HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:33 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,540 Posts
Yes, the stock batt is like 12c. So your 25 and 30C batts are giving her plenty of power. Try flyin out straight and level, then pull off a loop. Fun, fun.
Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,544 Posts
Mustang Motor in Champ

Yes, a fairly easy mod to make, replacing a worn out Champ motor with the Mustang P-51 motor (PKZ3616). I did this in my Champ #1, and now recently in my Champ #2.

To belabor the point, the UM P-51 was originally supplied with a ParkZone 120 Lipo, woefully inadequate, especially in colder weather. The E-flite 150 was an improvement, but later editions of 1S Lipos, such as the TP 160 and MiniAviation 180's were a significant improvement. As I have noted before, I find the Hyperion 240 to work VERY well, in both the Mustang and T-28, as well as the Champ and UM J-3 Cub. 25C rating doesn't hurt, either.

Also, as someone stated earlier, a stronger battery will not hurt the P-51 motor, it's the motor that will draw down a lesser battery quicker. I have some MiniAviation 190's on order, will be interesting to compare them to the Hyperion 240's just for the heck of it. The MiniAviation's are slated for the Embers, the Playmates, the Albatroses, and the Micro Stik.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,033 Posts
Finished building the Champ with P51 engine. I had to clear a little bit of foam in the front for motor gear and prop clearance. Planning on doing the maiden flight tomorrow with stock HZ batteries.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:16 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Finished building the Champ with P51 engine. I had to clear a little bit of foam in the front for motor gear and prop clearance. Planning on doing the maiden flight tomorrow with stock HZ batteries.
The mustang motor is a straight slide in as the motors are IDENTICAL in size.

The HZ battery will likely choke on the mustang motor at 3/4 thottle or higher.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, TN, Seymour
Joined Jun 2011
70 Posts
Picked up a used Dx6i. Dear wind, go away so I can fly my champ!!!
slow2by2z is offline Find More Posts by slow2by2z
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:28 AM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Yes, the stock batt is like 12c. So your 25 and 30C batts are giving her plenty of power. Try flyin out straight and level, then pull off a loop. Fun, fun.
Lee
I had this older guy talking in my ear the other day about how he use to fly a real Champ back in the day. He was fun and interesting for a while then I just wanted him to leave. So I dove the champ straight down at us and pulled a loop at the last second. Man this 3 channel plane can move. The old guy moved behind me in fear. LOL lucky for me the little sucker didn't hit us as it completed the loop. I kinda felt bad afterwards about it. I figure I almost gave the old guy a heart attack. He left right after that.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
I had this older guy talking in my ear the other day about how he use to fly a real Champ back in the day. He was fun and interesting for a while then I just wanted him to leave. So I dove the champ straight down at us and pulled a loop at the last second. Man this 3 channel plane can move. The old guy moved behind me in fear. LOL lucky for me the little sucker didn't hit us as it completed the loop. I kinda felt bad afterwards about it. I figure I almost gave the old guy a heart attack. He left right after that.
Your post speaks volumes about the prevailing attitudes of most younger people today.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:34 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,540 Posts
Yea, I have to agree. You should have landed your Champ and talked to that guy. He could have shared so many tips and tricks. He prolly knew a lot about the old arts. Things you could value in time. You really missed out. That would have been a good experience for the both of you. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:42 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
What he said.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Your post speaks volumes about the prevailing attitudes of most younger people today.
Oh please I am 37 yo and I deal with people asking me crap all day long. I fly for the peace of mind and how it becomes just me and the heli or the plane. I see flying as my time. I talked to the guy and it was a lovely conversation but after a while I felt like the conversation was over. So I decided to give him a show. Relax it was a beautiful exchange of hows the weather. I also kiteboard with dirt boards on land and people love to come chat me up when I have a 9-12 meter kite up in 20-30km winds. Sometimes people need to watch and wait till your not distracted. Honestly I think some people like to distract you because they are like Nascar fans that want to see a accident.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:38 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
Honestly I think some people like to distract you because they are like Nascar fans that want to see a accident.
Hey i resemble that remark lol

Litehawkdown dont let these guys piss on your corn flakes i found out yesterday how some of the people on this site like to switch things around and make you feel like a jerk...Lot of lonely old men enjoy the same hobby as us......
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Mar 03, 2012, 12:58 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
what he said..
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:48 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
I,d like to do ailerons and go brushless. Anyy ideas on how to do this?
Wait the E-Flite UMX Carbon Cub SS to become available.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:49 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Litehawkdown dont let these guys piss on your corn flakes ......
True enough, but............be VERY careful if some old codger takes a dump in your Rice Krispies!!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Hey i resemble that remark lol

Litehawkdown dont let these guys piss on your corn flakes i found out yesterday how some of the people on this site like to switch things around and make you feel like a jerk...Lot of lonely old men enjoy the same hobby as us......
If you like to see stuff crash I suggest you get yourself a CP heli. That is if you don't already have one! LOL