SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Feb 2009
266 Posts
I've heard about a set of floats for the champ, but didn't find them yet, anyone know where they are located? I built a set of floats from a plan, but am worried they are too heavy. A kit made for the champ would be great.
canyon is offline Find More Posts by canyon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:54 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Jim Marsden gives good advice. I, too had a porpoising Champ and one of the guys in my club pointed out that I had a tiny bit of up elevator which I couldn't see at all. He adjusted the U-bend and it was fine after that.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:17 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyon View Post
I've heard about a set of floats for the champ, but didn't find them yet, anyone know where they are located? I built a set of floats from a plan, but am worried they are too heavy. A kit made for the champ would be great.
RCG member JinnJinn makes a beautiful float laser cut float set kit. Send him a pm about them. Mine were only $5.00 a year or so ago. Building them is fun. He provides the precut foam bits, you the crosspieces and mounts. I used aluminum tube, most folks use carbon rod.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
My motors finally given up the ghost..which is the best replacement, I'm looking for little more power..

Chris.
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:54 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
My motors finally given up the ghost..which is the best replacement, I'm looking for little more power..

Chris.
P-51 Mustang motor.....good luck
karfrik is offline Find More Posts by karfrik
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
Thanks karfrik.. Would changing the prop help as well..?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
Thanks karfrik.. Would changing the prop help as well..?
You can use the stock one or the P51.People like the 5030 and 5043 GWS one the most.If i were you ill buy the "prop saver kit" from rcfunlab.com(same name on ebay).His propsaver kit comes with 3 different props i believe and you pick the best one that suits your flying taste.Plus you wont be breaking the bank buying new props and propshafts everytime they break.Rcfunlab even have tutorials on youtube on how easily to install the kit.Great guy by the way.....
karfrik is offline Find More Posts by karfrik
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:53 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
New wheel falls of darn it......

I was practicing my landings and take offs with the new over sized wheels and everything was going great till the last landing lol the wheel fell off and i lost the little black hub that keeps the wheel on oh well looks like i will solder a stop on the shaft now...

champ RC plane wheel falls off (0 min 51 sec)
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Prop adapter and GWS 5043 prop.

Here is a link for a prop adapter that will allow you to remove and replace a broken prop.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15053 as well as a GWS 5043 prop.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:46 AM
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
thanks guys, i'll be popping to my lhs later today to pick up a p51 motor..
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:30 AM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
OK so now that i have the p-51 motor in the champ she dont fly as good it wants to just porpoise or shoot straight to the moon....If i have my camera under the plane she will fly OK could this be due to not enough down pitch on the motor???

I did not reuse the champ gear box i just swapped the complete assembly out so the champ now has the the p-51 motor and gear box and mount its a bit smaller and did not just drop in to the same spot the champ power system did...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:41 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Smitty,

It's always gonna wanna climb at high throttle settings, but the porpoising is often caused by a tail heavy CoG condition. Might wanna check it closely, and be sure that, if anything, it's just a skosh (technical term) nose heavy. Give her a toss at half throttle and see hoe she does.

Greg
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Smitty, Happened to me too... i broke the tail multiple times so it ended up just making the champ weigh more. my champ weighs 2.1 oz. I had to add weight to the front to balance it out and fix the CoG. It actually still delivers exception performance and i get good climb, speed, and gliding.
Also, the losing the hub. i lost mine on my first ever flight... ended up just bending the wire at the end so the wheel couldnt come off...
Nate
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
well i can under stand the broken tail or bent tail causing the bad flying but my tail feathers are mint never crashed the plane it only started to do this when i replaced the motor.
i went ahead and changed the position of the motor to give her some down pitch lets see if this helps if not i will scratch my head till i figure it out...

Be back in a few with a report
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyplugs View Post
well i can under stand the broken tail or bent tail causing the bad flying but my tail feathers are mint never crashed the plane it only started to do this when i replaced the motor.
i went ahead and changed the position of the motor to give her some down pitch lets see if this helps if not i will scratch my head till i figure it out...

Be back in a few with a report
If the stock motor needs a lot of down thrust then makes sense to me that the Mustang motor needs even more if you plan on flying fast with it.. Which other then for float flying seems to be making the Champ do something that it's not made to do..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob