HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:29 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
So --- parts have been rolling in --- I think I am just about all set to start my build thread... but can some1 post pics/ideas/suggestions of wing reinforcement? My Champ will pick up more power, but also more weight... I just wanna be sure that the wings are up for allI can toss at it.
Get some coffee stirring sticks from the local QT and add some struts or go to the LHS and get a small thin carbon fiber strip and attach it to the underside of the wing.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:08 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I like the CF idea better - don't prefer the look of the champ w/ struts. TY sir.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:25 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
I like the CF idea better - don't prefer the look of the champ w/ struts. TY sir.
Really! Some people!

dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:36 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
^^^ LOL. I knew there would be some purists who wouldn't appreciate that comment - LOL.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 12:58 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Now a stealth all-CF champ...

dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:39 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,644 Posts
I used Mc D's coffee stirers (sp) to make struts for my j3 cub. Fastened them to fuse with velcro, so I could still easily get inside and work on it. hehe. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:41 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
IT HAS BEGUN --- BE AFWAID .... BE VEWWWY VEWWWY AFWAID (please subscribe)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post16340759
Old Oct 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Darren,

Regarding full-scale aviation - I stated the same thing in my post. I said that the reason they use 3 or more blades is not because they're more efficient - it's because of ground-clearance, transonic problems, & noise.

In my experience with RC planes, I have yet to find a 3 or 4-blade prop that can outperform a well-designed 2-blade prop that's well-matched to the powerplant & airframe.

Joel
Your exactly right Joel! There will never be a 3 or 4 blade that is more efficent than a 2 blade prop. Full scale or R/C. Extra blades will never out perform a correctly set up 2 blade prop.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:56 PM
VAPORIZED
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2010
1,267 Posts
What motors can i use for the champ mine just had the screams,?Pretty crap only had about 20 or so flights and i was taking it easy.
pappy1 is offline Find More Posts by pappy1
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:17 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
682 Posts
Has someone come up with a way to add ailerons? (sorry, didn't read through all 50 pages
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:38 AM
Lexington, KY
Joined Oct 2009
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ci_phon View Post
Alrighty, I finally got my test flight video(s) uploaded. These are the first 2 flights after modding my Champ with my keychain camera mount.

The first video really shows just how poorly it flew, partially due to wind I'm sure, but a lot of it has to have something to do with the extra weight! When i went to take off, you'll notice I lost control of it right from the get-go and had to give it 2nd try...which was an ugly take off to say the least, I almost nailed a light post along with the fence. (I took off as soon as the wind had completely stopped, so this point in the video is probably the best example of what I mean by wobbly).

The 2nd test flight was better, the take off was noticeably better, most of the flight was also a lot smoother. The only thing that had changed between flights was that I had adjusted the 'wire loops' in both the rudder's and elevator's linkages, because of all the trimming I had done during the first flight. (I'll adjust the loops on occasion, to make up for added trim adjustments...this way I can partially reset my trim settings on my Tx...so I have more room in my Tx to work with later).

All this is why I was asking if the wings need to be reinforced.....or would something like twoplanekid's idea of wing slats help out some? (aside from lowering weight, which I'm still working on regardless).

Thanks all, and enjoy my 7+ minutes of grassy blurs!

Test flight #1

Test Flight #2

Shillito Park looks pretty cool from that altitude
cannondale1974 is offline Find More Posts by cannondale1974
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:41 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
Has someone come up with a way to add ailerons? (sorry, didn't read through all 50 pages
I've seen it mentioned elsewhere but I don't know that anyone has done it yet. Will the stock brick support ailerons? Right now the rudder uses the aileron channel so is there an available rudder channel?
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:07 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
I've seen it mentioned elsewhere but I don't know that anyone has done it yet. Will the stock brick support ailerons? Right now the rudder uses the aileron channel so is there an available rudder channel?
No, the Brick won't support any more channels, so you'd have to swap to an AR6400.

Ailerons won't make the plane fly better, just different. On My J-3 cub I put ailerons on, the plane won't turn with ailerons alone... at all. It just leans to one side and the adverse yaw keeps it going straight unless you apply a bunch of elevator.

Aileron allow faster rolls, but they are still snap rolls and not aileron rolls.

It's better to fly the champ like a champ and buy something sporty for ailerons.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:10 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
It's better to fly the champ like a champ and buy something sporty for ailerons.
Great advice! That's enough to justify the UM T-28
Last edited by ZackJones; Oct 21, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:14 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Great advice! That's enought to justify the UM T-28
The T-28 is a great next step, right out of the box, and the Champ can be pulled out when the wind is greater than 5 mph.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN