HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:16 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Looks great! I think the saddle reinforcement is actually one of the things I did that made sense ( along with the packing tape leading edge reinforcement). Crashes involving the wing bashes up the rear saddle making alignment so-so(crabbing). A clean slice to squarely remove a sliver of foam and square up the fuse with inserted and glued wood. This isn't the thread for this but you'll find the good, bad, and just plain ugly stuff mods.
Chris
Chris... yeah this isn't the topic for this so I'm going to pm you 'cause I still don't get how reinforcing the rear saddle solves anything since it's now just the wood smashing into the rear saddle instead of the plastic thing on the rear of the wing... I don't see the difference... the load isn't spread any differently.
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Well today I bought a new Champ.. since my last adventure proved to be a mess. It has been retired for parts and the new champ is fine so don't think I'm going to try to mod it for a while except maybe a bigger battery lol
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45 View Post
well today i bought a new champ.. Since my last adventure proved to be a mess. It has been retired for parts and the new champ is fine so don't think i'm going to try to mod it for a while except maybe a bigger battery lol
+1 Just fly it and have fun
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,399 Posts
hey does anyone have a champ brick that they want to sell mine burnt out
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Might be the spur gear. Happens on mine sometimes if i crash with power on (I try not to though..sometimes stuff happens tho )
Look at the teeth where it's catching, maybe a damaged tooth or dirt in there. Try using a hobby knife to reshape or clean the affected teeth.

If not new shafts are $3 with the gear, may as well get some
do u have a brick i can buy mine burnt out
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
I need a replacement tail if anyone has any laying around.lol J/k well actually I do need 1 just havent got to the LHS to get 1. It only has minor damage but i want to replace it anyway to keep that new look to it..LOL
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, AL, Randolph
Joined Mar 2004
254 Posts
Whats a little bit of tail between friends
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45 View Post
I need a replacement tail if anyone has any laying around.lol J/k well actually I do need 1 just havent got to the LHS to get 1. It only has minor damage but i want to replace it anyway to keep that new look to it..LOL
Why not use the existing tail to lay out a pattern on cardboard or melamine?
Then you can simply cut a new one from a foam plate.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:11 PM
I Am a Proud Registered User
United States, MA, Hamilton
Joined Sep 2012
219 Posts
im getting one and i live lakefront so floats would be a nescessity what shuold i nake them out of
mass flyer is offline Find More Posts by mass flyer
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:04 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass flyer View Post
im getting one and i live lakefront so floats would be a nescessity what shuold i nake them out of
Do a search here on the forum... there are plans already made and instructions and what to use for material. I have it all bookmarked or downloaded but am in the middle of a bunch of stuff right now if you can wait a bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
I flew my Champ stock with floats...The plane with a fresh battery will take off fairly well...But after flying a few minutes the plane won't do touch and goes...Simply not enough power...I now have Sbach guts to install in the Champ on floats...With the Sbach brick I can now add ailerons to the Champ...With a 2500kv motor on 2S the Champ on floats should perform well...I'm going to cut the cowl like the Sbach and attach magnets to the cowl to be able to install the 2S batts...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:11 AM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
220 Posts
Hey folks. I just discovered this thread today and I've managed to read the first 49 pages--so sorry if this has been addressed already.

I put a Tenergy 500mAh 12c battery in my battered and beaten old champ and went out last evening to find out how long it would last.

My personal flight time record? FORTY THREE MINUTES! I might have gotten to an hour, but at about the halfway point some folks wandered over and asked about the plane so I did a bit of hot doggin'.

So what's the longest you've kept the champ aloft?
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Last edited by FunkeyMonk; Oct 03, 2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Edited to fix my incorrect capitalization of mAh
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:43 AM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
220 Posts
A brief addendum and reminder about the volatility of LiPos --
Just a few hours after that last post about my 550mAh Tenergy battery, I figured I'd cut off the extra wires and connector that I wasn't using. (Since I'd decided to dedicate the battery to my Champ) Lesson learned! Cut ONE WIRE AT A TIME. When I snipped the two wires simultaneously, the very brief short caused by my wire cutters sent smoke flying and the battery very nearly ended up toasting my whole plane. (I had glued the battery into my champ!)

Ahh well. Back to the little stock 150mAh battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
I put a Tenergy 500maH 12c battery in my battered and beaten old champ and went out last evening to find out how long it would last.
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:10 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
A brief addendum and reminder about the volatility of LiPos --
Just a few hours after that last post about my 550mAh Tenergy battery, I figured I'd cut off the extra wires and connector that I wasn't using. (Since I'd decided to dedicate the battery to my Champ) Lesson learned! Cut ONE WIRE AT A TIME. When I snipped the two wires simultaneously, the very brief short caused by my wire cutters sent smoke flying and the battery very nearly ended up toasting my whole plane. (I had glued the battery into my champ!)

Ahh well. Back to the little stock 150mAh battery.
Cut and only work with ONE wire at a time when working with a battery..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:38 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
Cut and only work with ONE wire at a time when working with a battery..
Yup. That's rule #1 when changing lipo (or any) battery connectors. I put Deans plugs on all my RC car batteries... those are 5000mah... you don't want to short one of those ers
RCG Plus Member