SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theborg View Post
Mad a few mod"s to a champ to test a few HK components. Total weight 40g (without battery)
Impressive, very impressive. Looking forward to a flight report. Many thanks for sharing.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:20 PM
Motorcycles are my life!
Manhattan Beach, California
Joined Dec 2004
74 Posts
Champ CG

Confirming that the recommended CG for the Champ is 1.25 inches from leading edge?
Superduke is offline Find More Posts by Superduke
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:24 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Brushless Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by theborg View Post
Mad a few mod"s to a champ to test a few HK components. Total weight 40g (without battery)
Looks good theborg!

Can't get over how light you were able to keep it!
Hope your maiden goes well.

Here's mine....at 85g AUW.
Have an E-flite park 180 (8 g motor weight)running on an E-flite 2s 180 mah battery turning a stock Champ prop.
Using a full size rx..AR6100e with the case removed.
Have tried a Beast prop..to slow...and a gws 5043...to much for this motor.

Got a 4 Hyperion 180 mah cells on the way...the motor and esc can also handle 3s so that should be pretty quick.
I'll try a 3s but i got the batteries to make up a couple 2s packs.

Here is a quick pic of the inside....more pics and details can be found here...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1713

And a couple vids to show how it can still fly slow or really get up and move!

With the reamed out stock Champ prop it really cuts into the wind well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byg9_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=124HC...eature=related

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:38 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,502 Posts
Theborg, Very interested in those new HK 1.7 gram servo's!! Keeping my fingers crossed
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
261 Posts
Okay, got my Champ a couple months ago and I've progressed thus far:

- Rubber band around the nose to keep batteries in the plane
- A dozen bad breaks and fairly solid repairs
- 1.32" Dubro micro sport wheels
- Orange 5043 prop and set screw adapter (nice)
- Learned about COG and how to fly in anything short of a hurricane
- 808 keychain camera

Next step is heavier wire to replace the flimsy landing gear and maybe fit the bigger hub holes of my Dubros more snugly so they wobble less. Anyone know what's the max diameter/gauge I can use for those wheels?

And it's time to consider batteries... probably. My stock HZ 150 and a couple Thunder Power 160's last 10-15+ minutes each for random half-throttle exploring, smash & go patterns, etc. But with the camera onboard they fail quickly (like 2-3 minutes) shutting everything down. Everything. I usually get some rudder back after several anxious moments on the edge of heavy NW forests. Just enough to flop into the grass and lie there spent (the Champ, not me) - done.

I'm just guessing it's weak batteries. Or am I quickly smoking my stock Champ motor with the extra payload and a chunky prop? Reviewing the videos, there's no death scream or anything. It just shuts down, then several long seconds later I hear servos, right before a still image of tall grass on the lens (upside down).

Ideas? Batteries to get? P-51 motor? Trouble-prone batteries to avoid?

Thanks in advance for sharing. Really cool board!
[IMG][/IMG]
teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
cool! I use the TP batteries too, I like them even better than the Hyperions!!
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:07 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Hard to beat Hyperion 240 mAh 1S lipos. I use the blue "velcro" fastener from HK, it's the best I've come across for holding batteries in place. My Champ balances out just fine with the Hyperion 240 cell.

FWIW

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:56 AM
Joined Aug 2011
261 Posts
Here's another possibility, a bigass 500mAh battery from a helo I seldom fly. 4 of them just sitting around. I'm hesitant, though, because adding weight adds speed, which rather diminishes the graceful appeal of the Champ, for me anyway.

Would some really mild slats and flaps (like 1/4" fore and 1/4" aft) restore or enhance that lazy, dreamy float factor a bit? Or would it become twitchy? I'm picturing a modded Champ that soars high and slow for awhile, nice and stable as a camera platform.

Tall order, but maybe with the right combination of battery endurance and added wing surface? Just wondering aloud...

Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:50 PM
kentucky
Joined May 2009
399 Posts
ridgewalker

That brushless motor sounds awsome. I have found on mine that if I'm lower than about 10 feet above the ground it won't fly slow. Above 10 feet it will almost crawl. 30 feet and above it will almost stop and just float in place.
Could you give the parts and how to do a brushless motor? I'd really like to do it to mine, but don't know how.
Thanks,
Earl
ccowboyearl is offline Find More Posts by ccowboyearl
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:19 PM
Motorcycles are my life!
Manhattan Beach, California
Joined Dec 2004
74 Posts
I just got my E-Flight bats in the mail today. Going to mount and try them this weekend. I haer you on the weight/speed factor. That was my concern too but I have seen a number of folks on the thread here that use the 500's almost exclusively. And the thought of 20 plus minute flights really sound fun.
Superduke is offline Find More Posts by Superduke
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:04 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Just got a spare airframe, SF Design lights, an AP05 and 3amp ESC. Gonna use a AR6400 brick. Can anyone point me to some posts showing setup with this motor? Plan on using Turnigy Nano 1s 300s....

TIA,
Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:02 PM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduke View Post
I just got my E-Flight bats in the mail today. Going to mount and try them this weekend. I haer you on the weight/speed factor. That was my concern too but I have seen a number of folks on the thread here that use the 500's almost exclusively. And the thought of 20 plus minute flights really sound fun.
I like the 500 (I ordered one with the Champ). It's heavier, but that helps in wind. The tradeoff; the plane is slightly less nimble, and won't fly quite as slow. But 30+ minutes at half throttle is well worth it IMO.
I seldom fly that long in one session, but it's nice to know that I can. When I'm shooting touch-and-goes, it's easy to eat up 15-20 minutes.

Wish I'd ordered a couple more.

Steve
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
261 Posts
Wheel Upgrade part II

Got the Dubro 1.23" micro sport wheels a couple months ago, which really helped it taxi over baseball diamond pea gravel, etc. But that didn't fix everything. Here's the rest of the solution, tested this morning in the rain. Seems to work much better.

- Local HS sells piano wire in .047" dia. Fits the .047" Dubro hub perfectly, eliminating "skinny axle wobble."
- Made 'em 1/2" higher than stock so a forward facing belly cam angled down doesn't scrape on deck.
- MUCH sturdier than a stock strut at almost twice the diameter, keeps its shape better.
- Slight weight gain, which suits the COG just fine.
- Rubber wire jacket shims inboard and out keep the wheel from falling off or binding up on the inner bend where the axle turns up (took a face-plant to figure that out - nothing new to this plane).

Took 5 minutes with needle nose pliers. Wire cost 55 cents.

Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:59 AM
RC Newb/Gorilla Glue User
United States, OH
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239 View Post
Got the Dubro 1.23" micro sport wheels a couple months ago, which really helped it taxi over baseball diamond pea gravel, etc. But that didn't fix everything. Here's the rest of the solution, tested this morning in the rain. Seems to work much better.

- Local HS sells piano wire in .047" dia. Fits the .047" Dubro hub perfectly, eliminating "skinny axle wobble."
- Made 'em 1/2" higher than stock so a forward facing belly cam angled down doesn't scrape on deck.
- MUCH sturdier than a stock strut at almost twice the diameter, keeps its shape better.
- Slight weight gain, which suits the COG just fine.
- Rubber wire jacket shims inboard and out keep the wheel from falling off or binding up on the inner bend where the axle turns up (took a face-plant to figure that out - nothing new to this plane).

Took 5 minutes with needle nose pliers. Wire cost 55 cents.

[IM]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/teflon97239/CloseGear.jpg[/IMG]
Nice work! Piano wire sounds like just the ticket!

How hard was it to fit it in the slot?
WingNut64 is online now Find More Posts by WingNut64
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
261 Posts
Stronger Wire for Bigger Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut64 View Post
Nice work! Piano wire sounds like just the ticket!
How hard was it to fit it in the slot?
The trick is matching the humped profile of the stock part where it sort of clips up inside the plane. Trace it on paper for reference, then start bending. The beauty is making the rest of it any length, width, height or shape you want. Bend it to sit high for a camera, wide stance, forward or back for desired COG, whatever.

I did a lot of smash & goes on a really rough diamond a couple hours ago. It's MUCH more useful than the stock wire (with bigger wheels), and it's still shaped like I first made it.

Really had to jam the heavier wire in there because the hard plastic slot is so tight (wire is twice the diameter). Had to be very careful not to mangle the fuselage while pushing. If I have to remove it for repairs or anything, I'll prep the slot with a hot butter knife to open it up just a bit before it goes back in.

Realized tonight that I'm suddenly confident flying not too far from a Tae Kwon Do class in the park. Not sure I would've launched a month ago on the same field as a dozen people who can take turns kicking my ass.