HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:18 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,567 Posts
Nice, bro

I have a new fuse, tail, wing, prop, prop shaft, decals, landing gear and P51 motor sitting waiting for a home once I've prototyped all my mods I want to try on my current and 1st Champ... the crash test dummy I think it's not even a month old yet.
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX9 HobbyZone Champ RUD>AIL Mix
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,824 Posts
Airhead, here is a great thread I've been following as, someday I hope to get an 808 #16 when I can save enough coin..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56994&page=427

I hope you enjoy it. It looks like a lot of fun

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
If and when you opt for that cam take advice to take good care of it
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
So, stupid me, I had thought the Champ was a toy company's variation of a Piper Cub! So, actually an Aeronica vintage plane of similar style. Just for kicks I downloaded a bunch of pics to see how detailed the design was. it looks like Hobbyzone did a reasonable job of the shape.
1. The colour's too tangerine compared to the deep yellows I see but pictures are all over the yellow spectrum so tangerine it is. It IS visible in the sky.
2. The black windows bug me a bit. In all the flying shots I have you can see straight through the plane. Barring any surgery, I think that at least using a silver reflective foil instead of the black would better simulate glass, reflecting the sky, etc.
3. The landing gear... It's a little flimsy. I lost one envelope the other night and it absolutely needs that yellow triangle to give it some 'weight'. Has anyone experimented with UM functional gear - hinged struts and bungee suspension?
4. Wing struts wouldn't be all that hard. I can imagine they left them off to reduce damage and cost.
5. Dummy exhaust and soot trails could be doable.
6. Though not technically a problem, in response to the lost plane issue, I thought the large numbers on the wing could instead be a phone number in the same type size and style. In my neighbourhood all the numbers start with the same three digits and I'm guessing people would figure it out.
Sorry to be long winded, it's raining cats and dogs!
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
So, stupid me, I had thought the Champ was a toy company's variation of a Piper Cub! So, actually an Aeronica vintage plane of similar style. Just for kicks I downloaded a bunch of pics to see how detailed the design was. it looks like Hobbyzone did a reasonable job of the shape.
1. The colour's too tangerine compared to the deep yellows I see but pictures are all over the yellow spectrum so tangerine it is. It IS visible in the sky.
2. The black windows bug me a bit. In all the flying shots I have you can see straight through the plane. Barring any surgery, I think that at least using a silver reflective foil instead of the black would better simulate glass, reflecting the sky, etc.
3. The landing gear... It's a little flimsy. I lost one envelope the other night and it absolutely needs that yellow triangle to give it some 'weight'. Has anyone experimented with UM functional gear - hinged struts and bungee suspension?
4. Wing struts wouldn't be all that hard. I can imagine they left them off to reduce damage and cost.
5. Dummy exhaust and soot trails could be doable.
6. Though not technically a problem, in response to the lost plane issue, I thought the large numbers on the wing could instead be a phone number in the same type size and style. In my neighbourhood all the numbers start with the same three digits and I'm guessing people would figure it out.
Sorry to be long winded, it's raining cats and dogs!
As I mentioned earlier, I took my very first ride in a REAL 'plane, in 1946, (when they were new), in a 7AC Aeronca Champion. It looked just about exactly like my little electric does. (I added fuel tank caps, exhaust stubs, and an "NC" number, along with some pen lines for cowl & door outlines.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
PLANES!
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Oct 2011
37 Posts
floats!!!!!!
flyguy99 is offline Find More Posts by flyguy99
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Floats, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy99 View Post
floats!!!!!!
There are these.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:17 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Airhead, here is a great thread I've been following as, someday I hope to get an 808 #16 when I can save enough coin..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56994&page=427

I hope you enjoy it. It looks like a lot of fun

Mike.
Hey Mike, thanks for the great re-direct. I'll try not to spend too much time there
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:50 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Hey Mike, thanks for the great re-direct. I'll try not to spend too much time there
Ha, HA. I just noticed. Queensland, NS. When I was a young boy my grandparents from Newfoundland would sing a song with the rest of the drunken crowd. Something like this,,,..."I remember being in Queensland with a bottle in me hand, and when I woke, me heart'ny broook, I was on the banks of Newfoundland." What a hoot. Been to Newfie three times

Sorry to go off topic. I couldn't resist.
Mike.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:11 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
There are these.
The Champ on floats is great!

Here is my second flight
champ on floats second flight (0 min 53 sec)

Then we took the boat across the lake and flew the Champ beside!

Flying the Champ over the Lake (2 min 28 sec)
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,567 Posts
Airhead600cc...

2 non-scale things I noticed right away when I began looking at pictures of the real thing...

1. The windshield doesn't go up and over the top "into" the wing.

2. The shape of the cowl is wrong... the front top corners need to be rounded over... they are too far apart and pointy leaving the front of the top too wide and flat looking.

... I might do something about that In fact, I'll definitely do something about #1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
7,567 Posts
WSEN...

That boat point of view vid is one of my favorite Champ vids... trying to remember where I first saw it... I think it was linked to in one of the Carbon Cub threads I seem to remember someone (mistakenly) thought it was the CC floats.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:31 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
WSEN...

That boat point of view vid is one of my favorite Champ vids... trying to remember where I first saw it... I think it was linked to in one of the Carbon Cub threads I seem to remember someone (mistakenly) thought it was the CC floats.
Thanks! It sure was fun making it. I am looking forward to putting the CC back on floats. I tried it when I first got it but then the lakes were all frozen over Just flew off the snow which worked ok.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:07 AM
Epilepsy Awareness
Joined Mar 2008
11,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Thanks! It sure was fun making it. I am looking forward to putting the CC back on floats. I tried it when I first got it but then the lakes were all frozen over Just flew off the snow which worked ok.
Nice vids. I really enjoyed them That is truly Gods country

Mike.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Ha, HA. I just noticed. Queensland, NS. When I was a young boy my grandparents from Newfoundland would sing a song with the rest of the drunken crowd. Something like this,,,..."I remember being in Queensland with a bottle in me hand, and when I woke, me heart'ny broook, I was on the banks of Newfoundland." What a hoot. Been to Newfie three times

Sorry to go off topic. I couldn't resist.
Mike.
Great lyrics, Mike. I think it helps if people understand that 'banks' means Grand Banks" that was huge, rich fishing grounds off Newfoundland which of course means the guy got so drunk in Nova Scotia that he woke up on a fishing boat off Newfoundland! ( About 800 miles as the crow flies)