HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2010, 12:16 AM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Hyperion makes a collet type prop adapter for 2mm shafts. It may tighten down that extra 1/2mm. If not maybe wrap some tape around the shaft then tighten down the collet.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1866
This works perfectly on the Champ and other UM planes.

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=716
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2010, 07:23 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman88 View Post
Has anyone been able to increase wing area either by adding on wing extensions or maybe something like flaps?
One of these champ threads has a fellow who added some slats.

I tried some in balsa- too heavy. He used foam (front part of a donor wing), I haven't gotten around to trying it again.

I'm tempted to add some small slats just in front of the wing, like on a Zenith.

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 07, 2010, 01:59 PM
aka RTF
Long Island, NY
Joined Apr 2010
72 Posts
Got bored and painted some stripes on the Champ.Tamiya acrylic black and white.G-flyer decals came off easy with some heat from hair dryer.Looks a little decathlon-ish.Love this little guy.
NuFlya is offline Find More Posts by NuFlya
Last edited by NuFlya; Oct 07, 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2010, 02:16 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuFlya View Post
Got bored and painted some stripes on the Champ.Tamiya acrylic black and white.G-flyer decals came off easy with some heat from hair dryer.Looks a little decathlon-ish.Love this little guy.
Very nice. I will have to decorate mine. I discovered a bunch of threads in the "Scale Electric Aircraft" forum about making your own water slide decals in your printer. You can use most any graphics program to create your own or import various graphics and print it out and stick it on the plane. The waterslide paper comes in both a clear and white sheets. This will be fun. I will have to spiff this little dude up.

Has anyone used colored packing tape for trim on the Champ?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 07, 2010, 10:16 PM
Just gotta mod. it
Northern British Columbia
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
I used electrical tape but can get it [coloured packing tape] at work. Can't figure out how to lay a strip down to cut out a design, and then pull it free to place on the Champ....put it on wax paper maybe?
canadianufo is offline Find More Posts by canadianufo
Old Oct 08, 2010, 12:33 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
NuFlya!

Very nice scheme on your Champ! Nicely done...

Darren/Skycadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
Old Oct 08, 2010, 12:50 AM
Joined Aug 2006
537 Posts
Can someone put the link to the forum with the wing slats? I did a massive search and came up with nothing
iceman88 is offline Find More Posts by iceman88
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:30 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Try a small sheet of Sintra - this is polyvinyl sheet used in signs. Tape does not stick to it well, and it is tough enough to cut into to for making your detailed decals...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2010, 03:31 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
A quick thank you to the poster initally mentioning the Dubro sport 1.23" wheels. Got mine today at the LHS, and painted them to match. Fit like a glove!

Darren/SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2010, 05:41 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
Like others have already done I swapped out wheels on my Champ yesterday. I really like the way she looks in the air with them. Next modification will be to put the P-51 Mustang motor in it. She flew beautifully this morning until the winds started kicking up so we packed her up and brought her home. The in air shot is one my wife took this morning.
Do those Dubro 123MS wheels fit the Champ axle (not wobbly)?

I'm taking a trip to the LHS in a few hours. If your wheels are a good fit, I'll get some!
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 08, 2010, 05:43 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianufo View Post
Can't figure out how to lay a strip down to cut out a design, and then pull it free to place on the Champ....put it on wax paper maybe?
I have one those rubber like self healing cutting mats. I just stick the tape to it, do my cutting and remove the tape part from the mat. I also use the mat to cut foam parts on when building a scratch build foamie. These mats are available at most craft stores in various sizes.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Oct 08, 2010, 06:24 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Do those Dubro 123MS wheels fit the Champ axle (not wobbly)?
Because they are skinnier than the stock tires they will move around a good bit but you can limit the play by adjusting the retaining clips and then put a drop of hot glue behind each one to hold them in place. I seem to recall the wheels fitting just fine without a bunch of slop in 'em. Take your landing gear with you and then you can check fitment while at the LHS.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Oct 08, 2010, 06:28 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Can someone put the link to the forum with the wing slats? I did a massive search and came up with nothing
Is this the one Iceman?

struts

Edit: I need more coffee. I saw slats but my maind said struts
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Last edited by ZackJones; Oct 08, 2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot :)
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:05 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Pictures of Champ Slats

Ember Citabria WIng Fences and slats
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 08, 2010, 08:52 AM
aka RTF
Long Island, NY
Joined Apr 2010
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Very nice. I will have to decorate mine. I discovered a bunch of threads in the "Scale Electric Aircraft" forum about making your own water slide decals in your printer. You can use most any graphics program to create your own or import various graphics and print it out and stick it on the plane. The waterslide paper comes in both a clear and white sheets. This will be fun. I will have to spiff this little dude up.

Has anyone used colored packing tape for trim on the Champ?
Thanks,after further review i decided 3 stripes would look best and added some orange highlight to the wing and tail.Tamiya X6 perfect orange match.I like the sound of those printer decals.May need some new skills for that .
NuFlya is offline Find More Posts by NuFlya