HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
i have another question for those familiar with the bricks/esc. One of the motors on my champ is failing in flight. Not at the end of a flight but sometimes in the middle and im wondering if there is anyway to fix the brick. I know that it is the brick not the motor cause i switched the motor and experienced the same problem. My plane is pretty much destoyed (like a 45$ repair[wing+body+tail]+ a new brick. So its a choice between leaving it as is or buying a new champ and modding it back to what i have. Opinions and advice would be nice.

Nate

p.s. scotsoft here is a pic.
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate32 View Post
i have another question for those familiar with the bricks/esc. One of the motors on my champ is failing in flight. Not at the end of a flight but sometimes in the middle and im wondering if there is anyway to fix the brick. I know that it is the brick not the motor cause i switched the motor and experienced the same problem. My plane is pretty much destoyed (like a 45$ repair[wing+body+tail]+ a new brick. So its a choice between leaving it as is or buying a new champ and modding it back to what i have. Opinions and advice would be nice.

Nate

Two 8.5mm motors is probably too much for a Champ brick. You probably damaged the FET's. You'd be better off using a AR6400T from a Mosquito, or you could burn up the new brick.

That is so ugly, I don't know if I'd want another. Are the wing tips supposed to be different?
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Apr 03, 2012, 05:42 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,705 Posts
Quote:

Nate

Hi Nate,

Thanks for posting the picture, you certainly have had fun with your Champ

Why don't you have a go a building a plane from scratch, there are loads of free plans and plenty tips in the Foamie thread

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:14 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,160 Posts
Buy some used gear and sheets of foam for experimenting, but please dont chop a new Champ.
If you must make a twin, counter rotating props would really help. Find a used mosquito brick or airframe. Mine was un-cracked and flying well when I sold it for $60.
One should have a tach to make sure the motors are matched, otherwise it will be in a constant pull to one side leaving one to wonder why.
MikeRx is offline Find More Posts by MikeRx
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:40 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
What is a "brick"? I see the word used frequently but don't know a specific definition.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:10 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
One should have a tach to make sure the motors are matched, otherwise it will be in a constant pull to one side leaving one to wonder why.
Assymetrical wing tips can have the same effect. Maybe they are different sizes to counteract different thrust levels in the motors.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:38 AM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
What is a "brick"? I see the word used frequently but don't know a specific definition.
A "brick" is a receiver and one or more servos all in a single mechanical unit.
It may also have a way of controlling more servos.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:58 AM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,693 Posts
Hey all,

Here is my Champ on floats. I picked up the laser cut float kit from my LHS. It looks like they are Jins? Anyway, I laser cut my own N struts and used carbon for the spreaders. Haven't gotten to try it off of the water, but it flies nice and seems to have enough power.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:28 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Brick refers to the combination of receiver, servos and esc on a single board as found in the Champ.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
UNGN: yes i know its ugly. but i have smashed the plane so many times. the winglets are pretty cool. Makes the plane look like a mini jet. and different what? color? size? most likely my sharpie was running out of ink if ur talking bout color but its also a comp webcam
And i dont have both motors attached to the one brick. I have one motor per brick. The other brick is from a friends t-28. all i did was bind the DX6i to both bricks.

I looked at the mosquito brick but would a 20c 250mAh batt be able to power two engines? The engine requires at least 15c to fly at full throttle and since two motors would be pulling off the one batt would each motor be getting 10c?

Scotsoft. Totally, everyone asks me why i fly my champ more than my stryker. but i love changing stuff. Hence the totally destroyed planes. I think the wings r 7.5 in now.
could you post a link for the foamie thread. i would be interested in that.

MikeRx: i wasnt going to chop a new champ but instead move my set up(twin engine not winglets) to new champ and then see about other stuff.
Second, my dad is a pilot so i have talked to him about all the physics. the motors are not counter rotating. but the rudder is trimmed slightly and the plane flies straight so im not complaining.

Oh and what are assymetrical wingtips?
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
and nice floats dude. i wish i had a pond nearby
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
and UNGN i dont know if you experiment with your champ or just fly it as it. but the reason mine looks ugly is it was my first plane and now it is my experiment. so dont hate on it
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Feb 2006
77 Posts
Quote:
and UNGN i dont know if you experiment with your champ or just fly it as it. but the reason mine looks ugly is it was my first plane and now it is my experiment. so dont hate on it
Im not hating on it. But I have to say that is the first picture of a champ the begged me to put it out of its misery haha!
totaldoughnut is offline Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
Old Apr 05, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Nice 5 channel brick.....

Quote:
Here is a very nice brick for micro planes. Hobby King Mx-010ARX-HBL.
5 channels, with a brushless ESC, (motor controller).
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:17 AM
France, RA, Villeurbanne
Joined Oct 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Here is a very nice brick for micro planes. Hbby King Mx-010ARX-HBL.
5 channels, with a brushless ESC, (motor controller).
Hi,

I bought this micro board some times ago. I've got the module on my turnigy 9X. My TX is mode 1 (european mode). I can't assign the channel correctly. I Want to put the throttle on the right stick vertical, but no mode (1 2 3 or 4) do the job because the vendor put the throttle channel on channel 1 it seems.(channel 1 is for aileron)
I check the motor and it starts, but by holding for exemple the left stick to the left (0% throttle). Does anybody got the problem?

Also I want to mix the 2 linear servo to do some taileron mixing with the transmitter, but no mix seems to do the job, even in manual programming...
lionel_69 is offline Find More Posts by lionel_69