SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:11 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Greg,

There are many good reasons to buy a better tx, this isnt one of them.

If you anticipate sticking with one or two planes, a DX5e can be bought used for about $35-$40 here on rcg. new from Horizon is $60.

The advantages...
-it's a full range tx (but your range will still be limited by the parkflyer rx).
-The sticks have finer resolution 256bit vs. 128bit. A dx6 is 1080 bit. This results in much smoother flying than the stock tx.
-You can still use it with any Spectrum rx, but have to bind to each plane seperately.

Another point is...

Dont point the antenna at the plane. 2.4ghz signals radiate out perpindicular along the length os the antenna, there's actually a dead spot directly off the tip. That's why folks with hinged antennas dont fly with them straight.

Hope this helps,
greg.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:22 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Greg. It is true, if you are not gonna be getting more planes, you should be fine with that tx. I think that is your problem. The tx. Might be the batteries in it are getting weak. Did you use the ones that came with the plane for it? Don't!!! Get some from a better place like radioshack. Greg said the rest needed. Can you tell if this is happening at a distance?
Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
Not a Hoarder
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys...

I never used the batteries that came with the plane in the TX. I knew from reading here that that was a bad idea

My issues do come at a distance, but as you know, these little planes cant be flown too far away from you as you cannot see them. I might look in to a DX5e if they are that cheap. It does feel like I am losing signal when it happens.

I held the plane in my hand around 35% throttle the other day for a few minutes and it never went out on me, so you guys might be right.

I will look around for one and let you guys know if it solves it.

Much appreciated,
Greg
gfisher99 is offline Find More Posts by gfisher99
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
Thanks for the info, guys...

I never used the batteries that came with the plane in the TX. I knew from reading here that that was a bad idea

My issues do come at a distance, but as you know, these little planes cant be flown too far away from you as you cannot see them. I might look in to a DX5e if they are that cheap. It does feel like I am losing signal when it happens.

I held the plane in my hand around 35% throttle the other day for a few minutes and it never went out on me, so you guys might be right.

I will look around for one and let you guys know if it solves it.

Much appreciated,
Greg
It isn't that difficult to bind to a Spektrum Tx - you could see if someone in your area flys and perhaps get a 'loan' for a flight of a better Tx; that will let you know if buying a new Tx is worth the effort.
Else
Don't fly so far away
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:47 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
+1.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:55 PM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
gfisher.... that sounds exactly like my problem with my Champ.... tell me how it works for ya, I will be interested.
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:26 PM
Zephyrhills,FL
Joined Jan 2002
42 Posts
So after finally replacing the bad stock motor in my Champ with a p51, I had it flying for about 2 days...unfortunately my 8 month old border collie thought my little champ doing touch and gos was a perfect frisbee target....Ive had her caught in trees, replaced the fuselage, put the wing back, glued the tail back...but this..not sure if this is recoverable...
Automag928 is offline Find More Posts by Automag928
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:51 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,047 Posts
Haha, minor flesh wound. Fix it.
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
That poor thing. Once, I arrived at the field with the Champ and there was a guy with a dog. He took one look at the jolly yellow airplane and he shut his dog in the car. Then he watched me fly. Hahahaha
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
Oh, and you should fix it. Maybe you could blend the empanage of a mustang with the Champ. Than you would have a MUAMP!!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:56 PM
Not a Hoarder
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
It isn't that difficult to bind to a Spektrum Tx - you could see if someone in your area flys and perhaps get a 'loan' for a flight of a better Tx; that will let you know if buying a new Tx is worth the effort.
Else
Don't fly so far away
Yeah, I dont know anyone else that flies, and I dont go to typical RC flight areas. There is only one or two here in Austin, and they are both very far from where I live.

I just ordered a DX5e from Horizon. Its worth the $60 for me to try it out. Hopefully have it before the weekend so I can give it a shot. I will let you guys know how I make out. If nothing else, I will at least have a TX that has better resolution.

Thanks again,
Greg
gfisher99 is offline Find More Posts by gfisher99
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:10 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champflyr View Post
That poor thing. Once, I arrived at the field with the Champ and there was a guy with a dog. He took one look at the jolly yellow airplane and he shut his dog in the car. Then he watched me fly. Hahahaha

choice to eitherfly, or delay if I film, and maybe camera placement. I preferre no attention.

For reasons we do.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automag928 View Post
So after finally replacing the bad stock motor in my Champ with a p51, I had it flying for about 2 days...unfortunately my 8 month old border collie thought my little champ doing touch and gos was a perfect frisbee target....Ive had her caught in trees, replaced the fuselage, put the wing back, glued the tail back...but this..not sure if this is recoverable...
EVERY CHAMP IS FIXABLE!!!! they r champs. hot glue works great. u should see my champ. snapped both wings at least 3 times... the tail is literally more glue and tape than foam. if the collie snapped the control pushrods then ur gonna have to shell out the $2 to get the replacement
Good Luck
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:34 PM
Zephyrhills,FL
Joined Jan 2002
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate32 View Post
EVERY CHAMP IS FIXABLE!!!! they r champs. hot glue works great. u should see my champ. snapped both wings at least 3 times... the tail is literally more glue and tape than foam. if the collie snapped the control pushrods then ur gonna have to shell out the $2 to get the replacement
Good Luck
The problem is there is a big hunk of foam missing between the tail feathers peice and the remaining fuselage, plus its bent to heck and doesnt line up at all. I busted out the CA glue last night and literally the tail was at a 15 - 20 degree angle yawed compared to the rest of the fuselage.
Automag928 is offline Find More Posts by Automag928
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
Well be creative. There is more there that is good than ruined. Make it a custom wing, 'stang half, like I said. This is Hobbyzone Champ mods. I am sure you can find something to do with it! You spent $89+dollars on it now get all the value out of it you can. Go on, and have FUN!