USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I got the 14X18-inch trays at www.webstaurantstore.com
Part is "Genpack 11418"
I just cut a small plug out of the bottom and it looks like it's 4.5-5mm thick
With shipping, each one ran about 50 cents.

Genpack apparently makes a bunch of sizes.
How do these compare with Dollar Tree foam board? Clearly, it doesn't have paper on both sides, but other than that?
TjW is online now Find More Posts by TjW
Old May 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,962 Posts
I dont' know, never having looked at Dollar Tree's product, but I know where one is and can go look.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 12:03 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Dollar Tree foam board with the paper removed is about 3/16 thick. The big advantage with the Dollar Tree foam board in addition to be only $1 for a 30 x 20 sheet is that the paper covering is thin and non-glossy so it is very easy to remove. I consider the paper covering as protection for the foam which I don't remove until I'm ready to use the foam.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old May 07, 2012, 12:41 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jan 2011
71 Posts
Quick question about a problem I'm having with the stock champ and a prop adaptor. I bought the metal prop adaptor from eFlite (EFLM1933) but when I went to put it on with a balanced GWS 5043 prop it was really out of balance, so much that I could barely keep it in the air at around 3/4 throttle. I thought it might be the adaptor so I bought a second one and have the same problem. I don't think its the prop shaft either because I can put the stock prop on and it works great. I also tried without the GWS prop and I can actually see the circular motion of the adaptor by itself. What other causes could there be?
Azrie is offline Find More Posts by Azrie
Old May 09, 2012, 01:50 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,953 Posts
Can you post pictures of what your are talking about with the adapter? Maybe even some vid of the prop(s) spinning with and without??
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old May 09, 2012, 08:58 AM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsp View Post
Dollar Tree foam board with the paper removed is about 3/16 thick. The big advantage with the Dollar Tree foam board in addition to be only $1 for a 30 x 20 sheet is that the paper covering is thin and non-glossy so it is very easy to remove. I consider the paper covering as protection for the foam which I don't remove until I'm ready to use the foam.
Yep. I know what Dollar Tree foam is like. I don't know what the tray foam is like. Is it about the same density? About the same stiffness?
TjW is online now Find More Posts by TjW
Old May 10, 2012, 10:28 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
BL Champ setup - question for the pros...

I am setting up an AR6400LT brick for my new champ I am building from parts.

I have a question for the gang here:

I have already setup this to switch from B to BL operation, since a B motor runs constant when connected to the unit now regardless of throttle.

I have attached a pic of my planned connections, and had a quick Q as to whether I missed anything.

See below. The Turnigy 5A1S is going to be setup in parallel with the RX brick, to avoid any issues I have heard occur sometimes using a BEC. I assume the inputs are GRB/BR = inputs for ESC/BEC? I also assume I can just take the pulsed output line and connect to the green connection on the ESC, with PWR going to the unit via the battery? It makes sense to me, but I thought I'd ask...

Pic of ESC and quickie diagram attached.

TIA!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old May 10, 2012, 11:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
I am setting up an AR6400LT brick for my new champ I am building from parts.

I have a question for the gang here:

I have already setup this to switch from B to BL operation, since a B motor runs constant when connected to the unit now regardless of throttle.

I have attached a pic of my planned connections, and had a quick Q as to whether I missed anything.

See below. The Turnigy 5A1S is going to be setup in parallel with the RX brick, to avoid any issues I have heard occur sometimes using a BEC. I assume the inputs are GRB/BR = inputs for ESC/BEC? I also assume I can just take the pulsed output line and connect to the green connection on the ESC, with PWR going to the unit via the battery? It makes sense to me, but I thought I'd ask...

Pic of ESC and quickie diagram attached.

TIA!

SkyCadet
That should work. 1S Brushless likely won't have the power of a Mustang motor, but it will last longer and sound cooler. With the Champ, 2S brushless is the way to go.

1S ESC without BEC:

2S ESC With BEC:

With a 1S Brick with a BEC, you can wire it just like the 2S brick, but you leave out the diode.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Thanks, UNGN.

I tried last year to go BL with the 1S setup you showed, and it did not work. No matter what I tried, I could not program the XP3A ESC and one of two burned up. I suspect my motor was at fault, but since the T5A1S is a better ESC with more amperage handling, I can safely run at 1S and programming is covered well in the docs with the unit. That is the LAST time I buy generic Chinese crap!

This ESC is optimized for 1S operation, from what I understand, and if the power is close to that I see in a new Mustang motor, I am happy. The new C05 motor looks to be better than the one I had before - the wiring is insulated TO the motor, and its 0.5g lighter. Same Kv. While I CAN use the internal BEC, I have heard from some of the UL Heli guys that the AR6400 chatters on the servos when close to LVC - this seemingly is avoided by running both parallel with the battery and bypassing the BEC (even using a diode).

I'll let you folks know how I make out.

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; May 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
I burned up a xp3a ESC tryin to figuere it out. Finally got it right the secound one. It is not wired the same as those diagrams though. It is much easier to do.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 11, 2012, 01:06 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
I notice they mention on the documentation that if running NO BEC to leave the positive wire from the ESCs receiver lead not connected.. If I do this, will the ESC still function? I assume that the power comes then from the PWM level and ground. Thoughts? Maybe they mean the BEC negative to ground, and float the BEC's positive? I wish they'd make these damned things more clear. I pic is worth 1000 words...

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 09:31 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Attn UNGN or anyone else who can answer this...

I have a masters degree in chem physics, and an advanced amatuer radio license, and have been doing electronics since I was about 6 yrs old. Yet, sometimes I just don't get it. How hard is it to make a pinout for an ESC that is not using standard connectors? Geez! This one uses balance type leads (these fit the pins - a 4S balance connector fits this unit like a glove).

I have attached another pic of the ESC I spoke of yesterday. In the Turnigy documentation, bereft of a pinout diagram per se, they mention that if running the unit without the BEC to leave the red (+) lead unconnected and I assume the black (-) lead is still req'd for proper pulse reading. So, I get that: 1S Battery to battery and pulse/ground to RX. However, the AR6400 brick has three connections, so I assume (-) to (-) and green to pulse input.

On the ESC, the leads are not well marked, but it seems reasonable that the RX leads are together and the battery leads are also. Refer to my query diagram. If I have a reasonable idea of this pinout, please let me know. I have learned that what sometimes makes sense is NOT what is the case, so I wish to avoid blowing another ESC on this stupid project. If I need to run the negative lead to the battery line in lieu of those for the inputs on the RX ( other than the pulse input) please let me know this too.

I'm the kind of guy that prefers asking before doing if I don't know, unless I have no choice....

Much appreciated folks!

Sky Cadet
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 10:39 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
That is not the ESC I used. Sorry, I can't help with that one Sky Cadet. Good luck though.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old May 11, 2012, 05:24 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
No worries Lee. I had a XP3A before, that was pretty obvious how to hook up, but programming was a $^&^%$#!!!

Thanks anyway... I think that I have it figured out: the left three connections are for the RX, the right two are for power (would make sense). I would hook up the green PWM to the output on the Brick, and negative to the neg. pin on the brick, leaving the + with n/c. Battery to the other two leads, and motor as usual.

These are really nice ESCs. 2g, and they fit balance charge plugs on a 4S and 2S (2S with three leads can go to the motor, 4S to the ESC with appropriate connections as needed.) Pretty slick. I hope my instincts are correct. I don't wish to blow my RX brick. I have a second ESC just in case I am wrong... Will advise the crew here, but won't be doing this tonight yet, so if anyone has words of ESC wisdom, I'll check in here first.

SkyCadet/Darren
RCG Plus Member