HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Thanks for the great info on flying this great little plane! I have a firebird commander 2 from HZ which is need of a rebuild and is only two channel... And a Skysurfer, which I have flown twice for a total of 12 seconds airborne.... Hope the Champ will let me build a basic feel for rc flight before trying the SS again. What a blast this was... Especially for my Dad to watch... He learned to fly in a Champ during high school in the 1950s. My choices at HZ for the batt seem to be: a 150/25c by Kowall Energy, a 160/25c by Tenergy or a 500/12c (!) by Tenergy, which requires a bit of cutting to make fit. These are listed under hop ups and accessories for the Champ. Is 500 overkill? I think i was flying for probably 15 minutes last night witht the stock 150/12c that came with it... Again, flight time is more important than power... Other than lifting ability for an on board cam...
Mikeamondo is offline Find More Posts by Mikeamondo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeamondo View Post
Maidened my brand new Champ today! Dead calm at sunset, flew like a dream! My wife and kids got it for me for my birthday along with a 50 dollar HZ gift cert. I would like to get a bigger battery, and am looking for consice recommendations on batts avail at HZ. I have seen mentioned the 160, 240 (which I dont see at HZ) and a 500. I am looking for long, scale looking flights and not so much hotdogging and aerobatics.... ... And as a follow up quest... What other basic mods should i consider next with my 50 bucks? Id like to carry my onboard cam if poss...
1. 500 mah bat

1a. Jst plug adp

1c um micro extention for 240 mah

2. 5043 prop

3 1.5mm adaptor

4. 1.23 dubrow wheels

You do not need to go overboard. A 500 mah bat will give you 2.5 flights of 12 minutes per with resting. Will also provide a better handle in wind. You do not need to cut the bat area.

You can also. Put on the Keycam with all stock and as well the 500 mah if you want just a little more UMPH you then opt for the 5043 and 1.5mm adaptor.

500mah run about ten bucks well anything today cost ten dollars.

You can contact rcbabble he sells hyperons and the prop and extension

We all have to start somewhere.

Happy birthday. If the gift are is your route possably a person would be kind to swap fairly to use Just a suggestion
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
How much weight will the champ carry? How heavy is the keychain cam?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:36 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
han champ will carry the Hobbyking wingcam that is Heavier than the keycam. no scale cannot say?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:37 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Three opinions.

Option A Paint right over, Another hobbiest psersonally said., his opinion

Option B have one do the work for you

option C DIY.

video to come

Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:53 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,843 Posts
Quote:
Champ can carry quite a bit of weight for it's size.
Just remember the more weight the slower it will climb...but as Fishy said the extra weight of the 500 mah battery sure helps the Champ deal with some wind.(providing the pilot can fly the plane in the wind).

My first Champ with lots of glue repairs was up to AUW of 84 g -89 g.
Still flew with the 500 mah and the # 3 keychain camera...it wasn't no sporty Champ but still flew fine cruising around,just couldn't fly as slow as before.

My #3 with a piece of velcro (the black type) weighs 16g and the #16 with a piece of velcro and a 6'' string tether weighs 18.5g.

Champ will carry either one with no trouble (with T-28 motor and 5043 prop).

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:15 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Heres a link to an ebay listing for cam I have.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Spy-Fly-...#ht_7173wt_902

Weighs 20 grams as is.... So it should be fine. I guess I could de-case if if needed... Just have to test it out and see how it flies!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Honestly I go with the keycam. I do not want to be with something like that that will cause drag and you be zigging, and zagging and out of control trying to gain control.

I placed my hk wing cam on and I was zigging, while trying to zag. amd I had no drag.

maybe I shall get out there with two cams and show ya lol
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Yeah.... A bit concerned about the drag.... But I have been very happy with the vids Ive made so far.... Heres a link to one....
better day, better video.AVI (3 min 52 sec)

I was thinking about slinging it between the gear.... It has proven incredibly durable, surving several hard crashes and at least one thunderstorm while stuck in a tree! That was my fault.... Not the cams. . Of course, my firebird commander 2 is a good bit heavier than the Champ!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
never doubting. Just do not expect it to climb on the spot. sometimes addign all the added weight may not be good for the wing. nice flying there cam is by far good, just hte Keycam is a slimmer design, all I am saying.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Just posting for comparison sake.... I may order one of the keychain cams just to play around with... By the way... Should the prop come to a stop on full throttle off? Mine keeps a bit of power even with the stick all the way back.... Makes a nice slow glide, but seems like it should come to full off....
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:36 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Should the prop come to a stop on full throttle off? Mine keeps a bit of power even with the stick all the way back.... Makes a nice slow glide, but seems like it should come to full off....
Not unusual if there's enough airflow to freewheel the prop. After the plane stops the prop stops? If yes then all is OK.

Programmable ESCs have a 'brake' feature, used normally for cars. This is -not- a good feature for planes because you don't want anything to slow you down in flight.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
There is no brake for the Champ. so when you place Stick to Zero, the propeller will still spin, due to air flow. if it is at the other way around throtle at 100% and cuts out, then the motor is on its way, or battery is LVC.

For placing a brake on the Propeller i am sure some friction can be worked with but that may put a strain on the Um motor?
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined May 2012
113 Posts
Cool... Thought it still had some power, but I guess it is just windmilling.... I flew her again this eve, with my camera attached.... As expected, slows to climb, but still flew nice and stable.... Unfortunately, the memory was full and I got none of it! Gonna try again soon and post the results.... Slung the camera between the struts with rubber bands.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined May 2012
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Three opinions.

Option A Paint right over, Another hobbiest psersonally said., his opinion

Option B have one do the work for you

option C DIY.

video to come
I'm not certain what you are trying to say in this post ...

But I am hoping that you have found a GREAT NEW FAST way to remove the paint from a Champ ... and you are posting a video explaining it.

If that is the case ... please hurry up!!!

I am in the middle of a build/mod using a Champ ... and wet sanding and/or rubbing with alcohol is taking FOREVER!!!
TedD60 is online now Find More Posts by TedD60