to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2012, 09:10 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelp View Post
Tested it yesterday and the answer is - obviously : No. stock motor + prop, nano turnigy 160 mah.
well that was just a test for fun :-)
it flew only a short distance, hand launched, full throttle and up elevator make her slowly going down and landing 30 feet away...

this cam is of course too heavy, and I think the champ was not ok with that necessary but horrible depron protection box, gives huge drag.

And yes bottom mount would have been better for stability.
There is a You ube video showing the Champ with two keyfob cams on it.
They have had the cases removed to make them lighter but it flew with those

Hobbyzone Champ with Two On-Board Cameras (6 min 17 sec)

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Mar 2011
271 Posts
I find my stock Champ motor has tons of power. It might be because it is newer though. When and if I give it full power all it does is climb. I really do not see a need at the moment to put a more powerful motor in if all it will do is make it climb as it speeds up.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Feb 28, 2012, 02:23 AM
Beginner on HZ Champ
France, Bretagne, Quimper
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
There is a You ube video showing the Champ with two keyfob cams on it.
They have had the cases removed to make them lighter but it flew with those
Thanks, that's an idea : putting 2 cams on each wing end :-)

Those kc cams weight is less than 10gr each, without case (got one here), two of them only add something like 15 or 18 gr, and are far smaller too: better choice than my 30gr huge cam !
michelp is online now Find More Posts by michelp
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:39 PM
United States, OH, Marysville
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
New Champ

I finally purchased my first RC plane, the Champ, which I have flown about 10 times now. Only took a couple flights to become proficient, which was great and as advertised.

Where I live I rarely have a calm day without any wind, most of the time a 5mph day is a great day. Does anyone have any suggestions to make the Champ a better wind flier? I realize that this will probably mean adding more weight to it, I was just wondering if anyone has done this successfully and how they went about it.

Btw, thanks to everyone for all the great advice in these threads. They have been VERY helpful.
RCNewb is offline Find More Posts by RCNewb
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:57 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
Hi RCNewb.. welcome to the world of Rc.. you could try putting a bigger battery in poss. a 240mah, kill 2 birds.. more weight + longer flights..

Chris..
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:35 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
+1 on the heavier battery. Their weight helps penetration, and the Champ doesnt mind at all.

Folks like 190 Minivations, and 240 Hyperions.

Welcome to the Champsters!!!

Be sure and check out our off topic thread as well.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
welcome in Rc a ton to read, and right to the point. add weight or purchase a biggerbat. I use a 500 mah. we all have out ways to secure. I use tape. and I leave it on her. till it comes off.

good luck in your choce.

you can always move the batt forard or best yet get a 808 keychain cam it is weight.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:31 PM
United States, OH, Marysville
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
+1 on the heavier battery. Their weight helps penetration, and the Champ doesnt mind at all.

Folks like 190 Minivations, and 240 Hyperions.

Welcome to the Champsters!!!

Be sure and check out our off topic thread as well.
I actually just ordered the 190 Miniavations yesterday. Hope they come in quickly. I taped a quarter right on the front end of the battery tonight and it seemed to help some. Thanks for the help.
RCNewb is offline Find More Posts by RCNewb
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:08 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
I just bought a new fuse, wing, and tail for my mostly glue and tape Champ - the plane I learned to fly on. I also bought a P51 engine for it. My question is:

Do I have to put higher capacity 1S batteries on this now or risk killing the engine as I have read in some threads?

PS. I have 5 MiniAviation batteries on the way. But I'd like to maiden it this weekend with my stock HobbyZone brand 1S batteries as long as the engine won't be killed.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:11 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
LCDJ,

To the best of my knowlege the only down side to the stock batts and a P51 motor is shorter flight times.

If I recall correctly, umP51s come with a 120 or 150 from HH.

ps:
Building up a "pretty" one after the learning curve has flattened out is fun. I've done it.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Last edited by olthump; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: ps
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:06 AM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
That P51 motor is FUN! Add some serious weight to the front cause she will climb straight up!
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Mar 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
OK. Good to know. I read some people post that underpowered 1S batteries will kill the P51 engine. I have some 150 mAh lipos that should tide me over until the 190s arrive from across the pond.

I know the Champ is my first plane. But I sure love flying it. Flying it by myself on Saturday and Sunday early morning, before the park gets crowded, is very zen for me.

I may get a used stock Champ to teach my 8 year old son too.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:00 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,948 Posts
Other way around...the motor will kill the battery quicker.
Stock Champ batteries won't last as long and may not allow the mustang motor to reach it's full potential.
Stock batteries are good enough to get you going but when it comes time for new batteries choose something other than a stock replacement.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
271 Posts
I find my mCPX batteries are doing the job quite well. I modded the battery holder and had to fashion a adapter to get them to work in the champ. I wonder if these 200 mah 25 and 30c batteries are giving the Champ motor more power? This might be why I don't see a need for a better motor? My Champ is nose heavy and climbs to the heavens quick on full throttle.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown