SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:35 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Agree with Lee. I had the same issue, and it was so small, it took close examination 4 times before I saw it. A quick trim with a new blade, and good as new.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:07 AM
United States, TN, Seymour
Joined Jun 2011
70 Posts
Well, Lee and hog are geniuses lol. Very very fine debris in the prop shaft gear. Used a knife blade to very gently remove and she's spinnin free again. Thanks very much all!
slow2by2z is offline Find More Posts by slow2by2z
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:28 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2by2z View Post
Well, Lee and hog are geniuses lol. Very very fine debris in the prop shaft gear. Used a knife blade to very gently remove and she's spinnin free again. Thanks very much all!
LOL...no problem. Although...I think it was UNGN, or one of the other vets that leaned me that way. Glad it worked out.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:28 AM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2by2z View Post
Hey, what about me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
Might be the spur gear. Happens on mine sometimes if i crash with power on (I try not to though..sometimes stuff happens tho )
Look at the teeth where it's catching, maybe a damaged tooth or dirt in there. Try using a hobby knife to reshape or clean the affected teeth.

If not new shafts are $3 with the gear, may as well get some
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:35 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Hey, what about me??
Nahh you didn't count -

It funny that gearbox is really sensitive to a little bit of grit - even the tiniest amount.

I flew my UM Sukhoi with a friend who was flying his Champ - he was chatting to me whilst we were flying and doing some nice scale circuits ... I was sweating blood trying not to dirt nap the Sukhoi in the wind .... miss my little champ going to have to put the tailplane back on and roll it out for some peaceful air time!
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, TN, Seymour
Joined Jun 2011
70 Posts
Haha thanks EVERYONE.

Flew her today and she was great. Grass at the park was off limits for some stupid reason so I was having to launch from and land on the sidewalk in a spot about 10' x 8'. No sweat, plenty of lift to roll off the sidewalk and would glider her in and land on the same spot. Did some touch and goes and let a friend give it a try after I got him some altitude. Think he might get one lol
slow2by2z is offline Find More Posts by slow2by2z
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:59 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Hey, what about me??
Just so long as all y'all recall I have the first reported servo gear bent-tooth reshaping fix...

Dave
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Jul 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Great News!!! I talked a new member here...Dangerous444, into buying a Champ! He is stoked! Our shared experience with his P-51 UM was a disaster. We do however have a P-51 motor!!!! LOL

I just also fixed my Champ that has all the packing tape on it. The nose dive from the wing snap made the fuselage about a 1/4" shorter than the new fuse. It was flying but the prop started to have play. I suspected that it had spun loose, but when I opened her up I found that the foam around the engine had torn loose and that the damage was extensive. I replaced the fuse w/electronics, took the upper fuse and wing section and mounted it my new fuse and transferred the tail feathers. They were looking more V-shaped then level so I reinforced them with a carbon fiber rod across the elevator flaps. I flew it today, and it flew great, but the prop tightened onto the fuse. (5043 prop). I have used CA glue, but it tightened again. Any tips on how to get the prop to stay put?!?
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Old Jul 25, 2011, 01:35 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,259 Posts
What are you using to hold the 5043 prop on? I've always used the little wood prop adapters from radical rc and never have had an issue with them.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:41 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
What are you using to hold the 5043 prop on? I've always used the little wood prop adapters from radical rc and never have had an issue with them.
Good question ... has anyone made their own adapters for the 5030 or 5043 props???

I am down to one prop-saver adapter - am beginning to think a glue in one would be better - also thinking that I might be able to drill my own ... I haven't used the wooden ones -are they glued in or are they prop saver as well ... does someone have a link?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 08:59 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Ridgwalker made a video describing how to make an adapter using shrink tubing. Works very well for him. I have tried, but I can't seem to find his video...
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:28 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
My Champ came today. Put larger tires on as all my flying is off the grass. Couldn't resist a maiden even though we had 10 knot winds. No problem stock out of the box with stock battery pushed forward. Did move the rudder control in two holes upon landing for a bit more turn authority.Motor sounds rougher than my T-28, but the Champ sure handles the wind better!
Will the G FLYER decals on the wings come off somehow without messing up the paint?
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:29 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
I will make a new how to video tomorrow.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I will make a new how to video tomorrow.

Ridgewalker
Your original post is here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7150
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:13 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Thanks for finding that.

I have since just been using shrink tube alone with no carbon fiber.

Two wraps of the blue and two wraps of the red.
then the 5043 prop gently slides over the shrink tube and then i use some ca glue and let it seep in while i apply a small drop on the end.

Give it a test spin first to make sure the prop is centered.

I have the prop on my Champ mounted this way as well as the prop on the um T-28 and have never had any trouble.

**EDIT**
Video will have to be put on hold til i pick up some more shrink tube,thought i had some left but i'm out of the 1/8'' stuff.

Below are a couple pics of the shrink tube sizes you need to make a prop adapter.
You will use two wraps of the 1/16'' place one length over the prop shaft,dry no glue,shrink it,not too much though...just enough to form around the prop shaft.
Then slide another length of the 1/16'' over the first one that you just shrunk.

It can be tough getting the second 1/16 one over the first one,just takes some finesse.lol

Shrink the second 1/16 piece over the first 1/16 piece.

Now do the same thing with the 1/8'' shrink tubing,two layers over the two 1/16'' pieces already on the prop shaft..

Now the 5043 prop should just slide right over the shrink tube.
It should be a smooth fit,you don't want there to be a gap between the shrink tube and the prop because then the prop will wobble because it is off center,check this before using any glue.

If you find that the prop is to loose over the shrink tube....then you have to use a razor and cut the shrink tub from the prop shaft and start over.
That's why i say not to shrink it to much.
It might take a couple tries till you get it.
Use a lighter to shrink the tube if you have one.

After the prop is on there what i do is plug in the battery on the plane and give it a slow spin up with the motor,very slow.
This is when i watch the center hub on the prop to be sure the prop is centered.
Then i place a small drop of ca glue on the end of the prop where the spinner would be so the glue seeps into the shrink tube,then give some throttle and spin the prop up slowly and then it should be ready to go!

Like i said the Champ and T-28 both run the 5043 this way and never once have there been any issue,even survived a few crashes!

Doing it this way is much easier than using carbon fiber tube and can be done with minimal tools...lighter,razor blade,shrink tube and some ca glue is all you need!

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Jul 26, 2011 at 11:06 AM.