Old Nov 05, 2010, 10:56 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Hey Matt,

How's the prop adapter working out? I keep stripping the wood ones.

Thanks,

FCA

Anyone tried this http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=716
I'm wondering about that prop adaptor as well (the one's matt ordered). I also have the wood ones and though I haven't had a problem with them, I didn't notice the ones he ordered before. They look a lot nicer because they actually have a spinner on them. I'm wondering how they work. I know obviously the the center screws into the 1.5mm shaft, but then is the outer portion large enough that the gws props would press fit on to it holding them in place or would there be a need to glue them together. I might order some next week just to try them out.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:25 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,778 Posts
I think RCBabbel may be using the collet. Not sure how heavy it is.

I use this one on my Sukhois. It weighs <0.1g: http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=661

I ran out of them, and my LHS had these in stock, so I put one on my Champ. A bit heavy, but the rubbery spinner gives some protection when those pesky tress, shrubs, or earth decide jump into the flight-path.

MPi EPS17: http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-291.html

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:28 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,778 Posts
Quote:
Hey Matt,

How's the prop adapter working out? I keep stripping the wood ones.

Thanks,

FCA

Anyone tried this http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=716
FCA,

After threading the wood insert onto the shaft, did you remove it and put a drop or two of thin ca in the hole to strengthen the threads?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2010, 07:38 PM
aka RTF
Long Island, NY
Joined Apr 2010
72 Posts
The adapter and spinner are one rubber piece that press fits into the gws prop so it will fit the 1.5mm prop shaft on the champ.I have flown mine twice and first time it tightened itself close to the fuse ,came home backed it off a bit and put a drop of ca and accelerator on the end of shaft and prop and that did the trick.Here is a few pics.
NuFlya is offline Find More Posts by NuFlya
Old Nov 06, 2010, 12:15 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
FCA,

After threading the wood insert onto the shaft, did you remove it and put a drop or two of thin ca in the hole to strengthen the threads?

Joel
Hey Joel,

No I did not, I actually put some CA on the inserts, prior to inserting it into the prop, After it dried, I screwed it onto the shaft.

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:41 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,778 Posts
Quote:
Hey Joel,

No I did not, I actually put some CA on the inserts, prior to inserting it into the prop, After it dried, I screwed it onto the shaft.

FCA
FCA,

If you try the wooden inserts again, I suggest that you remove the adapter after threading it on, put a couple drops of thin ca on the threads & let it soak in - as one does when mounting servos in balsa or thin plywood. This will likely solve the problem with stripping the threads.

Looks like it's going to be a great morning for UM flying. Time to charge a few packs!

Happy flying!!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2010, 07:45 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,778 Posts
GWS 5043 vs. 5030

Flew the Champ yesterday with the 5043 as usual, then swapped it for a 5030. The 5030 is a great choice for those who want more endurance than the 5043, but don't care for the higher speeds. Lots of thrust, and plenty of endurance.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2010, 08:00 AM
aka RTF
Long Island, NY
Joined Apr 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
Flew the Champ yesterday with the 5043 as usual, then swapped it for a 5030. The 5030 is a great choice for those who want more endurance than the 5043, but don't care for the higher speeds. Lots of thrust, and plenty of endurance.

Joel
I have yet to try the 5030 prop that i have,but i bet it would be better for indoor flying.Longer flight times are always a good thing.Would probably loop better than stock prop inside gym as well.Thanks for flight report.
Last edited by NuFlya; Nov 06, 2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 08:15 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuFlya View Post
I have yet to try the 5030 prop that i have,but i bet it would be better for indoor flying.Longer flight times are always a good thing.Would probably loop better than stock prop would inside gym as well.Thanks for flight report.
NuFlya,

You're welcome!

Regarding indoor flying - I'm thinking the same thing. I plan to use the 5030 at our indoor sessions this winter. Last indoor season, I flew the J-3, Vapor, mSR, and SR. We fly off AstroTurf, which hampered my ROG attempts with the J-3. Now that I have tundra tires on my Champ, I figure that it should negotiate the turf with no problem. I plan to add a 2.4g UM FPV setup on 5.8 GHz. Should make a great indoor cam platform.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2010, 09:04 AM
aka RTF
Long Island, NY
Joined Apr 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
NuFlya,

You're welcome!

