Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:04 AM
Curious
Charlotte, NC, USA
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
What paints did you use and did you spray or brush?
Jeff[/QUOTE]

Thanks.
I used craft shop type acrylics, sprayed with a $5 yardsale Badger airbrush. Unfortunately when I removed the tape masks, I also removed some of the first color I applied. Touch up is/was with brushes. If you noticed the darker panels near the tip of the right strut, that is where the paint pulled off of the reinforcing tape I put on the bottom of the wing. I plan on touching up more spots after I fly it.
David
behind the barn is offline Find More Posts by behind the barn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2010, 11:48 AM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
Great job David!! You've made me hang my head in shame for some of the paint jobs I've attempted!!
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:14 PM
Curious
Charlotte, NC, USA
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
"You've made me hang my head in shame for some of the paint jobs I've attempted!!"

Thanks. No head hanging allowed though.

There's lots of room for improvement here but considering the weight constraints of flying models, it suits me for my first attempt with foam. I had a classic car restoration shop for a few years so I have some experience painting but weight was not a part of the equation then. Painting for flight and with acrylics is going to take more experimentation.
David
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:17 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
David

Great paint job, isn't refreshing to see something different than the stock yellow. Please tell us if the paint added much weight, or changed the cg.

Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Jul 02, 2010, 02:48 PM
Curious
Charlotte, NC, USA
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
Great paint job, isn't refreshing to see something different than the stock yellow. Please tell us if the paint added much weight, or changed the cg.

Andy:

Thanks.
I can't really comment on weight gain or loss compared to the stock Champ as I only used the Champ fuselage. The wings, tail surfaces, landing gear, wheels, etc. were scratch built. The total weight without the battery is 39.9 grams, according to my Harbor Freight scale. The wingspan on the 1:1 Scout is greater than on the Champ. Also, the tips are not as rounded. I'm hoping that the additional area on my model will give this plane similar flight characteristics to what I'm reading in the posts for the stock Champ.
The CG is within 1/8" of the recommended Champ CG. However, since I'm not using the stock wing I won't know if this CG works until I attempt the first flight!
David
Old Jul 02, 2010, 03:19 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,201 Posts
I think I over modded the Champ

I was really bored and I want it to make the champ a little faster, I crashed my champ hard into the wall and damaged the wings and part of the front, so I decided to trim some foam away and make it sleeker.

I lowered the wing by cuttin the "windows area" I also modified the rear rudder and now I have MUCH BETTER CONTROL this mod alone is worth it.

After the mods the airplane is much faster and I have more control, but it will go down faster too, it will not glide as before.

Here is a video after the mod, battery was a eflite 3.7 @ 250mAH not fully charged, I will make another video with the battery fully charged. I get about 15-20 minutes of flying time

Its not the best looking champ right now but I still need to trim some areas and cover other areas and paint everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_pjZ0WaYM
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2010, 08:02 PM
Incorrigible
USA, AL, Silverhill
Joined Jun 2010
150 Posts
Am I to understand that that Scout used to be a Champ?
If so, holy crap!
Nunja Business is offline Find More Posts by Nunja Business
Old Jul 02, 2010, 08:06 PM
Curious
Charlotte, NC, USA
Joined Feb 2007
27 Posts
"Am I to understand that that Scout used to be a Champ?"

Actually it didn't used to be a Champ because only the fuselage and electronics are from the Champ, save for the paint work. The rest of it is a 'bitsa'.
David
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:38 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
I have a hybrid champ & charger mod..

I cruised by the LS and found this nifty little 250 mah battery by Eflight for the twin rotor BMCXT Chinook heli... and immediately my brain started grinding gears..
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLB2501S for the full specs on it

Picked one up, brought it home and then had to work out 2 things:
#1: How do I charge it?
#2: How to stick it on the champ because its twice as wide?

Here's a pic of the original 150 mah cell beside the new 250mah cell:

#1 was simple, I have the Celectra 4 port charger & 3 spare single chargers. So I sacrificed a single and tore the top cover off. Hot glue on the loose wires, LED light and then re-mounted the actual charging plug. I haven't had a full charge on it yet, so I'm not sure how long its going to take, but this allows me all 4 ports on the celectra free for the 150 mah cells.

Here's the charger with the new cell in action:

#2 was a bit more interesting as I have the Du-Bro 1.5 inch tundra tires on here, which gives me a little more leeway in rear mounting the batteries.. So I just stuck some velcro past the end of the battery slot, and wha-la! Flies fine, and can go 30+ minutes w/o hitting the LVC.. With the slightly heavier wheels the battery is not making it tail heavy. AUW is right at 45 grams with this current setup.

Also, while I was in the LHS, they informed me of a NEW eflight cell coming late August. Specs were a bit fuzzy on it, however it will be a 500mah 1s cell, dimensions were thought to be basically a super-stretched long version of the 150 mah cells.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLB5001S is the coming soon page for it!

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:46 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
I'd be surprised if the upcoming EFlite 500 mAH cell weighed less than 13 grams. So it'd be the weight of a minimally-stripped keychain camera, so you'd have to use more throttle to fly around. Still, I'd think flight times would be such that you'd be ready to land long before the battery gives out.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jul 04, 2010, 07:55 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,201 Posts
I already use the 250mAh from eflite, Im charging it with my big lipo charger and the special connector, I get flight times of 20min even with my gum camera using power from the battery.

Here is where I located my battery and camera to get a good CG. But if you dont use the camera, you need to trim the wheels yellow holder, you have to make it wider and put the big battery in the middle of that yellow holder to have the correct CG.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:39 AM
COPENHAGEN DENMARK
Joined Aug 2007
279 Posts
Hello Guys
Take a look at Horizons, new heli 120 SR, battery 500 mAh UM, but only 12C
John
johnkielsen is online now Find More Posts by johnkielsen
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:52 PM
Joined Mar 2001
2,624 Posts
I have had flights as long as 17 minutes with the stock 150, in no wind and with very judicious use of power. Even in a mild breeze, my flights typically run around 12 minutes.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:11 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-turley View Post
I have had flights as long as 17 minutes with the stock 150, in no wind and with very judicious use of power. Even in a mild breeze, my flights typically run around 12 minutes.

Tony
Are you timing your flights with an actual clock? with the stock 150mah I get around 9-12 minutes with mild throttle, and with the 250mah and the camera stealing from it I get around 20+ minutes, I know this because thats how long my video clips are before the ESC cuts off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:42 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd View Post
Are you timing your flights with an actual clock? with the stock 150mah I get around 9-12 minutes with mild throttle, and with the 250mah and the camera stealing from it I get around 20+ minutes, I know this because thats how long my video clips are before the ESC cuts off.
Yeh, the DX6i has a timer function, it can count up till you stop it, or down from a set time. I have mine set for up-count on all my micro's and count the beeps at each minute mark. Once done I stop the timer right before I unplug the battery. On my Champ I regularly go over 15 minutes on the 150 mah cells and have yet to hit the LVC cutoff. With the 250 mah cell, I've gone 31 minutes without LVC.

I fly by feel and when it takes more then 60% throttle to cruise I call it a done deal. When first starting a flight the 150 mah's cruise at 35% and the 250 just a hair under 40%.

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede