Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
Gorilla Glue... I broke a wing off my champ right at the fuselage as well... about 1 year ago. Set it back carefully with Gorilla Glue. Inside loops, outside loops. inverted, a few hungry trees and a couple of rough landings for the past year and no problems to date (now that I've said that I have probably jinxed myself <GR>)
We all have our ways. gorilla glue is by far one good way, with tape quickly over it, stopping the foam from expanding.

Broken wing from fuselage to a fuselage itself, amazing what a little glue will do to this plane
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
But are you havin' fun?!?!?!?!?!?!

Heck yeah! Who on earth could manage to not have fun with a champ!
Mikeman98 is offline Find More Posts by Mikeman98
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:18 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeman98 View Post
Heck yeah! Who on earth could manage to not have fun with a champ!

'Zactly!!!!

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
507 Posts
Hi there. New champ owner.
Ive heaps of lipo's from my micro heli's
Whats the best way to hold in new lipo's ??
Velcro ?? Tape ??

the velcro 'spot' doesnt look secure
Cheers
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:03 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
Velcro ?? Tape ??

Cheers
Light rubber band.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopower71 View Post
I tried my key chain cam on my champ, and had to run it wot with a lot of up elevator to keep her flying.
I did get some very shaky videos. I was fighting some wind gusts which eventually landed the champ in a tree about 30' up. While I was getting some boards together so I could get it down, the wind and tree snapped the right side of the wing right off. most of the break is even with the fuselage, I am not sure if it will stay together if I glue it there, with it being the most stressed area of the wing. I think I should just replace it.
I flew right into a tree in a parking lot at night under the street lamps a few days ago. Broke the wing clean off. I picked up some .040 carbon rods at the LHS, poked them in one wing half ( 3 total each about 4" long) one on the CG one on either side. Poked them in each wing half took them out dripped CA in the holes, inserted rod. Pushed rod in other side and lubed up the joint with CA. Rods helped hold the dihedral and viola. Next day she's back in the air and the wing repair is stronger then before. She flies fine but a tad nose heavy.

J
Goldentaco is offline Find More Posts by Goldentaco
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
30 Posts
Not really a Champ mod but...

I picked up a DX6i and needed a way to tote it around with me.

I've modded my RTF box into a sort of field box. Cut some intrusive foam out to fit the new Tx and voila!
Goldentaco is offline Find More Posts by Goldentaco
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldentaco View Post
I flew right into a tree in a parking lot at night under the street lamps a few days ago. Broke the wing clean off. I picked up some .040 carbon rods at the LHS, poked them in one wing half ( 3 total each about 4" long) one on the CG one on either side. Poked them in each wing half took them out dripped CA in the holes, inserted rod. Pushed rod in other side and lubed up the joint with CA. Rods helped hold the dihedral and viola. Next day she's back in the air and the wing repair is stronger then before. She flies fine but a tad nose heavy.

J
Quote:
Velcro ?? Tape ??

Cheers
I use masking tape, and leave it in place, If for some reason it must be removed should place a mark of where it was. works for me. You may like to switch up each time. so placing a layer of tape on the plane first, then the bat and tape. I like more forward heavier nose., I compensate wit ha 808 Kc at times.

excellent mod, I think just some glue and a thin layer of clear tape works just fine even if a new break occures, the wing can be still glued, and is as good as new.

Using the Box as a work bench, you be amazed, what this champ can do for ya. regrow a wing.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:02 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Velcro ?? Tape ??

Cheers
Welcome 1101. I have had good success with velcro. I use the blue stuff from HK.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Velcro ?? Tape ??

Cheers
I use a couple of pieces of Scotch tape on both sides of the battery area and up along the fuse nose slightly. This is only used to protect the paint. Don't cover the velcro inside the battery bay. Then I put the battery in and place a piece of painters tape over the battery and onto the previous Scotch tape... not onto the paint.
The Scotch tape protects the paint and doesn't come off and the painters tape holds the battery secure and can be replaced when the "sticky" wears out.

Just another way to do it.
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
I find that to be the best way. Redcoat.

Do you put a mark when you find the CG point, so the next time it goes on.

I like the idea of tape, over Velcro. If I pull the velcro. I find it either removing hte paint on he plane, or pealing away of the batt. oils of body to glue of velcro, and dust/dirt?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
107 Posts
I just use a piece of scotch tape. but fyi. it will pull off the label on the stock batteries. Also, the stock battery didnt fit well for me in the charger so not having to use it was nice. But yah just a piece of scotch tape and u can peel and reuse it for each battery
nate32 is offline Find More Posts by nate32
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Dec 2011
30 Posts
Factory decals seem to remove nicely. Peel carefully and remove the sticky with GooGone. No ill effects so far.
ChoppedHam is offline Find More Posts by ChoppedHam
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
Southern Ontario
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Only -10 outside... fly or don't... decisions, decisions.
BUT there is no wind at all!... very tempting.
Redcoat is offline Find More Posts by Redcoat
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:38 AM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Fly! Fly! Fly!!!!!

Its almost down to 50 here....Ill go out and fly if you do. LMK so I can get all bundled up. before I go out.
desertdweller is offline Find More Posts by desertdweller