HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:16 PM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerec6 View Post
Cool, thanks! Just one question, though, how to I bend the U on the control rod?
I use a needle nose pliers and carefully squeese the top of the u together if I need to shorten the length.

If it needs to be a bit longer I squeese right at the bottom of the u, which spreads the u open a bit.
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:38 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
@North
I don't know much of this stuff but on other threads more motor = more battery draw so you're probably right in my book. The supplied batteries usually increase in mAh as you get more motor. But, I don't know what the power curve is on these motors. Perhaps more torque and thrust comes on at lower speed and absolute power is at the high end???
Would a prop change help? There is a lot of data on them out there and I've noticed that getting off the ground seems to require more throttle and once airborne I can relax it somewhat. And, while you're you're shaving milligrams, there are only three vent holes in the bottom of the fuse. A couple more wouldn't look out of place. Is there a smaller wire gauge for the LEDs? I'm not sure how you've pathed the wires to the extremities. Maybe strip the casing off one or both if you can prevent shorting. How much paint is on the plane, including 'touch-ups' and repairs? I still say lose the bush tires for this experiment and go stock( or a wee bit bigger if you must )
Good luck
Thanks, man. No worries. I'll get it worked out... I'm almost there just going down one tire size and back to a single 150/160mah battery, and haven't even hollowed the tires yet... don't know if I really want to do that anyway, I like the lower CoG stabilizing effect they have... less tippy... who needs as3x?

There is alot of paint touch ups, some very small repairs... some mods that don't even register on my scale... might be time to transfer everything over to the nice new unrepaired unpainted new fuse w/electronics It'll get smd LEDs at some point instead of the 3mm dome ones. I'm going to get the strobe circuit weight reduced one way or another... just doing that will probably put me where I want to be... back to 50g... I really like it at that weight. If it takes a different prop or more powerful motor to overcome extra weight then that means it's also a speed increase that's "fixing" the problem... which is going in the wrong direction I want to go with this for "scale" flying with it... so weight modification is the only answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjW View Post
You can up to the point where you don't have any climb at full power. Then you need to have more power.
As far as speed goes, another option is to add flaps -- more camber -- to the wing. This will create more lift at low speed, but it will also add drag, which will require... more power to maintain the same speed.
Somewhere way back in the thread, ISTR someone adding flaps of clear plastic to add additional area and camber while maintaining a stock look from a distance.
Exactly Yes, I considered that... that would be one reason to upgarde to the P-51 motor. It doesn't address that last sentence I wrote above to Airhead... but, at least you'd have the extra oomph at the top end to get it to climb. But I'm still going to be flying around at or above half throttle for level flight (if I don't dump the weight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
North,

The 4-site and P51 motors, seemingly have more power (better RPM handling at the same current draw). I replaced one of my uChamp's motors with a 4-Site unit, and it went much better. There was a significant variance in the motor performances when this little model first came out, but over time, I am seeing many of my friends who recently got a micro (u) Champ have plenty of performance with the stock unit.

SkyCadet
That is what I wanted to know and, if that's truly the case, would be the reason right there that I'd go ahead and install it. And this is not a fix for my weight issue... this is something to do once I've resolved it... which I will. Best of both worlds... still able to cruise around under half throttle but have that extra top boost if you need it
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:02 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,485 Posts
forgot to add...

... one more reson to switch all my mods over to the new fuse w/electronics...

Am going through that crap again like a month ago where I can't get the Champ and Tx to see each other when powering them both up. Hasn't happened since then, but it is now Really bummed me out Sunday evening when I took it out to my Dad's to show it off... managed to get it to connect and fly a few times off his second story back deck and out over the corner of the lake he backs onto and back onto the deck, but didn't get to take it out front into the cul-de-sac to show off my scale wheel landings
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:38 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
But it doesn't work like that if you're carrying extra weight. "just don't floor it" means you dump it into the ground. When it's lighter, you can fly it slower... less lift required, so, slower air over the wing.

I'm not asking anyone to search back though the posts. If anyone knew, at the time I posted it, I figure they would have answered it at the time. It was regarding what do people mean when they say the P-51 motor is more powerful? If it means it produces more power at the same current draw compared to the stock motor, that helps me. If it means it just sucks more current to get that extra power, using up battery faster, that's not really what I'm after... I can get the same effect by just throttling the stock motor higher... also using up battery quicker.
Ok I guess I misunderstood what you were getting at. My contention was that there is no draw back to put a more powerful motor in the Champ if the motor is the same size and weight as the stock motor. It wont use more current than the stock motor if you don't use the extra power it is capable of. But the power is there if you ever need it. I think the P51 motor is the same size and weight as the Champ motor but has a hotter winding in order to produce more power.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:27 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Ok I guess I misunderstood what you were getting at. My contention was that there is no draw back to put a more powerful motor in the Champ if the motor is the same size and weight as the stock motor. It wont use more current than the stock motor if you don't use the extra power it is capable of. But the power is there if you ever need it. I think the P51 motor is the same size and weight as the Champ motor but has a hotter winding in order to produce more power.
BGR, this is what I was thinking in one of my replies to North. When I replaced my stock Ember motor that had quickly died due to a broken lead with the J-3 Cub motor it was a straight drop in. All reports on that thread said it had about a lot more power. It is very noticeably better, AND, I see no drop in battery life or flight times when I fly the way I always have and mostly stay away from WOT. The extra zip has gotten me out of trouble more than once.
Off-topic a bit, there is a series of books about how to use computer operating systems called: "The Missing Manual; the book that should have been in the box." Well, in my opinion, the J-3 should have been the motor in the Ember from Day 1.
Back on topic; My stock motor in the Champ seems to be better matched to the plane than the others even with the +8gm bush wheels. I've had all sorts of modding ideas but have cooled my jets and just enjoy flying for now.
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:32 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Guys i'm having issues with my prop shaft/ gear on my champ

a few nights ago i lost power on my champ but retained elevator/ rudder control. luckily managed to bring my champ down safe

i checked the motor (mini mustang) an prop (5043) an it seemed the prop shaft gear wasn't fully engaging with the motor gear, just very lightly touching so basically the gears were slipping

i have just changed the prop shaft to one of these

now the gears mesh alot better but still not great. i have a feeling i will wear away my prop shaft sprocket in a few flights

anyone else had this?
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:26 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,487 Posts
Can you tighten up the plastic nut on the back of the shaft?
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:01 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
yeah i have tried that, when i replaced the shaft yesterday with a brand spanking new one

it seems to me that the gears are only just touching if that ,makes sense?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:23 AM
United States, IL, Essex
Joined Feb 2010
1,487 Posts
My shaft gear comes right out to the end of the motor gear too. It still has full contact but its right out to the end. Its been that way for a year and a half now with no problems. The only thing I can think of is maybe the motor isnt as far forward into the motor mount as it could be?
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:16 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
ahh, thats a good shout i will check the motor tonight

how do you guys secure your motor?

im running the micro p51
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
ahh, thats a good shout i will check the motor tonight

how do you guys secure your motor?

im running the micro p51
A little foam glue on the motor will keep it from rotating in the mount and will allow the motor to be twisted out of the mount, later.

Make sure the motor is all the way forward.

The Spur gear can slide on the shaft. Be sure that it isn't too far forward and the shaft can move back forth in the mount between the gear and the nut.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:55 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
205 Posts
To attach motors, I use red silicone gasket maker. It dries fairly hard but not brittle. Easy to cut with a hobby knife if you have to remove it. Apply in dabs using a toothpick.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
I've had that problem just the other day with my champ. Problem ended up being the motor mount. Looks like it deformed a bit from an old motor getting too hot and the gears slightly spread apart from each other. New mount, shaft, and motor ordered.
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,297 Posts
Hi
Does the Champ have a brushed motor?
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Oct 2011
94 Posts