HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:05 PM
aka RTF
Long Island, NY
Joined Apr 2010
72 Posts
Liked the look also of the Micro 1.23 wheels picked a pair up at LHS .It was a very easy install.Here is a few pics of my champ with a few modest mods.Purely cosmetic. Im fixing and flying my helis less and flying this more .Love it.Also have umP-51D mustang which i believe is a great next step up after a few months with the champ,then on to bigger and better things .Im hooked. Sorry i strayed off champ topic a bit.Ill be enjoying this little gem for a while yet.
NuFlya is offline Find More Posts by NuFlya
Last edited by NuFlya; Aug 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:24 AM
USA, MI, Coloma
Joined Aug 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer View Post
Great ingenuity on this Donut1. I had a similar problem and was running around my house trying to find what I could use as a solution. I opted for black tagboard paper with a drop of CA to "harden" it. The plastic from a milk/watter bottle would have been perfect too! I love the creativity that goes into this hobby. I've found myself digging in the garbage looking at trash much differently - "Oh hey, I could use this foam meat tray for...." or "Wow, this plastic container could be used for....". Funny!
I trying to find some plastic trays (has to be out of the trash LOL) to make some SKI out of and sneak some of those stretchy things my daughter uses for her pony tail for cushions for the front of the SKI's. Would these ideas qualify for a CRAP mod. LOL. I'm starting to think on the dark side now. LOL

Doug
Donut1 is offline Find More Posts by Donut1
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:44 AM
caveo hun in sol solis
USA, NY, Levittown
Joined Jul 2010
143 Posts
Tv dinner trays seems to work good for ski's for the champ the sides are preshaped (perfect for the front.I doubled up (for strength) and I will post some pics and stuff as soon as the tail ski is finished. W.D.E
enemyace19 is offline Find More Posts by enemyace19
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:37 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,583 Posts
Anyone know if this light kit could be fitted to Champ somehow?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Configurable#
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:24 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1 Posts
broken champ wing fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Was flying my Champ this AM. Coming out of a power dive into a loop, and just BARELY hit the upright of a soccer goal. Tore the right wing off at the root. The rest is still attached to the fuse, but the right wing ripped off.

Can I CA it back on? Will it be strong enough to take loops, etc?

Anyone take the wing OFF the Champ yet? Is it glued on or taped or ??

Wasn't ready to start (re)building yet, but I'm out of choices...

Suggestions?
I used a toothpic cut in half and sharpened both ends to make penetrating the wing halves easier. I put a touch of hot glue on one end each toothpic and inserted them into one half of the wing then a touch more glue on the ends sticking out and then pushed both halves together. To add a little more strength I added a piece of box tape top and bottom perpendicular to the wing. I have flown this way ten plus flights, loops, dives, etc with no problem.
qlockwood is offline Find More Posts by qlockwood
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:52 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,583 Posts
I fixed my wing with cf 2 rods mounted underneath wing and on top of cab; works well. I have also added cf rod to tail feathers to strenthen them as well.
It flieallele but doesn't look good anymore - it'll be time to rebuild her in new clothes soon and perhaps with some more power and lights to boot
Old Aug 24, 2010, 04:47 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
Was flying my Champ this AM. Coming out of a power dive into a loop, and just BARELY hit the upright of a soccer goal. Tore the right wing off at the root. The rest is still attached to the fuse, but the right wing ripped off.

Can I CA it back on? Will it be strong enough to take loops, etc?

Anyone take the wing OFF the Champ yet? Is it glued on or taped or ??

Wasn't ready to start (re)building yet, but I'm out of choices...

Suggestions?
Tape strip on each side with some glue in the middle.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Aug 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2010
336 Posts
I have torn both wings off at the root, and each time I repaired with CA and packing tape. The repairs have held up perfectly. Adding toothpicks and CF splints and all that may not hurt but it doesn't seem to be necessary. I even flew a 320 mAh battery on my Champ, and with that extra weight the repaired wings didn't break.

(First crash: crashed with a camera onboard while trying to hot-dog it inverted. Second crash: barbed wire fence, invisible in the twilight, hooked my Champ and somehow this popped the other un-repaired wing clean off.)
horseflesh is offline Find More Posts by horseflesh
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:25 PM
caveo hun in sol solis
USA, NY, Levittown
Joined Jul 2010
143 Posts
Champ ski's

Ok here are some pics of the ski's I have made for the champ.Simple yet effective.The ski's are made from a tv dinner tray (doubled up for strength) with some plastic sprue to mount the axles to. The rear ski has a pin through the wheel to mount it to the ski.No cords are needed to make the ski tilt back for landing as I balanced it so it would be in the tilted position all the time(Gravity works wonders sometimes). It flys great, takes off from dirt with no problems and lands just fine.Happy landings....Doug
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:51 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Very nice Skis!
Now that's using your noggin!

I wonder if you will really need that rear one in the snow? The tail is pretty light, especially with the thrust wash lifting it up.

Seeing as how you will probably get snow up there in NY before I get snow down here in AZ, Do us a favor and try it out both ways, and report back.
desertdweller is offline Find More Posts by desertdweller
Old Aug 25, 2010, 05:56 PM
caveo hun in sol solis
USA, NY, Levittown
Joined Jul 2010
143 Posts
Soon as it snows Ill be out there for sure!! thanks....Doug
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:54 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,583 Posts
Very nice

It takes off from dirt on skis?

Sweeeeeettttt!!!!

QUOTE=enemyace19;15885244]Ok here are some pics of the ski's I have made for the champ.Simple yet effective.The ski's are made from a tv dinner tray (doubled up for strength) with some plastic sprue to mount the axles to. The rear ski has a pin through the wheel to mount it to the ski.No cords are needed to make the ski tilt back for landing as I balanced it so it would be in the tilted position all the time(Gravity works wonders sometimes). It flys great, takes off from dirt with no problems and lands just fine.Happy landings....Doug[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 25, 2010, 08:10 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemyace19 View Post
ok here are some pics of the ski's i have made for the champ.simple yet effective.the ski's are made from a tv dinner tray (doubled up for strength) with some plastic sprue to mount the axles to. The rear ski has a pin through the wheel to mount it to the ski.no cords are needed to make the ski tilt back for landing as i balanced it so it would be in the tilted position all the time(gravity works wonders sometimes). It flys great, takes off from dirt with no problems and lands just fine.happy landings....doug
TCFW :d
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:14 AM
USA, MI, Coloma
Joined Aug 2010
23 Posts
Hay Doug.
Hears an idea you might consider. Instead of mounting to the ski's the way you did what about having a foam block on top of the ski with the shape of a wheel cut into it so the wheel could drop into it then have pins on each side threw the block and you could stretch a rubber-band over it in an form to hold the wheel on. Like putting on a pair of snow shoes ans the same thing could be done with water ski's.
This way you would not have to remove the original wheel's or the assembly.
From another Doug (Donut)
Donut1 is offline Find More Posts by Donut1
Old Aug 26, 2010, 01:31 AM
caveo hun in sol solis
USA, NY, Levittown
Joined Jul 2010
143 Posts
*That could work too . The ski's I set up are a extra set of landing gear so they are interchangable along with the floats I bought from jin. Cool thing is they all fit in the box too.Btw nice name there Doug! thanks... Doug