HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:12 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Man, I must be getting old Mike. You forget what I tell ya. ahahahahhahaha. I know I mentioned the elmors solution to ya. And on some planes (sometimes) a lightweight spackle can be a good friend. Use your igmagionation bro. You could prolly build a new airplane out of foam plates, and spackle. GO FOR IT!!!
Woot hoot.
Lee
You are right Lee. Right now I have enough info and knowledge (thanks to you all). I'm gonna "GO FOR IT!!!"

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
243 Posts
I recently got a Champ to train my 7 year old son to fly, and decided to start out with a buddy box setup with my DX6i and a DX5 I have. We have flown this setup 5 batteries now, and I am a little annoyed by having to do a bind everytime I change out a flight battery. Has anyone else here on this forum tried to fly this airplane with a DX6i and found the same issue, and if so, is there some way around this annoyance?
sredlin is online now Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sredlin View Post
I recently got a Champ to train my 7 year old son to fly, and decided to start out with a buddy box setup with my DX6i and a DX5 I have. We have flown this setup 5 batteries now, and I am a little annoyed by having to do a bind everytime I change out a flight battery. Has anyone else here on this forum tried to fly this airplane with a DX6i and found the same issue, and if so, is there some way around this annoyance?
Are you turning the TX on first?

You should not have to rebind every time.

There appears to be an issue with your Champ Brick.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,708 Posts
Quote:
As long as you unplug the battery after a flight then switch off the radio there should be no need to rebind.

I presume you have the Champ in a model memory on the DX6i?

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
My dog ate my airplane
Joined Dec 2008
243 Posts
Yes I have the Champ as a model in the memory & I always switch the TX on first & off last. I hope there's not a problem with the brick? I think I will experiment with the stock TX and see if it does the same thing, I haven't even snipped the zip tie holding it in the box yet. And if I find the same issue I'll contact Horizon Hobby and see what they might have to say? Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,307 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have the Champ as a model in the memory & I always switch the TX on first & off last..
Yes, that first part is necessary... The second part, not so much... from my experience

Quote:
I hope there's not a problem with the brick? I think I will experiment with the stock TX and see if it does the same thing, I haven't even snipped the zip tie holding it in the box yet. And if I find the same issue I'll contact Horizon Hobby and see what they might have to say? Thanks for the help.
I've gone through major binding issues with my brick more than once and regardless of Tx used. I've discussed it either here or the other thread more than once. I have another fuse with electronics but have been involved in other areas of RC for the last while so I haven't returned to my Champ project yet.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
247 Posts
Hey, what's the best way to add lights to my Champ now? (All those kits from Tiny Brite Lights and SFDesignSolutions are no longer available.)

Is it best to buy some other kit and modify it, or should I build from scratch?

I've gotten all the new parts for my rebuild of the champ and I've done three coats of SkyCadet's glue mod. I'm waiting for my 808 camera in the mail. But I ain't done modding this plane. I need lights, dangit!
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,307 Posts
If you can wait a couple of weeks 'til I'm done work for the season I'll have time to get into it in detail...

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:19 PM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Yes. I want that. Gimmegimmegimme.
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Me tooooooooooo I want a set
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:16 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,307 Posts
Forgot that I put a video on Youtube of the LEDs...

link is in this post...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4259

EDIT

click image to watch at YouTube

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Yes I have the Champ as a model in the memory & I always switch the TX on first & off last. I hope there's not a problem with the brick? I think I will experiment with the stock TX and see if it does the same thing, I haven't even snipped the zip tie holding it in the box yet. And if I find the same issue I'll contact Horizon Hobby and see what they might have to say? Thanks for the help.
If you are using the DX6i as the instructor/master transmitter, try turning it on first (first on, last off is correct), then connect the buddy box cord to the back of the DX6i. I have had a similar problem, using two DX6i's, and found that the plane might have a problem determining which transmitter is the one to which it is bound, when the buddy box cord is already attached to the "master" unit. Try this and see if it helps. And yes, I am using my Champ as a trainer, with the buddy box arrangement.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
My dog ate my airplane
Joined Dec 2008
243 Posts
Thanks for that tip, I'm pretty sure I tried disconnecting the buddy box and cords and it still required re-binding, but I'll try that again to make sure. It would make sense that a buddy box setup might affect it since the trainer switch is used for binding as well as buddy box transfer of control, but I haven't had this problem when doing the buddy box thing with my other airplanes and normal receivers, so it must be specific to the micro brick receiver in the Champ? I'll do a little experimenting and post my findings if there's anything significant that I discover?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
69 Posts
In case you ever wondered what it would be like...

I installed a my AS3X 1S brick from my Spitfire to see if I could fly the Champ in more wind.

I only had to switch the control horns on the elevator and rubber to the opposite side of each control surface to match how the Spitfire is. Secondly I had to mount the AS3X board on it's side, again matching the Stock Spitfire positions.

Then it was flight time.

It was pretty windy...gust over 10 mph, perfect to test my "new improved Champ"

As I threw it in the air I was trying to remember that the rudder stick is now my left stick not the right stick like on the stock Champ set-up.
The servos were chirping like crazy trying to stablize the Champ. The Champ got tossed arround quite a bit even with the AS3X working like crazy to smooth things out.

On a 3 channel plane the AS3X cannot overcome the need to have alierons aiding in the flight stabilization. It was fun to see it try though.

It was interesting to try but not wanting to add alierons to my Champ I will be changing it back out to my stock brick.
BumpierDrake960 is offline Find More Posts by BumpierDrake960
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:00 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
If you can wait a couple of weeks 'til I'm done work for the season I'll have time to get into it in detail...

Ready to be the best plane in the world right there huh?
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower