HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:58 PM
Clueless but learning
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Jul 2007
124 Posts
My Champ just arrived today. I'm going to turn the box inside-out, but I read something about a mod to the box that better retains the transmitter and prevents it from bouncing around. Can anyone point me to this? I've searched using a bunch of keywords with no luck.
HeavyDuty is offline Find More Posts by HeavyDuty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:17 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Are you talking about the stock transmitter? If something like the dx5e, I just modded my box to fit it very snugly. Added a velcro strap to hold it in place, and used a wide pen cap also to hold it down. The pen basically sticks on to the neck strap tab of the tx and gets pressed in when the lid is closed. The tx has no chance of moving around.

If you want some pics I'll post some for you.
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:32 PM
Clueless but learning
Joined Jul 2007
124 Posts
Yes, this was for the stock TX - I think I remember something about flipping over a part of the insert, but I don't see how that's possible without cutting. Maybe I should add velcro straps?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:12 PM
Clueless but learning
Joined Jul 2007
124 Posts
Well, I probably shouldn't worry about it - I picked up a DX6i on the way home, so...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
It flies even better with the Dx6i!

Have fun!
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
153 Posts
I've rebuilt my champ 3 times now, (by that a mean new motor can, fuse, tail, wing). has been so much fun, just upgraded the motor to the p51 on the most recent rebuild... flown it around 300 times since i got it. all I gotta say is that p51 motor makes the plane miles and away more fun... my brother bought one also and we upgraded the motor right away, went flying it at the same time with streamers, too fun.
apothecarion is offline Find More Posts by apothecarion
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:19 AM
Clueless but learning
Joined Jul 2007
124 Posts
I'm considering adding temporary "cheater" flaps to slow my Champ down even more - my newb flyer reaction times are pretty slow.

I've seen foam flaps elsewhere in this thread, but I ran across the idea of making them out of thin, clear plastic like you'd find used for product packaging.

Has anyone tried this material on their Champ or anything else?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:01 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
foam egg carton and i used 1" by 3" following the underchamber of the wing
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:50 AM
Clueless but learning
Joined Jul 2007
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monboy10 View Post
foam egg carton and i used 1" by 3" following the underchamber of the wing
Thanks, I saw your earlier posts - I'm looking to see if anyone has tried clear plastic scavenged from a clamshell package to do the same. I think it's plenty rigid and light.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 03:55 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Why don't you put more up elevator and run slower throttle settings? That will assist in flying slower. I guess a flap system will help, but just fly with less throttle! That's the easiest...

Skycadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:28 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
put a 5gr brushless in my spare champ body today...ill get pics up soon of the install...gonna fly it on 2s and maybe carry the keychain camera and floats...trying to decide if i should use the castle 6amp esc or try that mod for 2s everyone else has tried with the resister etc......any thoughts?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Jun 26, 2011, 05:47 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
put a 5gr brushless in my spare champ body today...ill get pics up soon of the install...gonna fly it on 2s and maybe carry the keychain camera and floats...trying to decide if i should use the castle 6amp esc or try that mod for 2s everyone else has tried with the resister etc......any thoughts?
I was having trouble with my BL and ESC, but I may have it solved - then to install into my spare champ!

Skycadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:27 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
I have a question about using the motor from the um p-51 on the champ.. I read where it will take flight time with stock battery down to like 5 minutes. Why is that so if the UM p-51 comes with a 120 mah battery?
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:34 PM
Sir-Crash-a-Lot
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Jun 2011
331 Posts
Wow! New Champ owner and after 5 days, I have finally read all of these Champ posts and the links to the other build threads. Wow!

I flew my Champ new out of box with extra Storm 160 Batts for 6 hours(rotating 5 batteries) and then the winds got really strong. So like a fool I used the winds to go extra high and then gave the controls to my daughter. Facing head strong into 10-15mph winds the champ barely moved forward with out being in a full dive. She turned and got the tail wind and the plane disappeared over a block away! LOL Time to get the car!

We found it in a tree 45 ft up. No chance of getting it down. After 4 storms and very windy days it was still in the tree so I bought a new Champ. Of course it fell out of the tree when I got home with the new one! LOL Now I have 2 . The first Champ is getting painted white and because my 10 yr old daughter likes zebras I am painting an orange zebra pattern on the plane.(increase visibility) Should be fun.

Both planes will have the Dubro tires this week and the 5043 props on stock motors. I also ordered tiny brite lights. I have done the battery mod to use my E-flite 500mah batts from my Blade 120SR . I had to open the battery cavity and use extra 2 sided tape on batts and plane belly. Works great. Hot battery can fly almost 30min. but needs extra down elevator trim to hold the nose down. Might try the penny trick. I am also ordering the 808 key chains unless there is a better one.

This link is to the images of the lightning I photographed last night over my house at 2 am. .....

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...ing/?start=all

The storm stalled and then turned into a heavy electrical storm. I wanted to fly with a key chain cam soooo bad as the lightning was flashing on the horizon and wasn't really near me. It would of made for an awesome video. These electrical heat storms happen often in the summer here so maybe I will risk it all for a crazy video of a champ in storm! I have done crazier things. LOL

I will post pics when I get the zebra conversion done.
Mr.Firemouth is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Firemouth
Last edited by Mr.Firemouth; Jun 26, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
here's the motor in place....still up in the air over which esc to use.
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34