SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2011, 03:10 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,934 Posts
Should work just fine. I use an extention connector for some batts that are too big to fit in the charger. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:10 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Another alternate battery arrangement, which I have mentioned a few times before: Hyperion 240, 25C

Works great on the Champ, Mustang, Cub, T-28...........

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:27 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
I'm getting ready to replace the tail on my champ. Is there any preference as to what kind of glue to use to attach the rudder and elevator control horns? Any tricks to doing this or things to look out for?

Thank you.
eagle1933 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1933
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:47 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
I'm getting ready to replace the tail on my champ. Is there any preference as to what kind of glue to use to attach the rudder and elevator control horns? Any tricks to doing this or things to look out for?

Thank you.
eagle,

Take note that you dont glue them on backwards...as I did on an elevator horn once.

My adhesive choice is white Gorilla Glue or 5min epoxy, 'cuz they add a little fillet of goop for support. Foam safe ca will work as well.

Greg
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:33 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Wowee Doug, that Champ looks crisp!

I can't believe mine looked like that out of the box. Although I do think I have maintained it quite well for the past 8 months. I'd say 90% of the blemishes and damage is from the first 30 minutes of flight

I like the Hyp 240 you got, it's a great battery. I replaced the micro plug with a regular one though (on my Champ too). Makes all my batteries and chargers very interchangeable, and easier to handle. The pins on the micro plugs get flimsy and started giving me bad connections (mid-flight shut downs = scary!)
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:26 PM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
Thanks for the advice olthump. Got it done with Gorilla glue. I can sure see how it would be easy to glue these things in backwards.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:47 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,934 Posts
I am considering making a true wing for my Champ. Complete with ailerons and maybe flaps. By true wing, I mean curved on top and flat on bottom. Anyone tried this yet?
Lee
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:59 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
I am considering making a true wing for my Champ. Complete with ailerons and maybe flaps. By true wing, I mean curved on top and flat on bottom. Anyone tried this yet?
Lee

Lee,

Check out these airfoils...thread at top of scratchbuilt foam section.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Lee
There's a lot of aerodynamics research that demonstrates an undercambered wing - like the one on the Champ - is actually more efficient than a conventional airfoil for models like the Champ. There's no reason you can't add ailerons, either, though perhaps a bit less dihedral would be in order.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:00 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,934 Posts
I agree. I think the dihedral would hinder the flight characteristic of the ailerons.
Thanks Olthump, I have been studying all that lately. I found some good instructional videos last night on the subject. Isn't foam wonderfull? hehe
Lee
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
careful with the use of white gorilla glue.

Any part of that Champ, that isunpainted will do just that. you got the box, you try a lil dab.

I use Rubber cement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDxO1PKgGvw
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:34 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,252 Posts
Looks like a flesh eating infection!

I did the wing break thing and used regular white glue and some thin strips of packing tape over the seam after the glue cured. Rubber cement sounds good too.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:05 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
In the stock out-of-the-box Champ, are the pushrod z-bends in the farthest control-horn hole from the control surfaces(rudder & elevator)?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:11 AM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle1933 View Post
In the stock out-of-the-box Champ, are the pushrod z-bends in the farthest control-horn hole from the control surfaces(rudder & elevator)?
Mine were.
Further out, less control surface movement, futher in, more.

As an aside...

The box is made of a different type foam than the plane.
I have used white GG on my Champ without any ill effects.
Just my experience, YMMV.

Greg
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:29 AM
Dallas USA, TX
Joined Jul 2010
207 Posts
olthump: In one of your posts a while back you show your champ with wing struts and also tail bracing between fin & stab and stab to fuse. What is your bracing and strut material and how did you attach each?