SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:30 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
Anyone used carbon rods to strengthen up the Champs weak points ?
I just used a 4" piece of bamboo skewer and heavy duty packing tape to reinforce the elevator area of the tail. Being a completely rank beginner, I had crashed my Champ a number of times; the most recent being trying to practice loops way too low for the first time.

I had driven it straight down into the ground at top speed. I bent the prop shaft and... completely rearranged the tail surfaces along the way. I had numerous, small stress fractures in the elevator and the prop blast (even after I straighted the prop shaft) just made them flutter wildly (not good for predictable, controllable flight).

The skewer is extremely light as are the few, small pieces of packing tape. None the less, the plane wanted to fly tail down like a 3D! So... I taped a penny on the front under belly of the fuselage just behind the prop.

Now... my Champ flies smooth, stable and controllable again... just like out of the box. The difference is... my Champ is NOT out of the box and instead is full of the little experiences one accumulates when one is a rank beginner and tries to do things too soon with too little knowledge.

After two months of steady flying and experience, I'm totally pleased with my Champ and the various repairs I've had to make (like using epoxy to re-glue my rudder control horn after it separated after some mis-hap or another).

Great plane! Fun to fly! Great for a beginner! And... easy to repair when necessary.
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Last edited by MiddleMarc; Oct 17, 2010 at 12:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:45 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Aug 2010
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
I am... speechless.

How in the heck are y'all crashin'?!

...I even did some loops and a snap roll for the kids nearby during lunch

...not trying to be demeaning or arrogant, just curious what's up.

SC
I'm glad you added the part about not trying to be demeaning...

Even after 2 months of experience (starting from nothing), I'm not yet even trying to do snap rolls with my Champ. Those of us that are "RC flying challenged", at least for myself, suffer from not knowing what to do, when and how if faced with a wind gust or even just trying to negotiate a simple turn without crashing into the dirt!

By the time I can execute a snap roll with my Champ, perhaps I won't be crashing it either. I hope to be that accomplished at some point. I celebrate your experience and knowledge and hope to join you at that level some time!
MiddleMarc is offline Find More Posts by MiddleMarc
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:30 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleMarc View Post
I'm glad you added the part about not trying to be demeaning...

Even after 2 months of experience (starting from nothing), I'm not yet even trying to do snap rolls with my Champ. Those of us that are "RC flying challenged", at least for myself, suffer from not knowing what to do, when and how if faced with a wind gust or even just trying to negotiate a simple turn without crashing into the dirt!

By the time I can execute a snap roll with my Champ, perhaps I won't be crashing it either. I hope to be that accomplished at some point. I celebrate your experience and knowledge and hope to join you at that level some time!
MiddleMarc:

Thanks for your kind comments. I am a relative new entrant into this hobby, being in about 7 months now, but I have been fortunate, since I used ot fly Scale private planes in my youth/early 20s, and I have also had >300h total with several planes in my hangar now.

Started with a Super Decathlon BL and Micro Cub, and went on from there. Have the Champ [x2], SuperDec, Lancair ES, and now a Pilot-1 1/8 scale Champ. latter two are 4-channel planes.

My advise for new pilots is to avoid flying in too windy condns, [I know that excitement sometimes overrides this!], trim the plane for level flight without any stick input at 40-50% throttle [possibly 35% for some champs dep. on controller/motor settings], and then you're set.

Easy turns, and remember altitude is your friend!

Once you get a feel for the plane, you can experiment with fancier stuff. Just as a new pilot won't be doing barrel rolls on first solo, think the same with the model, and then everything will come.

Just remember that with a 3ch plane, when executing rudder, this causes a yaw [turn] and roll, which causes the nose to go down. Some up elevator during the turn will make for a flatter turn. When finished turning, neutral the elevator as you go, and you will avoid climbing out from the turn.

When landing, I like to run 25%-30% power in a gentle glide down, and then about 1/2 foot off the deck, cut power and gently flare. This is done by easing the stick slowly to avoid having the plane level out and then gently stall, causing a harder nosed-in landing.

Using bigger wheels, like the Dubro 123 sport wheels really makes a difference too.

Have fun, and feel free to PM me if you have any flight-related questions...

Smooth and silky skies!

Darren/SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:35 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
MAS 3-blade experiment a bust...

Hello!

Well, as much as I was sure that this would work, that little motor just cannot turn the blades fast enough to get enough consistent thrust to keep her flying. Even trimming the blades with a dremmel to 4.4", this was barely enough to keep the plane flying other than at near WOT [at least 75% throttle was needed to keep her aloft].

So, Champ#2 will be eventually retro-fitted with a brushless 1S outrunner, and the stock motor will serve as a spare for Champ #1. I'll use the smaller 3-blade with the BL motor for trials, as many small BL motors are lighter than the stock motor, which will aid in balance.

That'll be a bit yet, probably a late fall project... Have some other priorities with my larger models to complete...

Skycadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:33 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I like the Hacker engines... what's the best one to upgrade (brushless) to (considering my Champ will pick up some weight w/ the glue mod, paint, and camera?? I want my champ to be a runner - and I don't mind having to land at a faster ground-speed as long as it means I have some wind-gust-beating power in flight.

--> http://aero-model.com/Hacker-Brushle...By-Series.aspx

Here is the app chart : http://www.hackerbrushless.com/Motor...tionChart.aspx

I'm aware that I'll need their ESC as well.
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:44 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Hello!

