Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Which Dubro tires? The 123 sport ones?

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_fighter78 View Post
I put those dubro tires on my champ but it was way underpowered had to fight to keep it airborne, someone mentioned replacing the centers with "depron" what is depron?
Did you buy the foam ones... not the rubber ones? ... I hardly notice a difference with them on other than it's more stable. Depron is a brand name for a type of Styrofoam. But here's a better idea... don't use anything at all for the center, we just slide the foam on over the the Champ's stock tires after removing the Du-Bros' plastic hub. The extra weight is only 3 or 4 grams per wheel. If your Du-Bros are not 4 or 5g stock then those aren't what we're using. They should be dark gray high density closed cell foam for the tire part... it's velvety to the touch.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Hey ya'll modded the Champ with the brick from the um p-51 got it all working. added some heavy duty packing tape to the wing edges and also painted some elmers glue to the front top and bottom of the fuse to strengthen it a bit. took her out today and it didnt seem to have much lift power and wanted to nose dive. Now I didnt put the P-51 motor in it just the brick. Would that have made the difference that I need to keep her airborne? Also I nosed her into the ground and broke the wing slap off at the fuse. No biggie thinking about ordering a replacement fuse and wing and rudder but when added up you could almost get a new complete setup. The main reason for the new brick was because the Champ brick stopped working on 1 of the servos. So any ideas Im all ears...
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:45 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Personally, I can't see adding anything to the leading edges of the wing, or painting the fuselage with something that might provide more strength. Weight is the real killer of performance with these micro's. The Champ is no exception, especially when you consider that the motor, although same size as the Mustang motor (PKZ3616), is of lesser power. I would, and have gone the route of souping up the Champ with the Mustang motor, retaining the same Champ brick, and adding nothing as far as a coating is concerned, other than some black trim tape to set off the orange & yellow colors. FWIW.

RD

Oh yeah, an AMA sticker and some "fake" ailerons completes the package, along with a Hyperion 240/1 25C Lipo.
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Sep 05, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Nice... Thanks for the info the main reason for the tape on the leading edge of the wings was mainly because the edges were getting a little rough lol.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:53 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic45 View Post
Nice... Thanks for the info the main reason for the tape on the leading edge of the wings was mainly because the edges were getting a little rough lol.
You just gotta stop huggin trees with that Champ, then you would not need the tape on the wings
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
lol not trees light poles at the local ball field...the plane is pretty resiliant it smacks it at times and flops around and keeps on flying..lol
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:40 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Hey Doug. Where did you get the trim tape and at what cost?
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:48 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,496 Posts
since i fly the t28 micro, is it easy to learn the champ without ailerons and using 2 sticks. at this point i mostly fly with one stick only. trying to force myself to use the rudder.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:03 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,280 Posts
@eagle1933

Besides the more expensive roll of trim tape, your LHS should have 3 foot strip sheets of trim sheet and striping tape from 1/16" to 1/4" for 2 or 3 bucks...

vinyl (can curve it) striping...
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=GPMQ1320

trim sheets/tape (decal type stuff... kind of like colored packing tape)...

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=TOPQ4118

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...d_id=HANU80100

the thick stripe, windows and window dividers are trim sheet... the pin stripes are the vinyl striping in 1/16"...

Name: super-cub-mods-04.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 35.7 KB
Description: Name: super-cub-mods-02.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 53.2 KB
Description:

You could probably cover your entire Champ in this stuff and still not be adding as much weight as just one of my Champ's foam bushwheels
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Sep 06, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
Hey Doug. Where did you get the trim tape and at what cost?
I'm told it's automotive trim tape, from Pep Boys, or some source like that. One of our other flyers did this to his Champ and I really liked it. So, he gave me a long piece of the trim tape, thus the cost was "0". Amazing how a simple cosmetic mod such as this really helps improves the looks of the plane!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:21 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
@eagle1933

Besides the more expensive roll of trim tape, your LHS should have 3 foot strip sheets of trim sheet and striping tape from 1/16" to 1/4" for 2 or 3 bucks...

the thick stripe, windows and window dividers are trim sheet... the pin stripes are the vinyl striping in 1/16"...
Nice job North! When I first saw it I wondered if your Cub was a new or older one. I see the rear wing saddle is virginal so it looks new. I presume you've been all over the Cub forums about the saddle and fifty other 'improvements'
Good luck with her. Be careful as you can spend so much more money on it compared to the Champ that crashes become less " Oh well, easy fix" and more "Ughh! Oh S#*t" Packing tape is your new friend!
Chris
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:30 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Thanks for the trim tape posts.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:42 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Nice job North! When I first saw it I wondered if your Cub was a new or older one. I see the rear wing saddle is virginal so it looks new. I presume you've been all over the Cub forums about the saddle and fifty other 'improvements'
Good luck with her. Be careful as you can spend so much more money on it compared to the Champ that crashes become less " Oh well, easy fix" and more "Ughh! Oh S#*t" Packing tape is your new friend!
Chris
Thanks, Chris. Yeah, I have to do the saddle and the battery box before I maiden it I'm not sure if I'm going to do the Popsicle stick in the saddle 'cause it'll leave a gap so I'm thinking of other ways. Actually, I'm not even sure how either of those mods even prevent anything when I think about how they're done and what they're supposed to do (especially the battery box Popsicle stick mod... seems like the foam strip that'll still be sandwiched between the b-box and the wooden stick can still just rip out).

... but this is how it will look when it's done, even got my white viny registration numbers done up at a local print shop this week...

Name: AirlinersNetPhotoID2128625.jpg
Views: 90
Size: 147.3 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:26 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Thanks, Chris. Yeah, I have to do the saddle and the battery box before I maiden it I'm not sure if I'm going to do the Popsicle stick in the saddle 'cause it'll leave a gap so I'm thinking of other ways. Actually, I'm not even sure how either of those mods even prevent anything when I think about how they're done and what they're supposed to do (especially the battery box Popsicle stick mod... seems like the foam strip that'll still be sandwiched between the b-box and the wooden stick can still just rip out).

... but this is how it will look when it's done, even got my white viny registration numbers done up at a local print shop this week...
Looks great! I think the saddle reinforcement is actually one of the things I did that made sense ( along with the packing tape leading edge reinforcement). Crashes involving the wing bashes up the rear saddle making alignment so-so(crabbing). A clean slice to squarely remove a sliver of foam and square up the fuse with inserted and glued wood. This isn't the thread for this but you'll find the good, bad, and just plain ugly stuff mods.
Chris
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc