HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
41 Posts
Just picked one of these up used.......Putting a new set of tail feathers on it. Already flown it through 3 batteries. Nice little plane.
vlocity is offline Find More Posts by vlocity
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
It needed the shrink wrap or something to glue the two pieces together and i used ductape. wasnt like a mod more fix while i was messing around with something.

The p-51 motor and gearbox is smaller than the champ one. at least the gearbox is. u have to ram the gearbox into the foam to make a place for it. not too big of a deal

aaannnnddd..... half my phone number is on the wing... oh well.

Taatoken i love those lights. they look awesome
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:47 AM
Flyin Micro Champ,T-28, SU-26
Joined Jan 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate32 View Post
It needed the shrink wrap or something to glue the two pieces together and i used ductape. wasnt like a mod more fix while i was messing around with something.

The p-51 motor and gearbox is smaller than the champ one. at least the gearbox is. u have to ram the gearbox into the foam to make a place for it. not too big of a deal

aaannnnddd..... half my phone number is on the wing... oh well.

Taatoken i love those lights. they look awesome
thanks man
taatoken is offline Find More Posts by taatoken
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Fun Fact=you can fly your champ in heavy wet snow without any problems or the light fluffy snow too. i went out the other day and the plane looked so cool with all the snow around it and then again today(light powdery snow) and it flew nicely. the inside doesnt even get wet or anything.
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:58 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
when you do fly in the fluff, just make sure you clear the nose off if an emergency landing is needed
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:10 AM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
Happy to say my cub mods are moving along very nice I have now replaced
The stock champ motor with a new p-51 motor.
Waiting for my 808-#16 camera any day now
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Jan 2012
41 Posts
Just picked one of these up used....Love it.

Can anyone direct me to the correct fuselage and wing main color?

I'd like to touch it up.

thanks
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:53 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,040 Posts
Being I have color challenged sight, I can't help ya. Sorry.
I am working on a new bi-wing champ. Last one did fly great. But, this one will look better. hehe.
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Feb 09, 2012, 10:20 AM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlocity View Post
Can anyone direct me to the correct fuselage and wing main color?
The recommendation I found earlier in this thread (and/or in the "main" Champ thread - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216910) was Apple Barrel brand Apricot # 20764 acrylic craft paint. I picked up a 2 oz. bottle at a Michael's store for something like $.85.

I haven't used it yet, but other posters have agreed it's a good match.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jan 2012
41 Posts
Thanks very much.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:25 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,308 Posts
last time i took my champ out i scuffed the nose of the plane and since i like my stuff to look as clean and new as it can i went out on a hunt for some touch up paint this is what i found at Michaels arts and crafts a cheep fix at only 58-cents let me know if you feel its a pretty good match..

smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Apr 2010
58 Posts
Yep,it's a match.
EssTee is offline Find More Posts by EssTee
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:12 PM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
OK...I'm having problems with my Champ "porpoising" (going nose up then diving). I've added a penny to the nose and still have the same problem. I'm fully trimmed too (on the oem tx).

I've had some taped tail repairs so I suppose something is off. Everything functions correctly but, without active controls, it porpoises. It also elevates quickly at 1/2 throttle.

How does adjustment of the control arms (little white plastic things) affect flight? If I understand them correctly, it looks like they only make controls more sensitive. It doesn't actually affect the neutral setting. Hope I'm making sense. Can the top of the control arm be adjusted - pushed further into the flap? Not the side with the holes but the side that attaches to the flap.

Not sure if this helps:

Also...some sweet sunset shots:

Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
Hagerstown, MD - USA
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
Before you change anything on the control surface, better check the horizontal stabilizer. From the picture, it looks like it's not straight, but has a curve upward just before the hinge line. That will make the plane act like it has a little up elevator all the time, which will result in the "porpoising" that you are describing. Use a straight edge to make the stabilizer straight when you repair, and that may solve your problem.
Jim
Jim Marsden is offline Find More Posts by Jim Marsden
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:01 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
The U bends in the pushrods can be squeezed closed or spread open to adjust the trim. Put the TX trim back to zero and adjust the pushrod loops so the control surfaces are where they need to be.

It's all explained in the Champ manual on page 11, but it may not be all that clear, since there isn't a picture.

Moving the Pushrod to the holes closer to the control surface makes the plane more sensitive and more aerobatic. Further away makes it less sensitive and less aerobatic.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN