HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:09 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
The Champ is my first plane, and I'm really enjoying it. However, it seems like i'm losing signal with the plane quite often. Usually I lose the signal, but am able to get it back in a few seconds. I try and keep the plane within 100 yards or so from me when flying. If the cutting out is due to range issues with the Tx, then I would like to upgrade to something that has more range.

It looks like most people are upgrading to the dx6i. Is this the preferred radio, or is there a better option for the champ?
The Champ flies fine with a DX5E. You can pick them up used for $40-45 Dollars. Don't pay $60 for a new one.

If you own a credit card, I wouldn't buy a DX6i, personally. I'm one of the few people on RCG that doesn't like them. The Programming on the DX6i is oddball compared to the other spektrum radios, and because its a "beginner" computer radio, you won't get as much programming support from more advanced users as you would with a DX7 or better radio.

Right now you can buy a DX8 with 3 RX's and Telemetry for $365.

You can sell the 3 RX's and Telemetry for $200 and you get a Brand new DX8 for only a few dollars more than a DX6i. If you ever need money, you can sell it for more than you paid for it... something you wouldn't be able to do if you buy a new DX6i.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2012, 08:49 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,024 Posts
That is good advise right there. You da man UNGN.
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The Champ flies fine with a DX5E. You can pick them up used for $40-45 Dollars. Don't pay $60 for a new one.

If you own a credit card, I wouldn't buy a DX6i, personally. I'm one of the few people on RCG that doesn't like them. The Programming on the DX6i is oddball compared to the other spektrum radios, and because its a "beginner" computer radio, you won't get as much programming support from more advanced users as you would with a DX7 or better radio.

Right now you can buy a DX8 with 3 RX's and Telemetry for $365.

You can sell the 3 RX's and Telemetry for $200 and you get a Brand new DX8 for only a few dollars more than a DX6i. If you ever need money, you can sell it for more than you paid for it... something you wouldn't be able to do if you buy a new DX6i.
That sounds like pretty good advice. I may have to go that route. Thanks to all for the advice.
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Apr 09, 2012, 06:36 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
It's looks like the 3 RX deal may have ended last weekend @ discount sellers. (the $365 deal) Those who snoozed, lost.

Your LHS may still have a 3 RX DX8, but They'll charge you closer to $429 than $365.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:12 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,024 Posts
I paid like $400 for my DX8 and didn't get any RX's at all. No telemetry either. And I have all ready used up all the 30 model memory. haha. Still, it is the only tx I use. It is easier to program. And I think it was a great investment.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
It's looks like the 3 RX deal may have ended last weekend @ discount sellers. (the $365 deal) Those who snoozed, lost.

Your LHS may still have a 3 RX DX8, but They'll charge you closer to $429 than $365.
Just my luck!
SpidarX is offline Find More Posts by SpidarX
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:53 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
202 Posts
How do you bind the Champ to a Dx6i? When binding to other receivers I used a bind plug. Do you have to cut the Champ open and install some kind of bind plug?
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:30 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
How do you bind the Champ to a Dx6i? When binding to other receivers I used a bind plug. Do you have to cut the Champ open and install some kind of bind plug?
When you plug in the Champ battery with the TX off, the RX will begin flashing after a few seconds. Then you turn on the TX holding the bind button and it should bind.

Then just be sure to turn on the TX before plugging in the battery and it will bind instantly.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:33 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
have both the champ and dx6i turned off.

Plug in the champ's battery

the red LED in the engine bay will flash.

Turn on your Dx6i while holding the "trainer" switch up (top right of the controller)

The champs LED will stop flashing, and you can start to check the control surfaces and throttle response. (don't WOT)
lofi is offline Find More Posts by lofi
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:56 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
202 Posts
Thanks guys. I got it!
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofi View Post
Turn on your Dx6i while holding the "trainer" switch up (top right of the controller)
I believe the trainer switch is on the top left of the DX6i.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:31 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
4,841 Posts
The 150mah batteries that I had on order since October finally arrived. Has anyone else had stuff on backorder come this week? I noticed the batteries are 25c now--nice.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:40 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2011
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
I believe the trainer switch is on the top left of the DX6i.

RD
The one I have is on the top right.

Mines a mode 2 transmitter, is your's a Mode 1?
lofi is offline Find More Posts by lofi
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Re: Foam for floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm View Post
I'd like to make a set of fully amphibious floats for my champ by starting from the plans that have been posted here using 1mm depron as the primary building material. Unfortunately I can't find a good source for 1mm depron (rcfoam is completely out).

Anyone know where I can get some? Anybody have some laying around they want to sell/donate to the effort?
I just picked up some foam plates from the Dollar Store and made mine out of that... they worked great.
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
My poor Champ is destroyed. Busted it up pretty bad trying to knock it out of the tree next to my house. Been flying my msr and umt28, but missing the champ. I gutted my champ to use the board in a rubber kit conversion. Going to order all new foam for the champ next week for a rebuild. Decided that ill probably go 2s brushless with it during the build. Going to use hobbyking componants, ap05 motor, 1.7gr rotary servos, orange rx, 6a esc. Im thinking of using small magnets to join the fuse together so I can just place the battery inside if needed. Whats the largest 2s lipo I could run on a champ and still have it fly well. I would like to get some decent flight times out of it. Was thinking of maybe running rudder, elevator, and flaps. Would like to maybe squeeze a 500mah 2s lipo in her and thought that maybe some flaps would help with the extra weight at slower speeds.
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut