Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:44 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
I understand (UHU Por) is designed for gluing foam (and that it's not readily available in the US).
That's the best in my book - by far. Put a light coat on one surface, press the other surface to it, separate, wait five minutes and precisely "stick" the pieces together - you have a good bond that you can walk away from and fly 15 minutes later.

It IS readily available in the US: http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...category_id=90 .

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:55 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
While Gorilla glue is on my workbench it's really one I rarely use on planes like the Champ. My first choice is Repair Extreme from Loctite which is widely available. It's a clear flexible glue has excellent griping properties. I used it to glue on the wing and tail to my Champ seaplane. I believe it is similar to UHU POR.

I also use Loctite's Stik'n Seal which is a white glue that dries clear and flexible. I used it to glue the fuselage to the seaplane foam bottom.

Another method I use for repair is 3/4oz fiberglass applied with Minwax Polycrylic. It make a very lightweight strong repair that isn't all that noticeable. While trying to take off from the floor with my seaplane at our last indoor flying session a collided on the gound with a much larger plane whose prop cut through the trailing edge of the wing. I used the fiberglass/minwax method for the
repair.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Dec 08, 2010, 09:28 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,736 Posts
what is curing time on Repair Extreme???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsp View Post
While Gorilla glue is on my workbench it's really one I rarely use on planes like the Champ. My first choice is Repair Extreme from Loctite which is widely available. It's a clear flexible glue has excellent griping properties. I used it to glue on the wing and tail to my Champ seaplane. I believe it is similar to UHU POR.

I also use Loctite's Stik'n Seal which is a white glue that dries clear and flexible. I used it to glue the fuselage to the seaplane foam bottom.

Another method I use for repair is 3/4oz fiberglass applied with Minwax Polycrylic. It make a very lightweight strong repair that isn't all that noticeable. While trying to take off from the floor with my seaplane at our last indoor flying session a collided on the gound with a much larger plane whose prop cut through the trailing edge of the wing. I used the fiberglass/minwax method for the
repair.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:23 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,526 Posts
when I said I would test on my wing, I was talking about gluing my old broken wing, like cut it up and glue two peices together.

Im wondering some thing. I know we are all out for the strongest glue, but what if I have to replace wing again? How hard will it be to remove say the gorilla glue?
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:52 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
when I said I would test on my wing, I was talking about gluing my old broken wing, like cut it up and glue two peices together.

Im wondering some thing. I know we are all out for the strongest glue, but what if I have to replace wing again? How hard will it be to remove say the gorilla glue?
Oh...I wouldn't Gorilla Glue the new wing on...just use it to fix the old wing.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:06 AM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
what is curing time on Repair Extreme???
Since it's not water based glue it sets up quite quickly. It seems fairly well set in about an 1/2 hour. The nice thing about it has excellent gripping properties so it holds the parts together even before it's completely set. It also works very well as a contact cement.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:07 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,526 Posts
The old wing is tore to shreds where I had to break it off the fuse, piece by piece.

So what glue do I use to glue the new wing on to the fuse?? I also have a new tail assembly ordered, as it was cracked in two pieces.
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:18 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
The old wing is tore to shreds where I had to break it off the fuse, piece by piece.

So what glue do I use to glue the new wing on to the fuse??
Couldn't tell ya...but if you want to send me the remaining pieces of wing, I'd be more than happy to give you some credit on my Champ-Biplane build that I'm going to embark on....

OK...seriously...if all the damage is just in the center part of your wing where it attaches to the fuse...I'd really like to have it.

Quote:
I also have a new tail assembly ordered, as it was cracked in two pieces.
Only 2 pieces? My tail has more tape than foam...lol.

*I'd take that from ya too...
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:21 AM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
862 Posts
Quote:

So what glue do I use to glue the new wing on to the fuse?? I also have a new tail assembly ordered, as it was cracked in two pieces.
My fuselage looked kinda rough where I pulled the wing off, so I smoothed it with an emery board and put a light coat of white glue along each edge where the tape goes. But don't glue the wing on. Just use common scotch double stick tape, one piece each edge of the fuselage.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:24 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Next time put the plane in the freezer for about 5 minutes... the wing will readily come off in one piece at that point once you get it started. I haven't hurt a brick or motor yet doing it this way. YMMV

(just let it naturally warm up to room temp before hooking up a battery)
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Dec 09, 2010, 10:24 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,736 Posts
cool - ill have to get some

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsp View Post
Since it's not water based glue it sets up quite quickly. It seems fairly well set in about an 1/2 hour. The nice thing about it has excellent gripping properties so it holds the parts together even before it's completely set. It also works very well as a contact cement.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 12:47 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Wing to fuse- double-sided tape (thin).

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:19 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
I would use "Permanent double stick tape", scotch also have a similar type of (thin) double sided tape, but make sure to get the 'Permanent' type, the reusable kind is not strong(sticky) enough.
A warm butter knife, can be used to remove the OEM wing from the fuse with no problems, as long as you carefully pry it off bit by bit, it is held in place with double sided tape.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Last edited by caymin last; Dec 09, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 01:26 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caymin last View Post
I would use "Permanent double stick tape", scotch also have a similar type of (thin) double sided tape, but make sure to get the 'Permanent' type, the reusable kind is not strong(sticky) enough.
I just ordered that from Amazon.

$3.99, and qualifies for Prime free 2-day shipping.

ps - Caymin - where do you fly in Naples? And is there a really good LHS there or Ft. Myers?
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam