SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:42 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
olthump: In one of your posts a while back you show your champ with wing struts and also tail bracing between fin & stab and stab to fuse. What is your bracing and strut material and how did you attach each?
The tailplane struts were lengths of carbon rod I had on hand.

The wing stuts were cut in one piece from a sheet of 1/16 balsa that I just happened to have on hand, again. All was eyeballed for shape and location, nothing more.

The struts were fairly durable, strengthened them with thin ca, but the tail stuts didnt last too long. All attacment was with white Gorilla Glue.

Hope this helps.
Greg
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:51 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,821 Posts
I made struts once with McDonald's coffee stirrirs. Worked great for me. haha Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:55 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
olthump: Many thanks for you help on several issues.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
eagle,

you're very welcome.

This Champ community is a great bunch of folks. Anything I've learned has come from them.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:09 PM
Suspended Account
United States, ND, Lemmon
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Hey everyone! Has anyone ever taken the wing off the top of the champ, put it between the top half of the fuse and the rest of the body, flattened the wing, and put ailerons on it?? I am in the process right now. I also destroyed one of my ailerons by removing some glue that was on it and am trying to find a solution for one aileron without being too invasive in the wing. I am thinking since I dont want to spend any money, I will use the champ rx on the actual wing itself for the other aileron... It works in theory I just hope the two receivers dont interfere with each other. We shall see!
ghtscorexception is offline Find More Posts by ghtscorexception
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:43 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtscorexception View Post
Hey everyone! Has anyone ever taken the wing off the top of the champ, put it between the top half of the fuse and the rest of the body, flattened the wing, and put ailerons on it?? I am in the process right now. I also destroyed one of my ailerons by removing some glue that was on it and am trying to find a solution for one aileron without being too invasive in the wing. I am thinking since I dont want to spend any money, I will use the champ rx on the actual wing itself for the other aileron... It works in theory I just hope the two receivers dont interfere with each other. We shall see!
That's a novel approach, but selling the Champ bricks and Buying an AR6400 with an external rotary servo (or even 2 linears) will be lighter and better and you'll have a separate rudder, which isn't possible with 2 champ bricks.

2 bricks would make sense if you were building a twin mustang, or some other twin, or if you were using two different bricks, like if one was a AR6400 that had more than 3 channels.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
That's a novel approach, but selling the Champ bricks and Buying an AR6400 with an external rotary servo (or even 2 linears) will be lighter and better and you'll have a separate rudder, which isn't possible with 2 champ bricks.

2 bricks would make sense if you were building a twin mustang, or some other twin, or if you were using two different bricks, like if one was a AR6400 that had more than 3 channels.
Oh hey Im sorry I have an ar6400 with 1 1.9gram micro servo and I burned up the other servo. I pieced it all together last night and will attempt a flight today if it stays calm.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:06 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
This is to confirm what some others have posted about a Champ color match. Yesterday I bought a 2 fl oz bottle of Apple Barrel acrylic (20764 Apricot) to touch up many scuffs and dings. After two coats, I can't tell the difference from the original. I brush painted with easy clean-up with soap and warm water. Here in Dallas (at Michaels) the cost was 84 cents including state and local sales taxes.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
This is to confirm what some others have posted about a Champ color match. Yesterday I bought a 2 fl oz bottle of Apple Barrel acrylic (20764 Apricot) to touch up many scuffs and dings. After two coats, I can't tell the difference from the original. I brush painted with easy clean-up with soap and warm water. Here in Dallas (at Michaels) the cost was 84 cents including state and local sales taxes.
Thank you! I did all the mods above and this thing looks like some sort of monster. I am going to pick up some paint and make it look a little better.

Flight report: It flys fantastic! Was quite a bit windy for its maiden but man was it a blast. Both ailerons are great, they need some tape as I just used the paint as a hinge. Works well but wont last. I will snap some pictures if anyone is interested.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:45 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
I would like to see some pictures.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:04 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,821 Posts
I would like to see some Pics too. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Ok so on the one wing, There is the champ receiver. The other wing has 1 working long throw servo, and one non working long throw servo to keep the weight on the wings balanced out. They are a little offset to keep it even in flight as there was a slight weight difference. I know it looks bad but it is an absolute blast to fly. I am even considering putting that other champ receiver to use with another motor and moving the main to the other wing for dual motors. I have cabin fever as the weather has been terrible and I cannot stop building! I picked up some paint its from hobbylobby as there is not a michales around me. It is Folk Art 627 Tangerine acrylic and its a spot on match. The paint hasnt quite dried in the photos and the camera is a piece of junk but its all I have. I put balsa wood on the top to fill in the spot where the wing came off as it was quite rough from the super glue I used to attach it to the body. The balsa on the bottom was from my cargo door that I was using for "bomb" drops with that 1 working long throw servo. The remaining white on the bottom is my velcro for a bigger than stock battery. Not sure what the battery is but I can ask my buddy and find out if anyone is interested. Oh and the servo/receiver wires are being cut into the wing once all the paint drys.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:33 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
Very informative. Thanks for the pictures.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
722 Posts
I know for certain that somebody has modified a champ just like that, I just can't remember if it had ailerons or not.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:43 PM
noob
United States, PA, Greensburg
Joined Oct 2011
116 Posts
So much great info on this thread!

Question on charging lipo's....I left a stock champ 150mah battery plugged into the stock charger for about 4 hours. After lurking around on the battery thread, I am now aware of the danger in over-charging them. Could I have damaged the battery at all leaving it in for that long? Do these chargers have a cutoff at all when the battery is charged (like cell phone chargers do)?

I recently purchased six GForce 30C 160mAh 1S 3.7V LiPO's and an MSR Celectra 4 port charger - is this a safe combo? How long should I expect a charge to take in this charger when using the AC power supply?

I have a built in AC inverter in my Tacoma and plan to field charge. I am trying to figure out if the charger can keep up with the 6-8min flight times/battery that I expect and enable me to stay in the air for extended periods of time.
Veccster is offline Find More Posts by Veccster