HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:07 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Yes that was the answer i just did a short flight one battery and its pretty windy and cold but the report is after adding more down pitch she fly great again just like stock but with more thrust for the windy days like today.

I'm able to fly head on in to the wind and motor threw it with no problems rest of the time I'm at 1/4 throttle cruising around....
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,730 Posts
Stock Champ with floats from edge pilot
Wind was about stall speed which made for exciting taxi on water..........discovered unadvertised feature!
cheers!

Champ On Floats (3 min 41 sec)
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:21 PM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Marsden View Post
Before you change anything on the control surface, better check the horizontal stabilizer. From the picture, it looks like it's not straight, but has a curve upward just before the hinge line. That will make the plane act like it has a little up elevator all the time, which will result in the "porpoising" that you are describing. Use a straight edge to make the stabilizer straight when you repair, and that may solve your problem.
Jim
Thanks Jim. I tried my best to straight edge it but it appears to be level. I'm not sure how I would adjust that part anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
The U bends in the pushrods can be squeezed closed or spread open to adjust the trim. Put the TX trim back to zero and adjust the pushrod loops so the control surfaces are where they need to be.

It's all explained in the Champ manual on page 11, but it may not be all that clear, since there isn't a picture.

Moving the Pushrod to the holes closer to the control surface makes the plane more sensitive and more aerobatic. Further away makes it less sensitive and less aerobatic.
And thank you, UNGN. Squeezing the U bend in the pushrod definitely corrected my problem. Actually, when I was moving the pushrod to a new hole - prior to this problem - I probably stretched the U bend a bit causing the problem. It was hard to get in and I struggled a bit. Didn't even occur to me that the bend was there or would affect it.

I'm very anxious to get out there and test. Several windy days coming up so it might be a while before I get back out there.

Here is the original:

Here is the corrected:
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Thanks Jim. I tried my best to straight edge it but it appears to be level. I'm not sure how I would adjust that part anyway.

And thank you, UNGN. Squeezing the U bend in the pushrod definitely corrected my problem. Actually, when I was moving the pushrod to a new hole - prior to this problem - I probably stretched the U bend a bit causing the problem. It was hard to get in and I struggled a bit. Didn't even occur to me that the bend was there or would affect it.

I'm very anxious to get out there and test. Several windy days coming up so it might be a while before I get back out there.

Here is the original:
xxx

Here is the corrected:
Can't be sure from the photo but it looks like it might be OVER corrected ... it would be better to have a "little" up rather than a "little" down - you might try trimming a little up elevator before you fly and then bring the trim down once you are in the air and up 50ft or so (gives you time to think when you have some height.) - just taking precautions means that you don't have to rebuild
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
I want to add flaps to my micro champ anyone have ideas or pics how they have done it
muddturtle is offline Find More Posts by muddturtle
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddturtle View Post
I want to add flaps to my micro champ anyone have ideas or pics how they have done it
something like this?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...icro-2--DUB850

or wait for this?:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...s-bnf-EFLU1180
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Can't be sure from the photo but it looks like it might be OVER corrected ... it would be better to have a "little" up rather than a "little" down - you might try trimming a little up elevator before you fly and then bring the trim down once you are in the air and up 50ft or so (gives you time to think when you have some height.) - just taking precautions means that you don't have to rebuild
Good eye...the picture shows that it is overcorrected. I will get her up in the air then trim to perfection. I'm just glad to know I can adjust by pinching squeezing he U bend.
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Feb 20, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Is it possible for this gem to bind to my Tactic 6 Channel transmitter. Forgive me if it's sumthin really simple...but the manual for the transmitter wasn't much help and neither is the Champ's manual for other than binding to it's included transmitter.

Awesome plane and for a complete newbie like myself can't imagine an easier way to learn to fly!
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:13 AM
Beginner on HZ Champ
France, Bretagne, Quimper
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
Is it possible for this gem to bind to my Tactic 6 Channel transmitter. Forgive me if it's sumthin really simple...but the manual for the transmitter wasn't much help and neither is the Champ's manual for other than binding to it's included transmitter.
Probably not, I'm afraid. The champ's RX is DSM2-compatible, which is a Spektrum proprietary technology (http://www.spektrumrc.com ).
Your TX seems to be another technology (http://www.tacticrc.com/tacl0624.html ) and not DSM/DSM-2/DSM-X compatible.

"2.4 GHz" in only a freq, each brand got it's own proprietary digital transmission technology using it. You need a DSM2 capable transmitter, like Spektrum's ones (DX6i is their 6ch, I own one and happy with it) or maybe other brands I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds47588 View Post
Awesome plane and for a complete newbie like myself can't imagine an easier way to learn to fly!
Totally agree, this plane makes me go from the total-newbie state to the happy-autonomous-beginer state in a few weeks
michelp is offline Find More Posts by michelp
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
JG 5
Germany
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
afternoon mod

Hi guys!

Hoping she will fly slow though!

Next to do are the exhausts...and maybe the wheels...
Bf 109 is offline Find More Posts by Bf 109
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Captured Delta Ray
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:35 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Bf109,

Very nice struts, indeed.
Here's my exhaust...beveled aluminum tube.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:53 PM
JG 5
Germany
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Very nice exhaust!

I will try shrink tube painted with acryl colour aluminium...and the spinner in silver
Bf 109 is offline Find More Posts by Bf 109
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Captured Delta Ray
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Dec 2010
58 Posts
I already made another thread, but I thought this should go here too. This is my Champ converted to an L-16 Grasshopper.
Vbluguitar is offline Find More Posts by Vbluguitar
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:01 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
That's beautiful work!!!

You probably know that the stripes were for ID during the Normandy invasion.

Champs and Cubs worked as artillery spotters there.

Stunning Champ.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Dec 2011
162 Posts
Awesome work! LIke 'em all.
mds47588 is offline Find More Posts by mds47588