Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:13 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnZ. View Post
Could the Champ use a 450 mah 1s batt? Though it may be pretty heavy, it will provide a lot of flying, possibly 30+ minutes. Along with a keychain camera to... Just ideas
Yes. I've flown mine with a 500 mAh 1s battery for 45+ minutes with a keychain camera attached.

It's also a good way to add extra wear and tear on your motor --- I've gone through several motors on my champ in just the past 8 months.
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:38 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Welcome back mutha. Lets just say he re-invented himself...

Hmm FC had some good things to say in the past (albeit a little awkwardly) and some of his videos were entertaining.

My little champ sits in its box becoming increasingly jealous of the 3D Beast and the new Blade nano CPX. I must finish the paint work and get it back in the air.

I have been flying bigger stuff so much that I sometimes forget about my fab little micro.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:44 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
Yes. I've flown mine with a 500 mAh 1s battery for 45+ minutes with a keychain camera attached.

It's also a good way to add extra wear and tear on your motor --- I've gone through several motors on my champ in just the past 8 months.
Ha yes you forget that this plane is as fragile as it is because it just flys so well and with so little effort. But it is really small and motors, servos etc. are not as robust as bigger stuff.

Still, think of all the enjoyment that we have had with it.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:26 PM
United States, NC, Oak Ridge
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Bi-plane Champ

Biplane Champ!

CG moved back, so counter weight needed in nose. Flew very slow.

Just installed p-51 Motor for more speed and power to counteract extra weight. Too windy now. Maiden flight in about a week
rickcavanaugh is offline Find More Posts by rickcavanaugh
Last edited by rickcavanaugh; Feb 15, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:47 AM
A lurker
Canada, BC, Mill Bay
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
There is so many posts in here. I was curious to know if anyone has done any clear canopy mods to their champ? Maybe even with a pilot in it? Now that i think about it, it probably isnt even be possible as there isnt all that much room in that area anyways. Just a thought.
blithock is offline Find More Posts by blithock
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:58 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,557 Posts
You'd need to restore the strength considering how and where the wing attaches... without adding too much weight either. As much as I like scale and tinkering and have done some ambitious stuff to mine, it's a road I know I personally wouldn't go down... for a small aesthetic gain.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:04 AM
A lurker
Canada, BC, Mill Bay
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
Yeah I see your point, I to love the scale looks on planes but I guess its best just to ignore it on this plane.
blithock is offline Find More Posts by blithock
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:25 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcavanaugh View Post
Biplane Champ!

CG moved back, so counter weight needed in nose. Flew very slow.

Just installed p-51 Motor for more speed and power to counteract extra weight. Too windy now. Maiden flight in about a week
Welcome to RCG Rick. I like your Bi-Plane,,.. Champ style I hope the P-51 motor works out for ya.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blithock View Post
There is so many posts in here. I was curious to know if anyone has done any clear canopy mods to their champ? Maybe even with a pilot in it? Now that i think about it, it probably isnt even be possible as there isnt all that much room in that area anyways. Just a thought.
You and I think alike, I have thought about this as well and here is my plan when my champ gets here, Monday hopefully! I plan to take the top fuse half and vacu form it from clear plastic (like some of the rc auto bodies) I may include the bottom half as well (just to insure good paint surface). I will most likely order the fuse as a part to use as a mould for my vacu-form plastic fuse. I will check weight and I hope it will be close to factory using .020 thick plastic. Anyhoo thats the idea, any thoughts?
Zardoz337 (Lee)
zardoz337 is offline Find More Posts by zardoz337
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:09 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blithock View Post
I do remember seeing someone do that, although I'm not sure if it was here on RCG. I also don't remember the final outcome.
Zardoz337, your idea of vacuum molding, is an interesting concept.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Nice way to get clear windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz337 View Post
You and I think alike, I have thought about this as well and here is my plan when my champ gets here, Monday hopefully! I plan to take the top fuse half and vacu form it from clear plastic (like some of the rc auto bodies) I may include the bottom half as well (just to insure good paint surface). I will most likely order the fuse as a part to use as a mould for my vacu-form plastic fuse. I will check weight and I hope it will be close to factory using .020" thick plastic. Anyhoo thats the idea, any thoughts?
Zardoz337 (Lee)
If I was going to try that, I would make a female mold from plaster of paris, (a top one and a bottom one), and then vacuum-form the .020" clear plastic sheet inside those. That way your finished parts are exact copies of the original surface.
Have you tried vacuum-forming over foam model parts before? I would think that it would distort, from the heat.

I got my Champ out, to see how that project would go, and decided I would pass on doing windows, for now. Given what a great flyer it is, and how, when it is in the air, how much it looks like the 7AC Champ I rode in, in 1947, I'll be satisfied with the changing to more scale "NC" numbers I've put on it, and just fly it!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Last edited by Lancer31; Feb 24, 2013 at 09:03 AM. Reason: New thought.....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Molding clear canopy

I would like to claim this idea as my own..but it has been done before, I am simply using the ideas of others on this site for the champ. If anyone is interested checkout "Simple & Easy Clear Canopy Making........ " Thread started by J Morgan on this site about 7 years ago, great info on making a vacu-form and how to do it. The champ seems a natural for this process with the "turtle back" half of the top fuse just a big canopy! I am thinking if you have a vacu-form setup and a "reprap" 3D printer you can make just about any part you can imiagine
Well I expect the champ to get here tomorrow, The fuse I ordered should arrive in about a week or less so I get to fly and work on my vacu-form while waiting for the extra fuse to show up! Take care and happy flying all!
Zardoz337 (Lee)
zardoz337 is offline Find More Posts by zardoz337
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:29 PM
The Corsair Kid
United States, NV, Spring Creek
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
New champ!1

After perrusing this thread, i couldnt help myself... I bought a champ to do the mods to it to fly it...
QuinnZ. is offline Find More Posts by QuinnZ.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:56 AM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Feb 2013
14 Posts
I thought I could put an AR6400 brick in a HZ Champ and still use the stock Tx. When I plugged it in the right control stick that used to control rudder/elevator now controls the elevator and the aileron channel. The rudder now works off the left stick along with the throttle. How do you fix this?
Zero6echo is offline Find More Posts by Zero6echo
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:46 AM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero6echo View Post
I thought I could put an AR6400 brick in a HZ Champ and still use the stock Tx. When I plugged it in the right control stick that used to control rudder/elevator now controls the elevator and the aileron channel. The rudder now works off the left stick along with the throttle. How do you fix this?
You could buy the Flysky 9X transmitter and a transmitter module, program any of a number of open source alternatives into the transmitter, and make any channel do pretty much whatever you want.

You could see if the transmitter you have lets you mix 100% aileron to rudder.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW