HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:07 PM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Wanted to fly today and it was about 32'F outside. I fabbed up some battery insulation that worked well. Thought I'd share some pictures.

I used a small piece of foam tubing and used a drill to hollow out the middle for the battery to sit.

This is the tubing - cost $1.50 at Lowes.

Used a twist tie wrapped around the landing gear.

Two boring videos:
Winter flying with my HobbyZone Champ - 1 (1 min 54 sec)

Winter flying with my HobbyZone Champ - 2 (3 min 20 sec)
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
That looks like an external drop tank. Nice!!!
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
sweet flying, motor sounds dog barkin, yep nice Mod, gots to look for some here if I fly thanks for the tip
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:29 AM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
That looks like foam backer rod or "caulk saver". Am I right?
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:55 AM
noob
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
That looks like foam backer rod or "caulk saver". Am I right?
yes...it's caulk saver. It was killing me that I couldn't think of that....thank you!

I like it because it's light and you can cut the hole in the middle of it as big as you want.

I'm sure others came up with better ideas for insulating their batteries but I thought I'd share mine.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
is it really that bad to fly the plane in the cold?

Veccster im like 200 miles south of you and it is really cold too and i just fly. but it is decreasing performance/battery life?

Idk how much more flying im going to do tho cause my hands turn blue cause its cold... a heated TX would be super nice
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:04 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate32 View Post

Veccster im like 200 miles south of you and it is really cold too and i just fly. but it is decreasing performance/battery life?

Idk how much more flying im going to do tho cause my hands turn blue cause its cold... a heated TX would be super nice
Someone beat you to it http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...143460&page=31
order one of those and a heater set from HK and you're good to go
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, NC, Pilot Mountain
Joined Oct 2011
197 Posts
Anybody know the stock thrust of the champ? Considering making a UM nutball out of my first Champ.
Ikankrachuhmoll is online now Find More Posts by Ikankrachuhmoll
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:44 PM
noob
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate32 View Post

Yes, the lipo's are affected by the cold air. Insulate them and you can stay in the air longer. I was even told to keep them warm (in your pocket) until you are ready to fly.

I have been wearing light gloves while I fly. It takes some time to adjust to the controls though - loss of touch. It was also difficult because I had to hold TX while using the controls. I need to add a strap that goes around my neck so I can focus on the controls.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
Holding a tx with your hands is a bad habbit. Like holding a guitar with your hands. They need to be able to move freely at all times. I still don't like a strap on my banjo, mandolin, or guitar. Because I learned without a strap. Fix this now, while there is still time to correct. haha. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikankrachuhmoll View Post
Anybody know the stock thrust of the champ? Considering making a UM nutball out of my first Champ.
No, I dont BUT I built a 14" nutball out of UMX beast parts and it's insanely overpowered. 12-14" diameter should be no problem with the champ parts with dollar tree foamboard
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:38 PM
noob
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Holding a tx with your hands is a bad habbit. Like holding a guitar with your hands. They need to be able to move freely at all times. I still don't like a strap on my banjo, mandolin, or guitar. Because I learned without a strap. Fix this now, while there is still time to correct. haha. Lee
And there's my motivation to go fab something to the Champ TX. Be right back...

Thanks lee.

EDIT...OK, so it's NOT pretty. I'm headed out to see if it works but have a feeling the straps will be in my way. Afraid to even show a picture of what I "manufactured"

Do they sell straps that would fit the Champ's TX?
Last edited by Veccster; Jan 21, 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Glue wash

I bought a Champ for my boys and I to fly and spend time together. Loving every minute of it. Of course I have to make sure that the plane is flying properly before I hand over the controls but by that time the second battery is half way used up (Safety reasons, you know ) . I read about the "glue wash" to strengthen the foam and attempted carefully to do so. Long time model RR so I'm familiar with these white glue washes. My question is if the glue wash is to be done after the paint is stripped? Most of the wash just beads up on the paint and not getting good coverage/penetration.

Thanks,

Miguel
Tree Finder is offline Find More Posts by Tree Finder
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:30 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Miguel,

First of all, let me welcome you to the Champ community. Flying with your children must be a real treat. Check out our "off-topic" Champ thread as well, we talk about all our stuff over there.

I dont have personal experience with the glue wash technique. However, I'm fairly certain that what you are encountering is a wax type coating on the waterbased paint. I would simply wipe the surface with either de-natured alcohol or ???

I'm not really sure of what to use that wont mess up the paint, and dont want to make a wrong suggestion. Prehaps someone else will chime in here with what can be safely used.

I do know that sometimes, when you make something stiffer, the damage can be worse in a given situation because you change the material's ability to dissapate shock. And any coating adds weight. I've painted my Champ, and it does make a noticable difference. Not bad, but noticable.

Welcome, and Good flyin' to you and your boys.

Greg
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Greg. Flying with my boys is a blast, already gone through 1 wing and tail replacement. The boys (8, 10 & 47) are learning that the ground and trees are harder than the plane. They are doing quite well with flying now. After reading through all of 236 pages of this thread I'm ready to start modifying a few things and I do understand the weight issue.

Miguel
Tree Finder is offline Find More Posts by Tree Finder