HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:05 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
previous damage is a definite probable cause. As I got to looking my tail needs replacing too. So I will order a wing and complete tail.

But for the glue part, does the foam safe CA work good? Do I need the "Activator"??

As for the gorilla glue, how long does it take to dry? As I dont care for putting "temporary tape" on my plane as it will take paint off. And does the gorilla apply to BOTH pieces to be glued? or just one? His description does not describe that

Also, what about epoxy? Anybody ever try using epoxy for repair? Its automatically foam safe
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Last edited by big_poppa4904; Dec 08, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:09 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Anybody ever try using epoxy for repair? Its automatically foam safe
You sure about that? I've had it eat thru a styrofoam cup I was mixing it in.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:31 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I wouldn't even bother removing the wing. You might grab another one to keep as a spare...maybe replace it when your wings actually vaporize.
I have two Champs, both flying great with broken/repaired wings.

I also have two pristine replacement wings, still sitting in their boxes because the repaired wings refuse to break again! They do indeed seem to be stronger than they were originally.

A little CA and tape can work wonders.

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:41 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
WAM74, im not 100% sure, but I believe it is. I have my broken wing to test.

How long did it take to eat through your cup?
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:12 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
previous damage is a definite probable cause. As I got to looking my tail needs replacing too. So I will order a wing and complete tail.

But for the glue part, does the foam safe CA work good? Do I need the "Activator"??

As for the gorilla glue, how long does it take to dry? As I dont care for putting "temporary tape" on my plane as it will take paint off. And does the gorilla apply to BOTH pieces to be glued? or just one? His description does not describe that

Also, what about epoxy? Anybody ever try using epoxy for repair? Its automatically foam safe
Foam safe CA is decent...it flexes very little. The activator crap makes it get hot, and dries VERY hard...with little or no flexion...that's pretty much the definition of "brittle". Gorilla Glue is VERY flexible, and VERY strong. These 2 properties combined, IMO,make it the best "long term" fix for a foam plane.

The Gorilla Glue needs only be applied to one side...and then I used blue painters tape to hold everything in place. The blue tape doesn't stick very hard, and won't take the paint off...but it does stick hard enough to hold the wing in place. It tells you on the Gorilla Glue bottle how long it takes to cure...I just let it cure overnight.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,667 Posts
how "hard", if you will, did you have to tape down the wing? Like how long do you have to apply pressure? And says it will swell up and ooze out some, is that just right when you first bond together?

oh and exactly which gorilla glue do I get? That guy said clear, but are they different clears to get?
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:19 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Also...Big-Pop...don't test ANYTHING on that wing. If you decide to "test" anything on the wing, go ahead and order yourself a new one. You have to preserve the joint between the broken halves...if you eat a big pit into it using the wrong glue, you'll have a very creative repair to make.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:25 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
how "hard", if you will, did you have to tape down the wing? Like how long do you have to apply pressure? And says it will swell up and ooze out some, is that just right when you first bond together?
I fit the pieces firmly, and then taped in place. If you mash, and force the two halves together, you'll squeeze out a lot of the glue (and you're not using much), and possibly damage the bonding surfaces. If you try to "hold it til it sticks"...you'll be there all night. Tony was right on...after about 5 minutes or so, the glue starts to swell, and ooze out...but it's not very much...just enough to make a little "scar", so to speak. TonyK's suggestion was to greatly reduce the "scar" by working the oozed out glue back in. I didn't even bother working the glue in...I like the scar, and it affects nothing whatsoever.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:51 PM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
interesting

can you post pics and or vids please if you have any?
See posts 1158 and 1197. They might help.
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:15 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
oh and exactly which gorilla glue do I get? That guy said clear, but are they different clears to get?
Oh...one more thing...Gorilla has a ca glue...it's NOT foam safe. I learned this by testing on the styro insert for the Champ box...not the wing

The regular amber color Gorrila Glue is fine...and dries a wheat color. From a few feet away, it almost looks orangy...but the standard Gorilla Glue is foam safe.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:42 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
interesting

can you post pics and or vids please if you have any?
here they are:
micro champ on bigger,better skis (2 min 15 sec)

micro champ skis (1 min 48 sec)
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:47 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
Quote:

i used epoxy and it worked great! i was flying close to some building with a but of wind and a big gust came and sent my plane towards another building so i did a half loop and didn't have enough time to flip it back over so i went full right stick up and "landed it upside down of some ice. through all of this the epoxy has held strong
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:48 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
Gorilla Glue is VERY flexible, and VERY strong. These 2 properties combined, IMO,make it the best "long term" fix for a foam plane.
Is Gorilla Glue the best because you can't get hold of UHU POR? I've got a tube of that which I've used to fix a (non-structural) crack in my Champ - I understand it's designed for gluing foam (and that it's not readily available in the US).
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:35 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
The salesman I bought my Champ from owns one and repairs everything with white glue. I suspect most anything that doesn't attack the foam will wind up stronger than the foam itself, so it's all good.

One advantage with white glue is when it oozes out, even if it hardens some, you can rub it down with a wet finger or wet paper towel and remove the excess, spreading what's left so thin you can't see it.

As far as strength goes, when I broke my wing in half, I didn't want to quit flying for the day and I put it together with a single piece of scotch tape top and bottom. No glue at all. It was probably 20 more flights before I got around to replacing the wing, which I did, "just cause". Worrying over which glue is best takes up time you could be doing something more important. Like flying...even sleeping.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:47 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
I use "Formula 560" canopy glue for my 3D foamies and Champ. Drying time to touch is 3 hours and full cure is 24 hours. Its a slow process when building but, worth it. Canopy glue cleans up with water and also stays flexible after it dries.
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC