HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:56 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
so the main wing holds on good with just double sided tape?

What about the tail? It looks as though it may require glue. Would Gorilla glue work for the tail? I picked some up, the bottle that looks like a Elmers glue bottle, but smaller and is brown-ish looking in color
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 09:15 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
ps - Caymin - where do you fly in Naples? And is there a really good LHS there or Ft. Myers?
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding. I live close to our local middle school and their soccer/athletics field is open for public use, so I fly there once in a while, and then there is a pretty big empty lot, close by, that used to be a golf driving range, but my favourite place is the golden gate public park which has a few different fields, soccer and baseball. there is also an rc club airfield next to the Manatee school complex near Marco Island.
We only have one small LHS in Naples, they are kind of limited in what they carry, but they do have lots of Champ spares. Ft Myers is much a larger city and have three or four big hobby stores that have a wider range of RC models and parts, I've never visited any of them though.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:08 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
anyone?

Do I glue the tail or double side tape it too? It looked like the stock tail had glue in some places. Can somebody please tell me my glue/tape points? I dont want to mess this thing up

note, I bought the complete tail assembly
Old Dec 10, 2010, 09:41 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
anyone?

Do I glue the tail or double side tape it too? It looked like the stock tail had glue in some places. Can somebody please tell me my glue/tape points? I dont want to mess this thing up

note, I bought the complete tail assembly
I don't speak with the authority of some of the grizzled old vets , but here's my 2 cents.

There's no absolute one-size-fits-all answer for every detail. Basically, however, since you can expect to have further repairs in the future, right now you want to use the least permanent attachment method that will give you a secure and stable result. I've had success with using just tape (double-sided) on the flat surface between the bottom of the horizontal stabilizer and the top of the fuselage. After that, when you slide the vertical stabilizer into place in its slot and mounting bracket, you may find that the slot and mounting bracket are enough to hold the vertical stabilizer firmly upright -- or, if as is likely, you have a little play there, you might need just a drop of hot glue, epoxy or CA to firm it up. Also, a drop where the rudder tab meets the end of the fuse.

Now you're ready to fly! Have fun, but check frequently for fractures and looseness -- which come with the territory. Most of the time they're reparable without replacing anything. Just use a bit of tape or a tiny dot of glue.

Eventually, you'll come to love the experienced (beat-up) look. And some day, when tape or glue don't do the trick anymore, you'll be glad that you never did anything too permanent (i.e., that you can remove the old parts without tearing-up what they're attached to).

Dave
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:42 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
thanks pug. I picked up some Scotch double sided perm. tape today. Same as pictured in last page, but Scotch brand. And I got some Loctite Epoxy for the minor spots you were talking about. I will test the Epoxy today (on my old broken wing) and make sure it dont eat the foam.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:55 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
thanks pug. I picked up some Scotch double sided perm. tape today. Same as pictured in last page, but Scotch brand. And I got some Loctite Epoxy for the minor spots you were talking about. I will test the Epoxy today (on my old broken wing) and make sure it dont eat the foam.
Dude...try out the glue on your champ box insert...
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:13 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
you just want my wings dont you? lol
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:39 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
you just want my wings dont you? lol
LOL...sure...

But seriously...you never know when you might be able to reuse something...and I'm not saying the epoxy is going to harm the old wing. But your rudder might break off one day, and get lost...it sure would be easy to grab the old one and keep flying...or you might shear the end of your wing off...and it gets lost in the wind...you can cut both, match up, and patch up.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:20 PM
USA, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Sep 2007
1,940 Posts
Hey, guys -- I am sure this has been posted somewhere, but I did a search and didn't find exactly what I need.

Can someone explain how to bind the Champ to a DX6i? I recently upgraded from my cheapy DX5 to a DX6i, but can't figure out how to bind the Champ to it.

Thanks,
Garret
Garret H is online now Find More Posts by Garret H
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:36 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
WAM, you said your fuse was a little rough where the old wing was. You said you put white glue on where the tape goes. What white glue did you use and why did you particularly use white glue? Would Epoxy work ok for the same purpose you said? Put down a thin layer of glue, let completely dry then apply double sided tape
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:42 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret H View Post
Hey, guys -- I am sure this has been posted somewhere, but I did a search and didn't find exactly what I need.

Can someone explain how to bind the Champ to a DX6i? I recently upgraded from my cheapy DX5 to a DX6i, but can't figure out how to bind the Champ to it.

Thanks,
Garret
The DX6i should bind the same way the DX5e binds:

1. Turn TX off
2. Plug battery into Champ and wait for brick to flash (look through the intakes)
3. Turn on the TX while holding the trainer/bind switch on.
4. Wait for the Plane to snap to attention and its bound.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:57 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Binding question(s)-

Does the TX know it has been successfully bound to a receiver? I'm assuming 'no'.

I assume I can bind plane '1' to the TX, turn the plane off, then bind plane '2' to the TX, and after that as long as the TX is turned on first, whichever plane I turn on will be bound to the TX.

In the above case, if I turn on the TX then turn on plane 1 and it is bound to the TX, if I then also turn on plane 2 will it also bind to the TX? (not that anything good could ever come of that, but if the TX doesn't know which plane is bound to it, and the planes don't know about each other, this should happen- both planes receiving the same signals).

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
Battery falling out

So far, what has been the best, easiest, most effective method for keeping the battery from falling out? Past few times I went flying the battery fell out
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:14 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,291 Posts
Quote:
So far, what has been the best, easiest, most effective method for keeping the battery from falling out? Past few times I went flying the battery fell out
Get better velcro, the velcro that comes with the UM's isn't very good. You don't need anything special, just go pick up some regular old velcro which is thicker and hooks so much better than the stuff that came on the champ and the battery.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,660 Posts
that wont make the battery hang down too low will it?

I know the stock velcro is alot thinner than the black stuff you buy.

And is glue needed to attach velcro, or does it stick to the plane pretty good with just its own stickyness?