HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
You won't be disappointed, thats for sure....I got my champ 4 weeks ago after reading rave reviews everywhere for that little thing. I broke my wing on my first and 3rd flights(in 2 different places) and used gorilla glue to fix it. Then probably around my 7th flight, noticed my rudder was creased all over and had a few cracks. So I took that opportunity to buy a new wing and rudder. Flies perfectly now! I know a few people whose champs are completely battered, glued and taped, but still fly wonderfully. Wind is a big factor, so dont fly in winds with gusts over 8 mph, especially when your starting out. 7-9 am is a good time most days, but you can check the wind forecast at this site www.windalert.com. It's very useful.

Hope you have fun with your Champ,

Vivcal
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivcal View Post
You won't be disappointed, thats for sure....I got my champ 4 weeks ago after reading rave reviews everywhere for that little thing. I broke my wing on my first and 3rd flights(in 2 different places) and used gorilla glue to fix it. Then probably around my 7th flight, noticed my rudder was creased all over and had a few cracks. So I took that opportunity to buy a new wing and rudder. Flies perfectly now! I know a few people whose champs are completely battered, glued and taped, but still fly wonderfully. Wind is a big factor, so dont fly in winds with gusts over 8 mph, especially when your starting out. 7-9 am is a good time most days, but you can check the wind forecast at this site www.windalert.com. It's very useful.

Hope you have fun with your Champ,

Vivcal
Good to hear you have got everything all sorted out and have the Champ flying good!!!

With practice the wind can really be fun...in about a month of flying/practice you might start chancing it in a bit more wind.
Have a good time flying with your repaired Champ

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is online now Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:52 PM
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Yup,
My champ finally flies perfectly!! and I can fly it in wind, but can just about manage...., but in no wind I even did an inverted flight for like 10 seconds by stopping at the peak of a loop!!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Yup,
My champ finally flies perfectly!! and I can fly it in wind, but can just about manage...., but in no wind I even did an inverted flight for like 10 seconds by stopping at the peak of a loop!!
Getting the Champ to stay inverted is fun.
If you get up there a bit and get going on a level,then just a little bit of up elevator and quick to the left with the rudder as soon as the plane pitches up slightly and you can get a roll out of it.
Not the best roll that's for sure but it's a Champ roll and fun to do!

Also...when your doing a loop,when you get the plane at the top of the loop and it's inverted,snap the rudder over one way or the other and it will kind of roll around and be upright.
The Champ is a fun plane isn't it!
Be careful you don't loose it in the wind.

Have you seen fishys video where he lost his Champ?....check it out it's a good one!.. down to the fifth post in the link....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...459288&page=87

Ridgewalker
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Ridgewalker,

Do you know how to mod the landing gear to Dubro 1.23" wheels?
Also I'm thinking of getting turnigy nano-tech 160's(THEY'RE REALLY CHEAP!!) - do they require any mod to the battery compartment, and how do they fare against the stock 150's and the hyperions?

Thanks,
vivcal
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:29 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Ridgewalker,

Also I'm thinking of getting turnigy nano-tech 160's(THEY'RE REALLY CHEAP!!) - do they require any mod to the battery compartment, and how do they fare against the stock 150's and the hyperions?

Thanks,
vivcal
I don't have any first hand experience with the turnigy nano tech batteries..but i think you should be able to use them just fine without any mod work needed.
I use the e flite 500 mah all the time.
Like the extra weight in the wind and the longer flight times is also nice.
They do make the plane a little less nimble and more scale like,but for me they work great!

For landing gear i make my own wheels from a sleeping pad used for camping.
I cut the round wheels out,use some scissors to round the corners and a slice of an ink pen tube is glued in the center of the wheel as a hub.
Then i use a black sharpie to color the blue foam black.

They are lighter than the stock wheels and were easy to make.

As long as the wheel will fit the landing gear wire and still be able to put the wheel keeper on there and providing the wheel is not to heavy you should be fine.
But you might want to check around because like i said i made my wheels so no experience with the Dubros.

Ridgewalker
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:31 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Wind is calm!!...going out flying while i have a chance!

Ridgewalker
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2011
258 Posts
Quote:
Ridgewalker,

Thanks,
vivcal
Vivcal,

No need to mod the wire gear itself, which is cool if you ever want to put the tiny stock wheels back on. Though I don't really know why you would.

Since the 123's are narrower in the hub, they'll leave a lot of empty axle outboard of the wheel when you press your little "hubcap holders" back on. And they'll wobble if you don't take out that slack.

So I shimmed mine from inboard of each wheel with a short snippet of rubber wire insulation, Champ yellow of course. This gives the widest stance and looks beefier. I shot my white hubs with satin black Krylon so they look less like the Jackmans on my Ford Courier in the 70's.

Advantages I've seen so far:
- Zero change in flight characteristics or front/rear weight distribution.
- Prop is higher when it's on deck, minimizing grindage.
- On baseball diamonds, there's no more flipping over or getting "steered" by pea gravel in taxiing, T/O, landing, etc.

If I ever lose this plane in the woods, I'll replace it and get 123's again, or 150's. Excellent cheap mod. Some flyers recommend gluing the outer hub nubs, but mine went back on so tight I just didn't see the need.

teflon97239 is offline Find More Posts by teflon97239
Last edited by teflon97239; Aug 13, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:39 PM
USA, CO, Colorado City-Rye
Joined Sep 2010
12 Posts
Quote:
Ridgewalker,

Thanks,
vivcal
I have six of the 160 Nano-tech batteries and am pleased with them.
I have been flying the same six batts for about a year now. They have lost a little of there "punch" but I can still get a good ten minutes out of them (timed) without LVC. For the price you can't beat them. You do not need any mods for them to fit. Just move them as far forward in the battery compartment as you can and the COG is perfect.
I also have the 1.5" Dubro wheels on my Champ and the only modification I had to do was glue a small piece of a red WD-40 spray tube in the axle hole on the wheels so they would fit the landing gear without any slop.
chargh is online now Find More Posts by chargh
Last edited by chargh; Aug 13, 2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: ad content
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:01 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
I do have a few questions though. (Looking at my champ too late to fly, tho ) First question- how do install the Mustang motor? I know it fits, and to wiggle the champ motor out, but how do I get the gearbox out, and then get it back in without throwing off the angle? Is it even something to be concerned about?
Second question would it be possible to take off the top wing, and then rubberband it on? And reinforce the banded areas with tape, plus it would probably hold in the batteries, and act as a "wing saver"
Third question-would cutting out a large hole in each wing, but leaving foam on the tip, and sides, then running two Cf rods through it for support, and covering it in mylar be feasible? Just to reduce weight.
Thanks
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:37 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Vivical.

I also have a bunch of the nanotech 160s and they work fine in the Champ. No experience with hyperion, likely they are better but cost much more. Just got the miniaviation 190s for my T-28 and they work GREAT.
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:25 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
You are better off getting the Turnigy nano-tech ones from Hobby King. I got similar battieries to these and they don't last all that long plus one of the black plastic ends came off just unplugging it from the charger

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-X-3-7V-150mAh-...item3369df5403

Looks too good to be true.....anyone else?
(3)-150mah 3.7v 10c LiPo for $3.38 shipped!
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
Just flew my champ on it's maiden flight for at least an hour, alternating between two batteries in 8-10 mph winds. Great stuff probably the best rc plane I've ever purchased. My experience from the Vapor made flying this pretty easy, so the only damage is some scuffs on the nose. As of now, it's stock, but that'll change this week. hehehehehehe Awesome!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 06:09 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
Just flew my champ on it's maiden flight for at least an hour, alternating between two batteries in 8-10 mph winds. Great stuff probably the best rc plane I've ever purchased. My experience from the Vapor made flying this pretty easy, so the only damage is some scuffs on the nose. As of now, it's stock, but that'll change this week. hehehehehehe Awesome!
It is really good to hear about other people enjoying the Champ for the first time. It takes me back to the first flight I had with one. They are a great little plane.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Aug 14, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
It is really good to hear about other people enjoying the Champ for the first time. It takes me back to the first flight I had with one. They are a great little plane.
Yeah, it's really amazing. Only problem was that my right control stick fell out, and I lost it. Substituted with a twig, and I glued it in when I got home. Inverted flying is quite fun.