HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:24 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Good question ... has anyone made their own adapters for the 5030 or 5043 props????
IMO, the easiest (using materials on hand), least expensive, and most effective adapter is one made from heat shrink tubing: get a small wire/drill bit that matches the 1.5mm shaft; shrink the first piece onto the wire/drill bit and then slide it off and back on (eases later removal of the layered tubing). Then shrink successive layers of tubing onto the wire/drill bit until you get the right 4mm diameter; trial fit - if not tight enough, use a small drop of CA between the adapter and prop after the adapter is in place (I haven't needed to do this); trim the adapter flush with prop; balance the prop: screw completed prop onto shaft - finished. The shrink tubing will grip the threads with no slipping! My old Sukhoi had over 350 flights without a prop slipping before I retired it.

You should be able to easily do five props in about ten minutes, it's that simple.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:12 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
I just inaugurated my Champ today, and it was REALLY fun!
Only, it kept wanting to turn left even after I digital trimmed the plane all the way..
It also keeps climbing (A LOT), if I don't keep bringing it level with my controls. ( I digital trimmed this all the way too)

Any suggestions, because it is extremely hard to control this way. This is my first plane and I have no experience at all.....
vivcal is offline Find More Posts by vivcal
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:30 AM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Vivcal,
CONGRATULATIONS!! Welcome to the wonderful world of the UM Champ. Sounds like your little bird survived the maiden even if it fought you a bit.

Turn your transmitter on and center your trims, at least the best you can as it is sort of hard to know when they are centered if you are using the transmitter that came with the plane. Then look at the rudder, it should be in line with the vertical stabilizer. If not, use two pair of needlenose pliers and adjust the pushrod at the U until it is centered.

Do the same for the elevator. It should be level with the horizontal stabilizer.

Look in your book for the COG, or Center of Gravity location. Seems it may be 28mm but I am not sure of that. Make a mark under each wing at that location, measured back from the front of the wing. Now, with the battery installed (I suggest all the way forward) but disconnected, see if the plane will set level with your fingers at the marks. If the nose is a bit heavy that is ok. If the tail sits low that is not ok. If you have to tape a penny under the nose to make it balance.

Try flying at half throttle or less. You should be able to now use the trims to fly straight and level, and shouldn't have to fight the bird, it should pretty much fly itself.

Hope you enjoy your Champ.
Rick
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:30 AM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivcal View Post
Only, it kept wanting to turn left even after I digital trimmed the plane all the way..
It also keeps climbing (A LOT), if I don't keep bringing it level with my controls. ( I digital trimmed this all the way too)

Any suggestions, because it is extremely hard to control this way. This is my first plane and I have no experience at all.....
On a calm day, fly straight and see if it pulls left. If so, tighten the wire spring gap on the rudder rod, and fly again. You should fly straight then.

Elevator is a little trickier. If you go into the wind, you will probably climb. If you use a lot of throttle, you will climb and nose up a lot. To check level flight, fly on a low wind day or with a tail wind at half throttle and then trim elevator digitally. If you have to use a lot of trim, then mechanically adjust the wire for the elevator control. You can also try moving the to the center hole on the elevator and rudder control horns.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:32 AM
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Well actually, it didnt survive my maiden, the wing broke on my 1st flight, and I had to gorilla glue it and tape it :P, but it works like a CHAMP now!!, thanks so much guys..... really really appreciate it!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:34 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Quote:

When you have the trim on the tx centered is the rudder also centered?

Same for the elevator,get your trims on the tx centered then either squeeze or open the little U on the end of the push rod near the control surface horn to get the rudder and elevator centered first.

Then there's your COG (center of gravity).
You don't want the tail heavy,it can cause the plane to climb,stall and climb again.

So make sure the battery is forward in the battery bay area.

Go get the tx trims at center and see how she looks.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:35 AM
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Oh and BTW, which way should I adjust the U's so that it flies straight and level...So, If the plane is moving to the left and up, should I clamp the U's or loosen them for the rudder and elevator?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:39 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Oh and BTW, which way should I adjust the U's so that it flies straight and level...So, If the plane is moving to the left and up, should I clamp the U's or loosen them for the rudder and elevator?
Probably best if you just look at it and see what happens when you move the U's just a little between your thumbs (gently) - closing the U will shorten the rod pulling the horn closer to you and opening the U will do the opposite. If you start to see the actual movement you will better understand what people have written here ... Good Luck and happy flying
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:41 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Quote:
Dude!!!

Get the trim on the tx centered,check the rudder...is it centered??

If not squeeze or open the U to move the rudder to get it to center.

You have to look and see what is going on with the rudder when you make the change at the U.

Ridgewalker
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:08 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
vivcal...

Did you get the trims centered on in the tx and check and see how the rudder looks?

The Champ is a tough plane and it sounds like you may just have something out of adjustment.

This thread is loaded with lots of info,videos and pictures...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216910

Best to get a snack,something to drink and read through the thread for a good hour or so.
I know...reading may sound boring but there is lots of good info that will help you out with the Champ in there and well worth the read.

Also try the "search this forum" and "search this thread" feature.
Member "fishcomics" has some video that can show you some how to stuff with the Champ.....here is a link to some of his videos...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ow+video+champ

Ridgewalker
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:25 AM
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
I did, I can see that the rudder is off center and I'm gonna adjust it, but its kinda hard to see on the elevator, I'm not sure......
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:38 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Just squeeze it or pull the U apart gently to get the rudder centered.

Doing it this way is called mechanical centering.
You always want to get things centered mechanically first,and the tx trims must be at their center,that way when you go and make trim adjustments with the tx trim buttons there will be the same amount of movement both ways.

For the elevator hold the plane with the side facing you,now make it look level like it's flying straight through the air.

Take a look at the horizontal stabilizer,that's the part just ahead of the elevator,the elevator moves up and down and the horizontal stabilizer remains fixed.

So you want the elevator to be level with the h stab.
If it is to far down then pull the U apart to get it to come up,but remember small adjustments and be easy with it.

If it's to far up the squeeze the U to bring it down,again small adjustments.
Needle nose pliers work good to do this task.
Just a little and check it...won't take much.

Ridgewalker
Old Jul 28, 2011, 01:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
410 Posts
Thanks, its all level now!!!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 02:01 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, its all level now!!!
Cool!!

Hope you have some nice weather tomorrow to get out and fly it.

Don't forget to try it with the battery towards the front.
A nose heavy plane will penetrate wind better,tail heavy is a handful to keep in the air and most of the time will cause you to crash.

Happy flying!!

Ridgewalker
Old Jul 28, 2011, 05:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
Dude!!!

Get the trim on the tx centered,check the rudder...is it centered??

If not squeeze or open the U to move the rudder to get it to center.

You have to look and see what is going on with the rudder when you make the change at the U.

Ridgewalker
Is it like a car where you let go the car is supposed to "WEAR' to the right a tad?

are all the champs this way where each plane veared to the right?

I thnk so, I think at a given tome i want my plane to vea right everso much so

A) hands off I can bank in a Big circle. if I ned to quickly get something or relaxed flight.

B) Plane lost power, ran off.

but yeah who am I. not Jackie Chan. Luv that Movie.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)