Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:20 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
What was your final motor /battery/ESC combination?

What did you use for floats (scratch, Jin's, etc)?

How did it fly off water?

Any recommendations?

Gene K
here you go speedy......all stock

how cool is my Champ on floats! (0 min 48 sec)
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:11 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
here you go speedy......all stock

http://vimeo.com/24078293
Nice video - thanks. PM sent.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:38 PM
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
anyone have a good design for ski's? Its going to snow soon I can feel it lol and I want to be able to fly in the winder without nosing it every landing. Also, anyone have any ideas on how to keep these lipos warm(ish)? Thought about making a little blanket like device out of under armor or something idk. just thinking out loud
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:53 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_noob View Post
anyone have a good design for ski's? Its going to snow soon I can feel it lol and I want to be able to fly in the winder without nosing it every landing. Also, anyone have any ideas on how to keep these lipos warm(ish)? Thought about making a little blanket like device out of under armor or something idk. just thinking out loud
For the little 1 cells like the champ uses I hear people keep them in their pocket. - there are some battery warmers on HK as well.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
anything imaginable.

Bounty towels, folded. Toilet paper, remember they are breathable, and that you should not sealed closed, hand warmers, keeps everything warm.

fingerless gloves, Hand warmer and batt construction design you're set. if not using hand warmer the body and batt will generate heat, good enough. Like coins in pocket and hands jingeling change.

Never do we see anyone warming up their cellphones?
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 14, 2011, 08:19 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
anything imaginable.

Bounty towels, folded. Toilet paper, remember they are breathable, and that you should not sealed closed, hand warmers, keeps everything warm.

fingerless gloves, Hand warmer and batt construction design you're set. if not using hand warmer the body and batt will generate heat, good enough. Like coins in pocket and hands jingeling change.

Never do we see anyone warming up their cellphones?
When my smowmobile borke down, my phone couldn't make a call until i put the battery under my armpit and warmed it up.
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
thanks guys I was just wondering if it would need to be warmed while in the air but I guess its only going up for 10 minutes or so and the lipos are cheap enough as is.

Can someone take a picture of their ski's? I have a few ideas and concepts going but not sure if they will be the best idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:58 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_noob View Post
rc noob,
I made a set for mine just by "eyeballing it". I took one of my wife's discarded liquid laundry detergent containers and cut some strips where the shape was what I wanted. Then took some 6mm depron from a crashed 3d foamy and made the stanchions. Cut a Q-tip stem to make the bushings that go over the axles. They were pretty big, I think maybe something smaller would have been better but it worked.
The originals were just a bit small for powder snow so I cut some plastic from a disposable drinking cup and glued slightly larger bottoms on using foam tac glue. Boy that stuff is great. Bottoms ended up 3/4" wide by 4" long.
The bottoms were just slightly curved the whole length so I didn't bother with rigging to let the skis pivot. I just used a dab of foam tac on each axle, then took a toothpick and a dab of foam tac on each end to make struts to keep the skis from rotating. Will try to take some photos later and post them.
I also made a "blankie" from some discarded foam packing material that I sliced very thin using a bread knife. Used velcro all around to attach it. It completely covers the battery and I have no trouble with 4 minute flight times using a 130mah miniaviation battery at about 20F. The plane also has lights which take some power so I am pretty pleased with those flight times.
Horizon Hobby Ultra Micro Champ on skis (1 min 32 sec)
WSEN is online now Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
haha man we think alike. I was using a tide container last night and mocked up a few things just wasnt happy with the end product. Will be taking your idea into account in my build. Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:08 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Name: champ skis.jpg
Views: 171
Size: 192.4 KB
Description:
WSEN is online now Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:29 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Very Slick. Nicely done.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Very Slick. Nicely done.
+1 well done WSEN nice work on a small model! - of course totally unnecessary in OZ
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:32 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
"of course totally unnecessary in OZ"

Yeah, but ya got them flying monkeys snatchin' planes outa the air!
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:29 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
"of course totally unnecessary in OZ"

Yeah, but ya got them flying monkeys snatchin' planes outa the air!
did you mean monkey or Kangaroo??
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,067 Posts
about to dig through the thread and look for a good lights kit for the champ. if someone could save me the time and recommend a good supplier, please feel free Ill be digging
RCG Plus Member