284 Posts
oops wrong thread!
drewwrx is offline Find More Posts by drewwrx
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:29 AM
Incorrigible
USA, AL, Silverhill
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
I cross-posted in the main Champ thread, but then remembered this one.

I am really thinking a Champ with floats would be a lot of fun. They would have to be ultralight for sure, maybe cut-and-fold out of depron sheet?
Nunja Business is online now Find More Posts by Nunja Business
Last edited by Nunja Business; Jun 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:24 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunja Business View Post
I cross-posted in the main Champ thread,
There's another one?
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jun 12, 2010, 03:48 PM
Incorrigible
USA, AL, Silverhill
Joined Jun 2010
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
There's another one?
This one: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216910
Nunja Business is online now Find More Posts by Nunja Business
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:30 PM
What package dear?
USA ILLINOIS
Joined Nov 2002
2,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Slensker View Post
I used 5 Minute Epoxy...It's like brand new...Aerobatics no problem. Usually when I shear a wing, like on my Playmate, I use Uhu Por, let it get on both break surfaces, pull them apart, put them back, pull apart once more, put together and they are GLUED!...Then rub a little bit more Uhu on the crack and put a strip of tissue over it. Do both sides of the wing. Rub it down smooth while the Uhu is wet, if you wait and it gets tacky, use some spit on your finger and rub it down. I have had Playmates back in the air looping in 20 minutes.
Wow thanks tested my (Hanger 9) 5 Minute Epoxy and it worked great on putting my tail back on. Is a little tail heavy now. I was thinking it would eat the foam
Hellysmack is offline Find More Posts by Hellysmack
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:54 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Jan 2009
68 Posts
ailerons?

has any one tried putting the ultra micro p-51 ailerons into the champ? I dont see why it cant be done, and I really would like to do this, but i cant find our how they are configured in the p-51, and cant find any good pictures that might show how they are set up. what do you guys think? would it be worth it? and also my champ seems a little tail heavy is this pretty normal with these planes?
brandonb5269 is offline Find More Posts by brandonb5269
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:02 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,163 Posts
I don't think ailerons would make a diff in the champ and you'd need a different brick for aileron servo anyways. The champ might seem a little tail heavy because it alwaya wants to climb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonb5269 View Post
has any one tried putting the ultra micro p-51 ailerons into the champ? I dont see why it cant be done, and I really would like to do this, but i cant find our how they are configured in the p-51, and cant find any good pictures that might show how they are set up. what do you guys think? would it be worth it? and also my champ seems a little tail heavy is this pretty normal with these planes?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:01 AM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
884 Posts
instead of alum. tubing for exhaust stacks I used cocktail straws...much lighter
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:57 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Ailerons on the Champ would be an involved process. If you were to attempt it, you would need to first assemble the following parts:
Equipping the Champ with ailerons would be an incredibly involved process. It will cost you about $90, or a crashed UM P-51D or UM Su-26 Sukhoi.

You must replace the RX brick that's in the Champ with the AR6400 RX that's used in the Mustang and first-generation Sukhoi. You will also need at least one Spektrum SPM2000 linear servo (the Mustang or Sukhoi's aileron servo.)

You have two choices with how you want to do the ailerons. You can cut full-span ailerons into the wings. The advantage to this is that it will only need the one servo. The disadvantage is that you will have to construct new pushrods to connect the ailerons to the UM P-51D or Sukhoi bellcrank, as the ones for those two planes are too short for the Champ.

You can use the scale ailerons actuated by either dual servos, or really long rods connecting to the single servo. For best control authority, the rods should be made from the smallest aluminum tubing you can get. CF will tend to twist. Dual-servos will allow you to set up spoilerons and reduce the required hardware to a couple pieces of music wire and some micro control horns. However, the wire from the linear servos won't be long enough. You will need to cut the plug plus an inch of wire off the servos. Then you will splice in enough fine-gauge wire to bridge the gap so the servos can plug in to the AR6400 RX.

Either way, you will have to cut the left and right wing panels off from the center part of the wing which sits on the fuselage. These panels will have to be re-attached using CF and the glue of your choice, and will have to be re-attached with scale dihedral . . . about three degrees or so.

Ailerons will cause your Champ to gain up to four grams of weight. Roll authority will see only modest improvement.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:02 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,617 Posts
Couldn't you use the Rudder channel for the Ailerons? This would sacrifice the Rudder though.
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:23 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Couldn't you use the Rudder channel for the Ailerons? This would sacrifice the Rudder though.
Well, you could re-use the Champ's 3-channel RX and not have to deal with the whole mixing the AR6400's rudder channel to pretend it's an aileron business. I suspect flying an aileron/elevator/throttle Champ might be about as much fun as trying to bank-and-yank the Parkzone UM Mustang (i.e. it will tend to make sloppy turns and drop the nose unless you bank gently and throttle up into the turn to keep the nose up.) Having the rudder available will allow for coordinated turns.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:17 PM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
I'd love to see the different paint/decal schemes that people are coming up with. I thought about creating another thread for "Show off your Champ", but then that' just one more thread to check. Here's hoping that some of you "modders" will post more pics of your handy work!!
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:46 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
I don't have a Champ, but I put them on a J3 Cub using an AR6400 and it was a waste of time, because the 6mm motor didn't like the extra weight (4g for ailerons, 2g for balance)

The Champ might work out better, since it has the 8.4mm motor.

The Mustang/Sukhoi bellcrank and torque rods should work. New torque rods are easy enough to bend up from Music wire and heat shrink, if they don't.

The plane likely won't roll well after the mods, but it will probably be able to turn tighter and transition from right turns to left faster
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:49 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
There is no Rudder channel on the Champs brick.

I looked for it, I couldn't find it. Unless there is some switch to turn it on that Horizon isn't telling us about, the Brick is 3 channel.

Keep your green dots, for now.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN