SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
991 Posts
Maiden my 90g 2S bruslesss on Sunday. It was about 15mph. Toss with 50% thottle - nose dive on the second toss and ended up with broken wing, fuse, and nose. Glue everything up yesterday and taped with several layers of packaing tape on entire fuselage. Now it weights 120g!! Today's wind was quite calm <5mph. Have control horn set at furthest position and toss with 30% throttle. It flew nicely today. At 50% throttle, it climbs and stall a bit - will have to recheck my balance. Haven't dare to go beyond 50% throttle yet. Cannot ever complain about not enough power now!!!

2S 350mAh Zippy
10A ESC
2020 3500kv motor
3.7g servo
Also put in battery alarm set at 3.3v. I flew for 10 minutes without triggering it.

I may install some LED strips inside the fuse but we'll see if it'll grow through the fuse or not.
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 01:11 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Hi Doug,

Yeah - It might require some re-engineering to work perfectly. It's a Turnigy 1220 from HK. At 10400Kv, I plan to use the stock spur gear and gear box (new one) to mate into the champ. It may fit and run easier than a BL outrunner, certainly looking more stock. The motor weighs 8g, I'll have to verify what the stock Brushed motor is - anyone know?

Between the extra ESC and wires, I should be able to get good balance once the test run is complete. Using a (need to verify this!) 5:1 step down, the motor should look like a ~2100Kv unit - with 4.2V, that's WO at over 8500Kv, just about what one might see with a BL outrunner. We'll see! I may even run it direct, but if the torque is not high enough, it might load the motor with the prop. I plan to use the 4.3"x2.8" mosquito prop (what I use now on my other champ). (the 110x80mm) - part of the fun is trying stuff out - that's what makes the hobby really interesting, hey?

Kind of a fun little project, and I have a BL outrunner to use in lieu if nec. But for $8, I think this is worth a try. Motor should be in around end of June.

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Jun 20, 2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Basic Mods

You guys are crazy and this thread is great!
My champ isn't even here yet, but you got my hot for messing it up already.

I understand that the Champ is great out of the box, but I'd like it to be nice and stable and stay this way for some time.
So, what essential modding/reinforcments should I do before flying?

From what I gathered here and elsewhere, this is what I plan to do:
- clear tape on leading edges and tips of the wing, as well as
- clear tape between the landing gear "trousers" (the yellow pieces) and the fuse
- bigger wheels (Mosquito or L-4 Grasshopper wheels as main, Micro trojan T-28 as tail)

Maybe later
- wing struts
- LEDs
- battery holder for 250mAh E-Flite batteries (got some from the MCX Tandem)
- holder for 808 keychain cam with adjustable viewing angle

Is it usefull to glue small pieces of carbon rod inside the fuse to strengthen the motor area?
And how about carbon rods under the wings/on rudder and elev?

Anything I forgotten?
Sorry, I'm pretty excited and want to get it right.

Thanks & Cheers,
Mac
Mac Smith is online now Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:20 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
They say anything added on the tail makes it. Tail heavy.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Apr 2011
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Smith View Post

I understand that the Champ is great out of the box, but I'd like it to be nice and stable and stay this way for some time.

- clear tape between the landing gear "trousers" (the yellow pieces) and the fuse
- bigger wheels (Mosquito or L-4 Grasshopper wheels as main, Micro trojan T-28 as tail)

Maybe later
- wing struts
- LEDs

Is it usefull to glue small pieces of carbon rod inside the fuse to strengthen the motor area?

Anything I forgotten?

Thanks & Cheers,
Mac
Tail is the weakest link... especially where it connects to the fuselage... so adding clear packaging tape to reinforce that will help... I've went through three within the past couple years and am waiting for my replacement to come...
beckerson1 is offline Find More Posts by beckerson1
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Apr 2011
80 Posts
I have a question about key chain camera's to run on my champ... What are your guys running?

I don't want to go extremely expensive but want something that will produce good video, if possible HD... Also maybe something I can get on Amazon...
beckerson1 is offline Find More Posts by beckerson1
Last edited by beckerson1; Jun 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerson1 View Post
I have a question about key chain camera's to run on my champ... What are your guys running?

I don't want to go extremely expensive but want something that will produce good video, if possible HD... Also maybe something I can get on Amazon...
Two keycams available wing cam or Keycam 808 #16

Hobby king.com fl CID recorder or eBay elctoponline

Hobby king ones out the more expensive cam 45.00
Keycam 808 40.00

Which is the better. Question is open for descussion

The Keycam 808 #16 has excellent support far after a purchase. If anything goes wrong you. Intact the seller. All others are free support with only advice

Hd720p of an a drags of under an hour record and unlimited with optional ext bat hookup. Just go to the areio photo section and take a view

Good luck

If out of stock does. It mean a better cam lol not at all
Last edited by fishycomics; Jun 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:46 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,251 Posts
Quote:

Maybe later
- wing struts
- LEDs

Anything I forgotten?

Thanks & Cheers,
Mac
Your wheel mod sounds a bit large. Carbon Cub wheels are twice stock size and look great. Grasshopper wheels are twice the size of the CC wheels. The extra weight will be noticed, best to keep it light IMHO.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Thanks for the input so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
Your wheel mod sounds a bit large. Carbon Cub wheels are twice stock size and look great. Grasshopper wheels are twice the size of the CC wheels. The extra weight will be noticed, best to keep it light IMHO.
I'm a bit conflicted right now, since I was stumbled across even bigger wheels (North_of_49's T-28 wheel mod) in the meantime.
So maybe the Mosquito wheels are the sweet spot for me.
Guess I'll have to decide when I actually have her in front of me, to get a feel of the proportions.
Can't wait.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
if these wheels are super big, and if you can slice them in half, maybe tehy will work?

you do not want a bigger wheel for reasons what if wind catchs it. so on. I use dubro 1.23 they do just fine, can opt for way larger, but to large is too funny.

keep us posted
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,666 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the input so far.

I'm a bit conflicted right now, since I was stumbled across even bigger wheels (North_of_49's T-28 wheel mod) in the meantime.
So maybe the Mosquito wheels are the sweet spot for me.
Guess I'll have to decide when I actually have her in front of me, to get a feel of the proportions.
Can't wait.
Yup, my T-28 wheels tires (didn't use the wheels)have been great for short grass landings, but they're for the main... looks like you said for the tail?. They're only about 3mm larger than what I really want to have a scale version of the biggest bush tires I've seen on some Piper Cubs... I have pictures and video for proof I can run them down a bit on my bench mount belt sander if I want them perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
if these wheels are super big, and if you can slice them in half, maybe tehy will work?

you do not want a bigger wheel for reasons what if wind catchs it. so on. I use dubro 1.23 they do just fine, can opt for way larger, but to large is too funny.

keep us posted
They work great the way they come. Wind hasn't been a problem, in fact, these wheels help stabilize my Champ in a breeze (more weight and inertia).

Large is funny? Here ya go, fishy...

Short take off Super cub, Knik Alaska (0 min 9 sec)
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:13 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,239 Posts
@North, Thanks for the instructions on the bush wheels installation. They look really cool. Modded the carry case. She fits nice. Half way through the project I was starting to wonder about the COG. I'll be Dang, it was spot on..

Man, can't wait to fly her
X3 for popcorn

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Jun 2012
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Yup, my T-28 wheels tires (didn't use the wheels)have been great for short grass landings, but they're for the main... looks like you said for the tail?.
No no, the tires of the "big" T-28 for the main, of course,
and a single ultra micro T-28 main (or Vapor/Sukhoi wheel, if it's too big) for the tail.

Quote:
They work great the way they come. Wind hasn't been a problem, in fact, these wheels help stabilize my Champ in a breeze (more weight and inertia).
Sounds good, and even if weight became an issue (e.g. if the keycam is on board), I can always buy a stock landing gear to pop in when needed.

Quote:
Large is funny? Here ya go, fishy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN8gEGgp9VU
Nice video.
In fact it's this funny/cute look I'm going for.

These ones aren't bad, too. It shows of the gear better and the text states the dimensions (35").
Super Cub on 35" Bush Wheels--Snowy Wheels (0 min 47 sec)

Super Cub on 35" Bushwheels--Just Another Day at the Office. (1 min 14 sec)

Cheers,
Mac
Last edited by Mac Smith; Jun 22, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,666 Posts
Mac, ok I gotcha... didn't realize there's 2 different size T-28s

Yeah I love the huge bush wheels on the Cubs and Champs (Champs are more rare)... to me, it's the difference between actually liking the look of the plane or not... I wasn't interested in either one until I saw a video of the real CubCrafters Carbon Cub with big ass tundra tires
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:36 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Dec 2007
507 Posts
Hi, first time posting on airplane threads.. I tried rc planes several years ago, with disastrous results. Started reading up on the Ember 2 and bought one; it's been micro park flyer fever ever since. Next was a Night Vapor, looking for something slow to land on our rc carrier, then a micro stik, to carry one of those 'gumstick' cameras around.. that worked out better than I anticipated. By far the most versatile purchase has been the Champ, which has proven to be the most intuitive and easy to learn on plane in my inventory. I've made a few mods: Never flew the Champ with stock wheels, instead opted for 1-1/4" dia. foam wheels from an old twin motor 'steer by shutting down one motor' plane. I've amassed about 9 batteries, and didn't want to velcro them all, so a rubberband holds them in the slot. I cut back the yellow fairings so they don't dig into the the fuse (as much) on those hard, blacktop basketball court landings. (Note the white 'beard'). Still flying everything else original after maybe 125flights.. Batteries range from 70 ('Vapor) to 190 mA Miniaviation. One terrific ounce of entertainment!
peconic steam is offline Find More Posts by peconic steam