HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Looks good! Is that a repaint? If so, what color/manufacturer did ya use?
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:20 PM
Beginner on HZ Champ
France, Bretagne, Quimper
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
I just got this Wing Cam HD from HobbyKing for another project, and I'm wondering about my Champ : can this 40-50 gr plane fly with this 30 gr cam on it ?

The answer as soon as weather is OK

michelp is offline Find More Posts by michelp
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:14 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,033 Posts
I would mount that camera on the bottom. Then you should be ok. As long as your motor and prop are great. And you fly the best batts on here. I have good news. They are in stock again. Get them while ya can.

http://www.miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:32 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
I have good news. They are in stock again. Get them while ya can. http://www.miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html
Thanks for the tip. I just sprung for a pack of 5!! For my Embers and Micro Stik!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:04 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,033 Posts
You won't regret it! I truely love these batts.
Lee
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
Champ clean up....She has been taking a little bit of a beating between stickers and some rough landings....

looks 100% better! What paint you using?

So I just did the sloppy seconds maiden. It was a blast. Half way through the first battery and I was doing loops

Man what a relaxing flyer. I could pilot this bird while swigging beer! Nice change from how focused one needs to be with a heli.

It even got quite windy after I put in my last battery(#5). No problems though until I got cocky and did a low level loop. The wind caught the plane and tossed her into the ground. LOL No noticeable damage though.

But his is a mod thread so to stay on topic. I should mention how my mods preformed.

Everything held up quite well. I think the epoxy on the front saved the nose on some landings. Seems no matter how nice you land the plane it seems to want to tip. Either the wind catches it or it will hit a pebble and flip LOL. Which beg the question....What wheels you guys running? 1 1/4 size, but off which plane? HH does not list size of their wheels in their specs.

Only down side I see from my mods is that the reinforcement behind the landing skids just transfers the energy from the force of a hard landing to the little plastic cover plate on the landing skid. It created enough force to put a small crack on the top of the little bugger. Not sure how that happened most of my landings seemed quite gentle. No biggy this part seems cosmetic to me. So really it all depends on how much you want those side pieces on there IMO. If you find the plane ugly with out them then find a way to keep them on with out going through the canopy. If you could care less if their there or not just toss them. lol

All in all I can see why people love this plane. It is fun and relaxing to fly.
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
Looks good! Is that a repaint? If so, what color/manufacturer did ya use?
yes sir its not a perfect match but does the job...

you can find this at Michaels arts and craft stores think it was around $1.50 or less
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:20 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,281 Posts
[QUOTE What wheels you guys running? 1 1/4 size, but off which plane? HH does not list size of their wheels in their specs..[/QUOTE

you can get the bigger tires off ebay this is a link to a set very cheep mod for this cool plane.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HobbyZone-Ch...item4162ba0c67
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:04 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,033 Posts
I made my own wheels out of foam. Get MA batts while they are in stock. Lee

Old Feb 26, 2012, 01:43 AM
Joined Mar 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
I made my own wheels out of foam. Get MA batts while they are in stock. Lee

I have a ton of 250mah 25c eflights for my MCPX. I don't really need batteries but thanks for the peer presure LOL. I also steer clear of online buying and support my LHS! Thats why I got a free Champ I was looking for either a scale size or a HH part # for the wheels. My LHS gets their stuff from HH for the same price. no shipping!
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Last edited by litehawkdown; Feb 26, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:27 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,033 Posts
opps, sorry about the peer presure. ahahahaha. Wasn't really my intentions. Just tryin to let everyone know that those batts were back in stock. They have been sold out for a long time now. I think it is great to support your LHS. Good job. They should have some dubro 1 1/4" wheels there that you could get to work. Helps with rough terrain. And gives you more prop clearance. Good luck. Lee
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:34 AM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
I have a ton of 250mah 25c eflights for my MCPX. I don't really need batteries but thanks for the peer presure LOL. I also steer clear of online buying and support my LHS! Thats why I got a free Champ I was looking for either a scale size or a HH part # for the wheels. My LHS gets their stuff from HH for the same price. no shipping!
Good man i try to do the same i will pay more to make sure my money is going to a local hobby store.....Some times i do order off the Internet only cause the local hobby shop is 40 miles away
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:10 PM
Beginner on HZ Champ
France, Bretagne, Quimper
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
I would mount that camera on the bottom. Then you should be ok. As long as your motor and prop are great. And you fly the best batts on here.
Tested it yesterday and the answer is - obviously : No. stock motor + prop, nano turnigy 160 mah.
well that was just a test for fun :-)
it flew only a short distance, hand launched, full throttle and up elevator make her slowly going down and landing 30 feet away...

this cam is of course too heavy, and I think the champ was not ok with that necessary but horrible depron protection box, gives huge drag.

And yes bottom mount would have been better for stability.
michelp is offline Find More Posts by michelp
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
1,416 Posts
I,d like to do ailerons and go brushless. Anyy ideas on how to do this?
jwp2 is offline Find More Posts by jwp2
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2 View Post
I,d like to do ailerons and go brushless. Anyy ideas on how to do this?
not so sure ailerons will be any good on this plane and going brushless is going to be a waste of money just do the p-51 motor upgrade its a huge performance difference almost to much.... all at a cheep price