HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:34 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
Okay, I just received a fresh batch of 600 mAh 1S 35 70C Nano-Techs. Not the best battery money can buy, I know, but that's what I have here. I plan to run them just a short time 3-4 minutes the first few cycles, and then be mindful thereafter as well.

So before I do something terrible to them right off the bat, is there a charging rate I should hit them with the first time? My charger is the generic Celectra variable rate 0.1 to 0.7 thing that comes with most E-flite RTF kits. What's my best rate to start, and then later after the initial break-in?

Thanks in advance for advice.
There's going to be alot of opinions on this. I have lipos ranging from 70mah to 5000mah and I charge most of them at 1C if I can afford the waiting time... and I usually can. That is being conservative, I have lipos that are rated for charging at 5C and I still don't charge them above 2C. Bottom line is I have happy lipos.

I'm more likely to stick to 1C on my cheaper lower quality lipos like the original white E-flite ones.

I'd charge my 5000mah lipos at 2C (10A) if my charger could do it on AC but needs to be DC powered to charge at 10A... so I charge those at just under 1.5C (7.4A) when my charger is on AC.

1C on your 600mah lipo is 0.6A so you can max that Celectra and you'll be fine regardless of whether you're breaking them in or doing subsequent charges... there's no setting on that charger that will overdo it on those or even on lesser quality lipos... at that capacity.(600mah)

What's the recommended maximum C for charge rate on that lipo? I'd halve it, personally, if I had a charger that could do it (Celectra won't)... and do 1C during break-in.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 02, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:10 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
Okay, I just received a fresh batch of 600 mAh 1S 35 70C Nano-Techs.
Wow - that's quite a load!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:31 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Wow - that's quite a load!

Gene K
Once you get North going, there's no stopping him Very precise

Here's a pretty good site I always pass off to noob electric flyers. Easy reading, easy to understand...I still refer to it
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:10 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Once you get North going, there's no stopping him Very precise

Mike.
Speaking of precise, you should see the gold mine of official Piper Super Cub blueprints I just came across in PDF format I've already downloaded 37 of them including the two I wanted most... a flat pattern for the windshield and a front view of the landing gear and suspension... both of which I can cut or bend to directly if I print them to scale I should end up with most scale HZ Super Cub ever done! I could tell you where to find them, but then I'd have to kill you :
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:00 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
460 Posts
(Mike! I didn't know you were one of the original Beetles)

Interesting, I actually helped to build/refurbish the original Cavern in Liverpool circa 1955/6 and played there a few times. If you remember a guy called Ron McKay the drummer with the Kinks at the time, he used to sit in with us on odd occasions. Those were the days !!

Off topic I know, but I do have three Champs. great little plane to chuck in the boot for that "just in case" situation.
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Last edited by geedee; Feb 03, 2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:41 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,144 Posts
Mike, I loved that pic bro. Nice haircuts!!!
North, you have to link us to those plans man. Dang it...I am just about to start a scratch build project. That is a tempting thought. I love cubs.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:04 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Speaking of precise, you should see the gold mine of official Piper Super Cub blueprints I just came across in PDF format I've already downloaded 37 of them including the two I wanted most... a flat pattern for the windshield and a front view of the landing gear and suspension... both of which I can cut or bend to directly if I print them to scale I should end up with most scale HZ Super Cub ever done! I could tell you where to find them, but then I'd have to kill you :
You are killing me, man! If you don't post those plans, I'm going to spam you with pictures of pre-WWI flying machine crashes.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
North: Spot on with your recommendations. My only concern is the size and weight of the 600mAh Nano-Tech lipo. I use the Hyperion 240mAh 1S 25C lipo, with good results. Fits the Champ perfectly, both position-wise and CG-wise.

RD

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
There's going to be alot of opinions on this. I have lipos ranging from 70mah to 5000mah and I charge most of them at 1C if I can afford the waiting time... and I usually can. That is being conservative, I have lipos that are rated for charging at 5C and I still don't charge them above 2C. Bottom line is I have happy lipos.

I'm more likely to stick to 1C on my cheaper lower quality lipos like the original white E-flite ones.

I'd charge my 5000mah lipos at 2C (10A) if my charger could do it on AC but needs to be DC powered to charge at 10A... so I charge those at just under 1.5C (7.4A) when my charger is on AC.

1C on your 600mah lipo is 0.6A so you can max that Celectra and you'll be fine regardless of whether you're breaking them in or doing subsequent charges... there's no setting on that charger that will overdo it on those or even on lesser quality lipos... at that capacity.(600mah)

What's the recommended maximum C for charge rate on that lipo? I'd halve it, personally, if I had a charger that could do it (Celectra won't)... and do 1C during break-in.
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:29 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
You are killing me, man! If you don't post those plans, I'm going to spam you with pictures of pre-WWI flying machine crashes.

Here you go. This is for the Piper PA-18 Super Cub, not the Champ. I know Mike has one, as do I I'll probably make a paypal donation... I'm happier than a pig in #%@$

http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/

Name: pa-18-drawings.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 146.1 KB
Description: Name: sample-gear.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 102.2 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:34 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
North: Spot on with your recommendations. My only concern is the size and weight of the 600mAh Nano-Tech lipo. I use the Hyperion 240mAh 1S 25C lipo, with good results. Fits the Champ perfectly, both position-wise and CG-wise.

RD
Yeah, I'm not familiar with the Nanotech. But I did see alot of guys in the Champ threads when I first subbed to them who were (are) using the 500mah or 550mah 120SR sized batteries.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Feb 03, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:12 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
794 Posts
Subscribed
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:28 PM
The Corsair Kid
United States, NV, Spring Creek
Joined Feb 2013
28 Posts
Total NOOB

Could the Champ use a 450 mah 1s batt? Though it may be pretty heavy, it will provide a lot of flying, possibly 30+ minutes. Along with a keychain camera to... Just ideas
QuinnZ. is offline Find More Posts by QuinnZ.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnZ. View Post
Could the Champ use a 450 mah 1s batt? Though it may be pretty heavy, it will provide a lot of flying, possibly 30+ minutes. Along with a keychain camera to... Just ideas
Look a few posts above
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:55 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Ridge, I almost fell out of my chair!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Me too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
I just spit my drink up thru my nose...too funny

Long time since I have read through this thread .... is this fishy-comics you speak of??? I have only gone back a couple of pages ... what have I missed??
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:14 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Long time since I have read through this thread .... is this fishy-comics you speak of??? I have only gone back a couple of pages ... what have I missed??
Welcome back mutha. Lets just say he re-invented himself...

Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012