SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2008
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vbluguitar View Post
I already made another thread, but I thought this should go here too. This is my Champ converted to an L-16 Grasshopper.
This infact one of the best mod in this topic!! very nice job.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
254 Posts
I got a free plank!

So I am mainly a heli guy. And today I walked into my LHS and it seems the owner of the place is downsizing his collection. Long story short he gave me his bone stock slightly used Champ just because I am a valued customer

Anyhow there is over 200 pages here to read up on. lol...... I figure why not cut to the chase and ask what are some must do mods on this lovely plank?

I plan on flying this on my DX7s with older MCPX batteries that are no longer giving my heli the punch it needs ( I did a run time test with them and the Champ ran for over 8min on them with no LVC).

Thoughts?
litehawkdown is offline Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:05 AM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
So I am mainly a heli guy. And today I walked into my LHS and it seems the owner of the place is downsizing his collection. Long story short he gave me his bone stock slightly used Champ just because I am a valued customer

Anyhow there is over 200 pages here to read up on. lol...... I figure why not cut to the chase and ask what are some must do mods on this lovely plank?

I plan on flying this on my DX7s with older MCPX batteries that are no longer giving my heli the punch it needs ( I did a run time test with them and the Champ ran for over 8min on them with no LVC).

Thoughts?
I would say the only must do mod is bigger wheels ot bigger motor down the road if you wish but thats really it...you can dress her up and customize if you wish i personally just like to fly but have been known to touch up the paint lol
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
My champ is now a twin-engine! took forever to get the second motor. Been a bit windy so flying it has been kinda crazy(14mph winds+) but it worked great. Cant wait for some calm winds. Im thinking maybe a biplane is next.
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litehawkdown View Post
<snip> what are some must do mods on this lovely plank?
I am going to scratch build a Champ and will do these before flying:
  • A 5043 GWS prop change with the stock motor - made a huge difference in climb performance.
  • Brace the tail surfaces with CF. The surfaces of the tail assembly can develop creases just from (ab)normal handling. Bracing has turned what was once a soft and flexible assembly into one that is very solid. I would also brace the wings, more for cosmetic reasons to match the tail bracing rather than an essential mod.
  • Increase the wheel diameter. I am currently using 1-1/4".
  • Move the tail wheel from the rudder to the fuselage. The steerable tail wheel will eventually weaken the attachment point to the bottom of the rudder. On a scratch built I might try reinforcing the attachment area with 1/32 ply.
  • Reinforcing the landing gear - either the tape mod or by gluing the plastic to the fuse. The tape mod seems to work for me so far.

Additional performance mods: enlarge the battery compartment for something larger - either for longer flight times or to support a more powerful motor. This will carry a slight weight penalty. Many think it is worth it.
ChoppedHam is offline Find More Posts by ChoppedHam
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
254 Posts
Thanks guys. That is enough things to keep me busy for a bit .

I read as far as the weldbond glue mod last night. Think it was in or around page 30 . I figure the verdict and the jury is in by now on that one?

I like the sound of this mod. I am a contractor and have seen what this stuff can do. But I wonder if it starts to get effected by uv or time and will end up doing more harm then good?

I have also seen guys reinforcing the nose with more foam too. That looks like one to do as well.

The thing I like about things like the mCPX and this Champ is how people find ways to improve the design with everyday house hold items. Makes for lots of cheep good fun. Keep them coming. Gotta love the floats too. LOL
Last edited by litehawkdown; Feb 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
This infact one of the best mod in this topic!! very nice job.

Edmond
Thanks guys for the compliments! I got to fly a couple of batteries today (gray day, light winds) and it looked AWESOME. I am so pumped. I will post a video of it in a couple of days. There was a break in the clouds and the sun came out for a few minutes and it looked almost real. Surprisingly, from certain angles the silver windows reflected the light and actually looked like real windows. That was a surprise to me .

Another nice surprise was the fact that it didn't affect the Champs flight characteristics at all. I can still fly low and slow (scale speeds) without any stalling or tail drooping. It seems like the paint only added a gram or two to the overall weight.

