Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2011, 01:41 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
Catching up as a first time poster!!

Long time reader (few months) and first time poster. Just want to say hi and introduce myself before I bring everyone up to speed on my hobby. I live in Jax FL. Started flying when I was 5-7 and haven't FLOWN (crashes dont count!!) since then until I got the champ. Ok, so I bought the champ had a small accident on my second battery.
After a quick easy fix I was off again and had another minor fix. All the time I was learning to fly. Well I started getting really ballsy over time and I'm mechanically inclined so I sped up my repairs and crashes (and budget unfortunately)! And then I found this thread and started learning more and refining my ideas.

SO, to sum it up I came up with totally awesome mods that I haven't seen posted. I also have some POSSIBLE disputes with some posts. And I've also gotten 14 people bought and LOVING the best plane ever built!

I am using my iPhone so I can't post pictures YET but I'll do my best to explain.

I've tested 12 available props and assorted and everything and absolutely enjoy the stock props performance. The only I see as "better" is the larger suk prop.

I've jammed crammed and even glued in about 8 different motors and have come up with : sukhoi XP motor is the best with my tests. Mainly shear speed and ability to maintain even through rolls.

Those are my "complaints and Questions" for older forum users. I have no scale nor CoG tester nor anything that's scientific. But that's what I've seen in my opinion (which everyone has and they all stink lol)

The tires were posted earlier and I've best luck with the dubro 1-1.5" wheels for usabilty.

For tons of strength and good looks I use a black zip tie with a 0.020" CF rod super glued to it as struts. Even as a brand new flyer with spectacular crashes and wows I've never broken a wing off. (dogs don't count especially bc it flew 5 minutes later!)

Ive totally eliminated tail creases and damage by using 0.020" CF rod.
I have to post a picture to show it properly but I snip the tail edges in particular places just enough to get rid of the thick plasticy edges. I then slide the rod into and through the tail sections in strategic directions. I have yet to have any problems from bending tails to braking off the control horns or anything. It's so strong I've even broken off tail WHOLE! and that wasn't even my most up to date and best mod!

Anyways, I do NOT mean to come off as a mean or arrogant person. I'm just not good with words. But I hope that I've started this thread back up a little and hope to get many responses and learn more from the gurus!!
FlyingRtard is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRtard
Old May 13, 2011, 01:56 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRtard View Post
....I am using my iPhone so I can't post pictures YET but I'll do my best to explain....
Very nice post!

Interesting ideas....you're addressing some of my pet considerations.....I'm looking forward to seeing your photos.

Dave
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old May 13, 2011, 03:33 PM
Bacon makes everything better
USA, CO, Centennial
Joined Feb 2011
167 Posts
motor angle?

I managed to bang up my champ pretty good so I pulled apart the fuse for the first time to work on it. I noticed the motor is glued in at a pretty pronounced angle right and down. Is this normal?

UberSpeck is offline Find More Posts by UberSpeck
Old May 13, 2011, 03:43 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Yes,it is angled down and to the right.
The right off set is to help over come the prop torque and the down off set is to help it climb.

Ridgewalker
Old May 13, 2011, 04:12 PM
Bacon makes everything better
USA, CO, Centennial
Joined Feb 2011
167 Posts
ok, i thought it was intentional, but it was a little disconcerting when I opened it up
UberSpeck is offline Find More Posts by UberSpeck
Old May 13, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSpeck View Post
ok, i thought it was intentional, but it was a little disconcerting when I opened it up
Ya' when i was at the local hobby store picking mine up,i opened the box to check it out and that's the first thing i noticed,asked for another one cause this one is bent and the guy at the lhs said no,..it's supposed to be that way.

Alright i said..thinking to myself "i don't know ,looks kind of funny".

Then after doing research here found out yup, he was right!....lol

A little bit of foam safe ca glue and you should be able to get the champ back together alright.

Check out over here..http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216910..last page of course...that is where most of the everyday champ flying talk is along with a bunch of great videos of the champ flying and from the champ flying.

Ridgewalker
Old May 13, 2011, 05:55 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
LOL...scroll waaaaayyyyy back a few dozen pages...I asked the same thing! Hey...we all started somewhere!
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old May 13, 2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks Dad!
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Feb 2001
222 Posts
Will the Champ be able to carry the keychain camera out of the box? Stock?

Thanks
Paul
RacerPaul is offline Find More Posts by RacerPaul
Old May 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Yes it will,check out fishycomics....http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...16910&page=549

Ridgewalker
Old May 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
Brookings, OR.
Joined Dec 2005
243 Posts
Key chain cam

Yes

yes.
Mike F is offline Find More Posts by Mike F
Old May 13, 2011, 07:41 PM
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
New planes

Ok so I made that long post earlier, and posting again already! I love being able to post! Ok so I expanded my fleet this evening and got a UM Trojan. After poppin it opened (gotta stuff my big block XP in it! Lmao!) I saw how the trike setup worked with a steerable nose. Got me thinking (and I know the trike has been done) but it'd be really easy to mod the champ to fit a crashed (which my brother has) Trojan nosecone/wheel holder device in. Also made me think, ok we need to move the now front wheels aft. Gave me another great reason to want a trike! By cutting out the insert for the wheels now and moving them after will give me (and everyone else) room to slap a HUGE battery in!

Ok so my plans for this evening, drive to my brothers, grab his wrecked Trojan fuse, and begin to mod my second (and beat up champ), and test the no longer scale design :-( champ. Any ideas or suggestions that I haven't considered that anyone has for me? The more info and input the better please!
Old May 13, 2011, 08:34 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerPaul View Post
Will the Champ be able to carry the keychain camera out of the box? Stock?

Thanks
Paul
Thanks to Ridge. for crediting me. As ridge also deserves the creditto.

The Champ I own is not any champ. It's Unique.

I have dubrow 1.23 wheels, 240mah battery, stock propeller, the keychain cam located to the back of the battery section. with a hint of tape in areas.

not mentioning each 1/10th gram.

The champ has not a problem lifting off the ground by itself and gaining high altitude in seconds.

I tried out the 150 or 160 mah, cannot see 1 point font. and hte champ should lift off .

Remember this is Zero wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn4B6Cm_UwI

Now if you are expecting to fly in WIND, you got another thing coming. It will fly, and fly differently. you'll be in Full WOT. most the time forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op_0ZcMmuVw

I recommend if a beginner like me, First learn your plane, getto orientate, use of joystick, all types of winds, and then and then trial the cam dead calm only. when you take off the cam and fly right away. you'll feel like you got off a ride that made you dizzy.

I hope these video's show you how sweet the champ is. with a modified wheel and battery, and tray area.

Mostly stock.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 14, 2011, 09:02 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRtard View Post
Ok so I made that long post earlier, and posting again already! I love being able to post! Ok so I expanded my fleet this evening and got a UM Trojan. After poppin it opened (gotta stuff my big block XP in it! Lmao!) I saw how the trike setup worked with a steerable nose. Got me thinking (and I know the trike has been done) but it'd be really easy to mod the champ to fit a crashed (which my brother has) Trojan nosecone/wheel holder device in. Also made me think, ok we need to move the now front wheels aft. Gave me another great reason to want a trike! By cutting out the insert for the wheels now and moving them after will give me (and everyone else) room to slap a HUGE battery in!

Ok so my plans for this evening, drive to my brothers, grab his wrecked Trojan fuse, and begin to mod my second (and beat up champ), and test the no longer scale design :-( champ. Any ideas or suggestions that I haven't considered that anyone has for me? The more info and input the better please!
FlyingRtard,

FYI.....the T-28 comes with the same motor as the XP/P-51/4-Site/F4U. The next step up in power is the Nine Eagles Bravo SX/P47 motor. It fits the mount, but you have to changed pinion and connector. However, you get a 30% increase in thrust (Hyp 180 or better required).

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; May 14, 2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
FlyingRtard,

FYI.....the T-28 comes with the same motor as the XP/P-51/4-Site/F4U. The next step up in power is the Nine Eagles Bravo SX/P47 motor. It fits the mount, but you have to changed pinion and connector. However, you get a 30% increase in thrust (Hyp 180 or better required).

Joel
Joel,
I am not a scientist by any means what so ever. But I know what I see and don't see. When I put the p51 motor in my champ it was faster but not crazy. When I put my spare sukhoi 26xp motor in the exact same champ about 1 minute after flying, it was faster. Same exact bird and conditions. Test two was flying my mustang stock then throwing the XP motor in it, 5 minute surgery and I felt it was faster also. Not to mention the XP alone is a dater airplane flying side by side to any UM.

Also, I called HH and was talking to a tech about the brick in one of my sukhois. After a bit of conversation with the tech, I started asking about the motors. And what he said after some research was that all the motors are the same except the XP motor. Different place of origin, different specs, and everythIng.

So, if it's the same as the mustang, so be it. But my opinion is that it's better and my Trojan agreed this morning.