Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOaMmaSh87 View Post
Will this work for 5043 props????

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._10_motor.html

Cheers in advance Ben
Hey Ben.

I do not mind spending a few dollars, like UNGN said, and ridgewalker having a video demonstration on the heat shrink video?

I was offered advice from Ridgewalker, pointing out the E-Flight 1.5mm adp.

It is a better fit, and will not cause issues.

The Prop saver is not needed because there is not enough force to break the prop, unless an unlucky incident occurres.

Hobbyzone champ last weekend flight Sony (4 min 52 sec)

Today If I had that prop saver I think I be searching for that band? see at the end the prop hitting the floor?

Also you have to add the prop and band on first, then tighten down the adp, and then to the prop shaft, and if pressure is applied I see the motor and mount coming loose, my thoughts

1. make your own. you feel good

2. get the e-flite 1.5mm adp

3 the 1.5mm saver has a bigger diameter that the prop may need drilling I got one sitting here.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:55 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
Yes, but it has a 2mm hole, which will be a lttle sloppy on on a 1.5mm shaft.

heat shrink tubing can be used if it's too sloppy.
Will it spin straight?

Cheers in advance Ben
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV49 V3 build log ( Kind of)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:44 AM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I crashed my Champ into a tree two days ago while testing out my new camera mount. (I'd say the camera mount is a success.... the flight wasn't.) Please spare me the "what a stupid place to fly" comments -- I've learned my lesson the hard way. I spent the last 2.5 days trying to get the plane back down.

I am now the owner of a new fishing rod and 30 feet of pvc pipe.

Champ hits a tree (1 min 22 sec)

(I walk into the very top left corner of the frame at about 1:10.)

There's a fairly long thread about the rescue attempts -- with a happy ending -- here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773479
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
1 1/4" electrical pvc pipe for 2 or 3 lengths is much stiffer than half or 3/4. Works
way better..... for future reference
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Jun 2012
93 Posts
Had to pick my Champ out of a tree on its maiden flight, so no lecturing from me.
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
I have used the lead weight tied to twine, toss it, then tie clothes line to that and pull it though and shake it like crazy. My Bud and I call it our Champ Retrieval System or (CRS). NO, NO, NOT that CRS...Can't Remember Sh..

I had the honor of using it first

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Some EMT is a lot better less flex, but I use a sling shot, fishline, then rope, sinkers thanks to a few members like Blu, viper, ridge for advice . Now I just carry the good ole sling and some twine as back up.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
668 Posts
Hello, new to the RC world but enjoying the hell out of it. I just bought a Champ. Question is what is the best mod to do. I have read P51 engine, prop, and battery? I was bored with the yellow so I started to shapie it.

Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:07 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,940 Posts
Welcome Gharddog03 The Champ is a beautiful first time trainer. There are many mods you can do but, for the first mod and, very simple... Raid your wifes make-up stuff. Look for some of this. Dab a couple of applications of "Sally Hansen Hard As Nails (clear)to the end end of the axle to prevent your wheels from coming off and disappearing for ever. You can also use CA. The idea is to form a "teardrop" at the end of the axle

Very simple (5 min.) and it will keep you from losing your wheel(s).

Others will chime in on other mods

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
Ground Pounder
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Welcome Gharddog03 The Champ is a beautiful first time trainer. There are many mods you can do but, for the first mod and, very simple... Raid your wifes make-up stuff. Look for some of this. Dab a couple of applications of "Sally Hansen Hard As Nails (clear)to the end end of the axle to prevent your wheels from coming off and disappearing for ever. You can also use CA. The idea is to form a "teardrop" at the end of the axle

Very simple (5 min.) and it will keep you from losing your wheel(s).

Others will chime in on other mods

Mike.
Sweet thanks Mike. Will do.
Gharddog03 is online now Find More Posts by Gharddog03
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,133 Posts
I have the mustang motor on mine with the stock prop, but really the extra speed doesnt get used from me as i fly in my front yard, but thats what is so fun about the champ, the slow capabilities.

One mod that i would recommend is to get some dubro 1 1/2" mini lite wheels.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...er-Mini/Detail

Heads up is a great place to order from with good prices and cheap shipping. Also, you can pick up some extra batteries.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-20C-EZ/Detail

they seem to be working out well for me.
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Today I lost the both hubs inner and out, of one side only? some Antz rolled them away for a project? razer scooter?

I preglued them guess those antz were desperate .

So some black tape wrapped and a dap of gorilla brown glue.

The dubrows are awesome, for me I think lighter now is better I may just cut some circles out as I only use the LG as cosmetics Lol, JK
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I crashed my Champ into a tree two days ago while testing out my new camera mount. (I'd say the camera mount is a success.... the flight wasn't.) Please spare me the "what a stupid place to fly" comments -- I've learned my lesson the hard way. I spent the last 2.5 days trying to get the plane back down.

I am now the owner of a new fishing rod and 30 feet of pvc pipe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT_X5...ature=youtu.be
(I walk into the very top left corner of the frame at about 1:10.)

There's a fairly long thread about the rescue attempts -- with a happy ending -- here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773479

Also a reminder for those that have multiple batteries...know which ones youcharged last before your flight...I was out yesterday at dusk flying the champ and daughter comes out to watch..I just finished telling her how battery life in the plane is very short in cold weather..was mid 30's here..just after finished telling her that my champ glided into the brush..I had no control at all..apparently I grabbed a battery that I had flown last time and did not recharge it.. And yes, I did throw in a battery after I retrieved it and was fine. First time I have done that..but just shows how easy you can lose this puppy real quick.
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:42 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,484 Posts
I've said before that I really don't think the cold is as hard on these small 1S lipo batteries as it maybe is on the main-board circuitry in some of these micro birds. I can fly full 6 minute flights in my mCX2 at 0C (32F) with the same lipos (EDIT: 160mah, I fly 125mah in the Scout) that I fly in my Scout CX and the Scout will shut down in under half a minute in the same temperature...

... I owned my Scout before I got the mCX2 and when it'd shut down so quickly running it outside in the winter I mistakenly chalked it up to being the battery that couldn't handle the cold and wrote off the whole idea of flying this and any future helis outside during the winter... until I came across some posts Martyn McKinney made in another thread suggesting that it's actually something about the design of the circuitry in the Scout CX main-board that is the culprit when it comes to cold...

... when I bought my mCX2 soon after getting my Scout last winter, I found out that there were no noticeable differences in flight times flying it indoors or outdoors... at or around freezing... give or take a few degrees. To head off the nay-sayers who think I might be making this up, I've also mentioned, when I've brought this up before, that I have a 6 minute unedited non-stop video on Youtube (linked to on my blog) of myself flying my mCX2 (in, I believe, January)... take maybe half a minute off that time for mishaps that grounded me temporarily, but it was also still going when I purposely brought it back down due to not having a timer and not wanting to actually run it to LVC.

I don't know if the Champ is susceptible to cold, I haven't flown mine in the cold yet, but if it is, I'd suspect it's the circuitry and not the actual battery (the battery generates its own heat as it discharges).
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Cold on these do not affect a lot, just some, and how much I care not to discuss, detail, detail, detail just adds fuel to the fire at rcgroups.com

I had just gone out, and will be placing a #20 on my battery, and that will stand for 20 minute flight time on a 500mah,

he battery should get three good flights 2 full power third with loss, before hitting LVC.

SO yes how we take care of them, LVC, charge, cold, storage.

Glad we can pull our champs out of a tricky situation and fly another day.