Well, as much as I was sure that this would work, that little motor just cannot turn the blades fast enough to get enough consistent thrust to keep her flying. Even trimming the blades with a dremmel to 4.4", this was barely enough to keep the plane flying other than at near WOT [at least 75% throttle was needed to keep her aloft].

So, Champ#2 will be eventually retro-fitted with a brushless 1S outrunner, and the stock motor will serve as a spare for Champ #1. I'll use the smaller 3-blade with the BL motor for trials, as many small BL motors are lighter than the stock motor, which will aid in balance.

That'll be a bit yet, probably a late fall project... Have some other priorities with my larger models to complete...

Skycadet
Maybe lowering the pitch with a heat gun would do it- or maybe trimming the chord a bit. Might not be a bust yet.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:10 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
I like the Hacker engines... what's the best one to upgrade (brushless) to (considering my Champ will pick up some weight w/ the glue mod, paint, and camera?? I want my champ to be a runner - and I don't mind having to land at a faster ground-speed as long as it means I have some wind-gust-beating power in flight.

--> http://aero-model.com/Hacker-Brushle...By-Series.aspx

Here is the app chart : http://www.hackerbrushless.com/Motor...tionChart.aspx

I'm aware that I'll need their ESC as well.
Sentry, all of those motors are too heavy for a Champ. The lightest is 14g.

If you are going to go 2S (and all of the Hacker motors would need at least 2S), the HXT 5g brushless motor from HK will easily fly a 70g Champ (Double the Champs weight), but the Wing will need a little reinforcement and don't expect it to fly Champ slow.

A 2S 200 mAh Battery pack, a 5g HXT Outrunner and a 5030 or 5043 prop would be an excellent combo for hauling things around, and the ESC BEC will provide 5V to power stuff you want to haul up.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:38 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave View Post
Maybe lowering the pitch with a heat gun would do it- or maybe trimming the chord a bit. Might not be a bust yet.

Dave
Well, making the prop shorter [by~0.6"] made a difference, but the weight is still a bit high. I need to run the 3-blader at 75% or higher to get any good pull. Can these MAS props be reshaped as you say?

I have a good heating source that might work [Weller's Pro series solder/heating system later used for shrink]

SC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 05:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
I have no idea if you can heat-n-twist successfully, but when it's a wash otherwise there's little to lose by trying.

If you didn't get the pitch on all 3 exactly the same there might be a bit of vibration, but if overall it worked you could look for a 3-blade prop with less pitch.

On any 'serious' plane I'd be wary of modding the prop, but on a champ...

Dave

Dave
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:15 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
When does one know of the motor is dying?

Well, Champ#1 is acting up - it may be batteries, but I think the motor is going.

My champ "cuts out" periodically while flying with a topped up battery, and this cut out is very brief.

The motor cuts, or more specifically pulses off for 1/2 second or so, then continues.

This occurs at all throttle settings above 30%.

On full WOT it will run, then pulse then cut out

I thought it might be batts, but it does with ALL batts, even fresh ones.

Thoughts? My only recourse left is to try a brand new fresh 1S before confirming the motor. Do these usually just quit, or sometimes start to fail before going entirely?

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:51 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Sentry, all of those motors are too heavy for a Champ. The lightest is 14g.

If you are going to go 2S (and all of the Hacker motors would need at least 2S), the HXT 5g brushless motor from HK will easily fly a 70g Champ (Double the Champs weight), but the Wing will need a little reinforcement and don't expect it to fly Champ slow.

A 2S 200 mAh Battery pack, a 5g HXT Outrunner and a 5030 or 5043 prop would be an excellent combo for hauling things around, and the ESC BEC will provide 5V to power stuff you want to haul up.
Will order those up this week. Thank you kind sir... basically have everything I need... just waiting on my digital scale to arrive so I can take the weights of everything before and after the mods I have planned.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:01 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Btw, the motor seems less powerful than it used to be
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:17 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
^^

www.zex.com : That should help.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:19 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Well, Champ#1 is acting up - it may be batteries, but I think the motor is going.

My champ "cuts out" periodically while flying with a topped up battery, and this cut out is very brief.

The motor cuts, or more specifically pulses off for 1/2 second or so, then continues.

This occurs at all throttle settings above 30%.

On full WOT it will run, then pulse then cut out

I thought it might be batts, but it does with ALL batts, even fresh ones.

Thoughts? My only recourse left is to try a brand new fresh 1S before confirming the motor. Do these usually just quit, or sometimes start to fail before going entirely?

SkyCadet
If the controls go to neutral and the red led in the cowl goes out, its likely a tx problem (or maybe an esc RF noise issue?).

Dave
Old Oct 18, 2010, 10:16 PM
alberta canada
Joined Nov 2009
97 Posts
Finally did the wood glue mod ,tail feathers,way way stiffer.Did the fuselage inside and out ,taped the fuselage real good.It is very ridge no comparison to stock ,down side champ weights 41 grams(lost track of coats lol).but I have the big sport wheels and the gws 5045 with the big spinner prop adapter.Have not remadian it yet but I am sure It will handle wind better and fly like on rails?By the way run Hyperion 240s,and a mustang motor waiting in the wings.I think the less flex, distortion the better handling.But obviously faster slow flying.
chbronco is offline Find More Posts by chbronco
Last edited by chbronco; Oct 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM.