have flown the plane 100's of time and have never had nor even thought about the sticky backing of the velcro starting to give out.
I use a piece of thin wire I bent as a sort of retaining clup, and tuck it up into the slot for the landing gear.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:35 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,903 Posts
Thanks for the help on binding to the DX6i -- I couldn't remember the exact process. I'll give it a shot in a few minutes.

I bought some velcro at Michael's that is the same thickness as the stock velcro, but has better holding strength -- it is Velcro brand and is 7/8". The material itself is clear/transparent and says so on the package. If I remember correctly, it was about $4 for a package of 12 strips.

Garret
Garret H is online now Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:52 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I'll tall ya what good can come of that...synchronized Champ, 1-man air air show...how much win would that be?!?!?!?!
Even if you had 2 planes exactly the same with dead still air, you'd get a good demonstration of chaos theory right quick.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:26 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Even if you had 2 planes exactly the same with dead still air, you'd get a good demonstration of chaos theory right quick.
But you let go of the stick and the Champ will level itself and fly without any help, and you just dead stick the landings onto grass. Surely it has to be possible to fly 2, even if not totally synchronized?
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:46 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
But you let go of the stick and the Champ will level itself and fly without any help, and you just dead stick the landings onto grass. Surely it has to be possible to fly 2, even if not totally synchronized?
There's a Video of someone doing it with 2 Vapors... which is the only plane I'd try it with. They diverge pretty quickly, to the point they were coming straight at each other.

With a Champ, every flight would end in a crash for at least one of them.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 10, 2010, 05:47 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:

Dave
And you'd LOVE to see it happen...you know you would...

Oh...I ordered my UM P-51 motor today from the LHS...and gonna order the 5043 props tomorrow from him.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:01 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Reminds me of a clip where someone hovered a pair of mSRs via one tx. They did OK for a minute or so. Looked cool. Wouldn't work out as well with planes...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Since the champ will self-right, i think you *could* keep two in the air, but they'd be going in different directions!

If I want chaos, I just go fly around here- since august started, I think I recall 2 magic near-no-wind days.

Dave
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:07 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Just ordered my UM P-51 motor, GWS 5043 props, and 500mah battery for "Chomp". I also just installed the new brick HZ sent me...gotta let the silicon set up.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:38 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,508 Posts
should I wait any certain amount of time after I double side tape my wing on my plane to fly? Is there any setting time, or is it just stick and go?
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:55 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
should I wait any certain amount of time after I double side tape my wing on my plane to fly? Is there any setting time, or is it just stick and go?
As far as I know, it's stick-n-go...tape doesn't undergo any chemical change, so I would think once you bond it...it's bonded.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:25 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,375 Posts
OK I just went thru all 91 pages, made lots of notes.

Question. In all those posts about motor failures and fixes I didn't see one mention of the water break in that was a must when brushed motors were king.

Has anyone tried it?

For those that haven't you may want to give it a whirl. Makes the motor more efficient.

Simple enough, on these motors any single AA battery would work.

Just get a glass of water (distilled is best) drop the motor in the water and connect it to the battery. Run it till the battery goes dead.

Water break in allows the brushes to seat better, pulls away the carbon debris, and keeps the motor cool.

After your break in, blow out the motor to remove any excess water, and lube the motor shaft at the bushings with something like 3 in 1 oil, and you're done.

With the brushes seated more power is transferred to the motor and less to sparking. Your motor will have more power and develop less heat.

Between the heat and carbon dust you could be accelerating the motor wear.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
As I understand it, these motors don't have carbon brushes- just a little sprig of metal.

Dave