As a side note my son and I did research the invasion stripes on champs, and there were never any Champs with stripes. Possibly the L-3 Defender did as it would have been flying observation on D-Day. The Champ entered military service in 1955 in the Korean war, so they are not prototypical, but DANG they look awesome in flight. It was an athstetic decision over realism.

The only downside is that the Model Master paint doesn't stick well to any surfaces that have tape on them (IE the leading edges of the wings), so I will be doing touch ups here and there, but I expected that, and was already touching up the yellow paint after bad landings or crashes anyway.
Vbluguitar is offline Find More Posts by Vbluguitar
Last edited by Vbluguitar; Feb 23, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:24 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Good point about the stripes, I love 'em too.

The Korean war armistice was signed in 1953.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Good point about the stripes, I love 'em too.

The Korean war armistice was signed in 1953.
Typo I meant 1950s
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
comment removed
Last edited by Vbluguitar; Feb 23, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: cross thread
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:01 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
+1.

Low and Slow is the way to go.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
OEM motor on my Champ #2 finally gave up the ghost. Only 71 flights on that motor. Variable QC on China motors! So, in went a slightly used UM P-51 motor. I did this mod on Champ #1, noticed only a small performance improvement, but it was nice. Stock prop used back then, as now with Champ #2. Will fly her this weekend. A Champ without a strong motor is like a day without a Merlot.....er.......sunshine.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 24, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
OEM motor on my Champ #2 finally gave up the ghost. Only 71 flights on that motor. Variable QC on China motors! So, in went a slightly used UM P-51 motor. I did this mod on Champ #1, noticed only a small performance improvement, but it was nice. Stock prop used back then, as now with Champ #2. Will fly her this weekend. A Champ without a strong motor is like a day without a Merlot.....er.......sunshine.

RD
I got about 90 flights with my first Champ motor. The second one lasted over 150 flights and is still running.

BTW I have the P-51 and I average about 40 to 50 flights per motor on that one. The first P-51 motor only lasted 20. 70 seems to be about average for the Champ. Oh, and I have a heck of a time with the SLVC on my P-51 too. After a battery is a month or two old, the P-51 starts to SLVC after 2 minutes. I can then put that same battery in my T-28 and fly for another 5 to 7 minutes before SLVC

The Champ is by far the most reliable of all the brushed UM planes with its stock motor. Ironically I just put in a T-28/P-51 motor in my Champ because I was teaching my friend to fly and he did a 50 foot dive into the parking lot and bent the motor shaft on my stock motor gearbox. I happened to have a spare T-28 motor and gearbox, so I will see how the P-51/T-28 motor does in the Champ. So far I definitely I get more power, and am flying around at 1/4 throttle most of the time with the ability to do some amazing 50 degree climbs . We will see if it lasts as long as my Champ motor. My friend is a mechanic, so he was able to fix my stock motor/gearbox so I still have it for when the P-51 motor fails
Last edited by Vbluguitar; Feb 24, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
254 Posts
Ok so I did a few things to my free moderately used Champ.

First off I found some thin clear plastic that was waiting to be recycled. It was part of a cheese cake package. It was the same stuff a pop bottle is made of. Only flat. So it was easier to form into the shapes I needed.

Secondly, I put to use some 5 minute epoxy I had laying around.

I used these materials as reinforcement in spots I either perceived to be weak or read to be weak.

So this is what I did.

I cut small rectangles of the plastic large enough to fit above where the landing gear digs into the foam. I put a fold down the middle to follow the profile of the fuse and applied 5min epoxy to the backside of the plastic piece and stuck it on where signs of damage were showing.

Then using the same process and materials I made a small brace to reinforce the small piece of foam that connects the 2 elevator flaps.

I then made two braces out of the clear plastic for the tail fin and taped them on. (that tail seems flimsy)

I also saw that all the Champs that get used often seem to have beat up foam on the front end. So I used some of the 5 min epoxy and put a thin coat on the nose and the remiander on the wing tips.

I also solder up a adapter so I can fly the Champ on my mCPX batteries. 250mah 25c. I also have some 300mah 30c's

Should be fun I like to think of it as a maiden flight even tho it is really sloppy seconds. LOL
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:41 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Champ clean up....She has been taking a little bit of a beating between stickers and some rough landings....

smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919