Regarding indoor flying - I'm thinking the same thing. I plan to use the 5030 at our indoor sessions this winter. Last indoor season, I flew the J-3, Vapor, mSR, and SR. We fly off AstroTurf, which hampered my ROG attempts with the J-3. Now that I have tundra tires on my Champ, I figure that it should negotiate the turf with no problem. I plan to add a 2.4g UM FPV setup on 5.8 GHz. Should make a great indoor cam platform.

Joel
Wow that FPV setup sounds like its going to be awesome.Just got in from flying the champ with 5043 prop.Thankfully prop is staying put on shaft.Man i should of wore gloves.Sunny ,45 degrees ,a little wind ,champ handled it fine,me not so much.Just one flight,hands were freezing body shivering,back to car.I am going to try the 5043 inside tomorrow,should be ok.I was amazed this thing went vertical today for a few seconds. Can fly inverted for very long distances then go into a inside loop then climb out no problem.Very cool.What a fun plane.Surprisingly aerobatic as well.Even more fun with a few mods.Thanks to all in the group for help.
Last edited by NuFlya; Nov 06, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:56 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuFlya View Post
Wow that FPV setup sounds like its going to be awesome.Just got in from flying the champ with 5043 prop.Thankfully prop is staying put on shaft.Man i should of wore gloves.Sunny ,45 degrees ,a little wind ,champ handled it fine,me not so much.Just one flight,hands were freezing body shivering,back to car.I am going to try the 5043 inside tomorrow,should be ok.I was amazed this thing went vertical today for a few seconds. Can fly inverted for very long distances then go into a inside loop then climb out no problem.Very cool.What a fun plane.Surprisingly aerobatic as well.Even more fun with a few mods.Thanks to all in the group for help.
NuFlya,

Here's a link to the system I'm looking at for indoor FPV. Only 2.4g for the cam + tx. Add a Hyperion 70 mAh cell and you're at 4.9g! The Champ won't even know it's there. Heck - the mSR should even be able to carry it without working too hard.

http://fpvhobby.com/94-8ghz-10mw-camera.html

Yeah - cold wx flying is definitely tough on the pilot! I used to be hard-core enough to fly in -10 F wx, but not anymore. I'll still get a few UM flights in when it's +10 F, provided there is no wind - however, I rarely fly my larger stuff anymore when the temp dips below freezing. Fortunately, one of the local clubs I belong to rents a great indoor flying place on Sat evenings during the winter that is between 1-3 soccer fields in size - depending on the night. Pretty much satisfies my RC addiction over the winter. There is plenty of room for 3D foamies, 300-class helis, and any of the UM planes - even the Sukhoi 26m & XP, if you're good. Don't think I'll try flying my UMX Beast in there, however.

Last season, we did limbo with the UM Cubs. We used a pair of Cub boxes on-end for the uprights, so there was only a few inches of clearance top & bottom when flying under the ribbon. Was a blast! Should be even more fun with the Champ, given its excellent maneuverability and forgiving behavior when flying just above stall-speed. If it works out, I'll try to get some FPV video from the cockpit.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2010, 03:52 PM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
OUCH!

Modified my wing today. Flying in a 9km/hr wind and ran out of battery at the wrong time. The Champ headed for the river and tall trees... had to bring it down before it reached the trees. It came down nicely but when I flared to land the outside wing tip caught on a 2 ft high weed and snapped the wing off at the fuse.

Glued it back up with Gorilla Glue. Is this stuff as good as others say?
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old Nov 06, 2010, 04:35 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
OUCH!

Modified my wing today.....snapped the wing off at the fuse.

Glued it back up with Gorilla Glue. Is this stuff as good as others say?
For the same injury, I used foam-safe CA and reinforced it with a strip of clear packing tape. So far, so good.
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 06, 2010, 10:14 PM
Ottawa, ON
Joined Oct 2010
104 Posts
I had a similar thing happen today - I was hot rodding the champ a bit at the soccer field, trying to fly through the goal posts
didn't quite work that way
hit the post - snapped the wing off right at where it touches the fuselage.
Brought it home, mixed up some epoxy, and I put 2 pieces of 0.6mm music wire into the wing, and slid these music wire pieces into the remaining wing portion attached to the top of the fuselage.
After the epoxy dried, I finished the top with some clear tape... good as new, probably stronger than new, flies great.
the music wire braces are the key here - I wouldn't trust just regular glue, but it would probably be fine.
awdiver is offline Find More Posts by awdiver
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:11 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
i love flying through goal post and soccar nets
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10