HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005rs View Post
thanks for everyone's advice on replacing the tail on my champ. I tried it out last night and it worked well enough that I went ahead and painted it.

it needs a bit of down elevator to keep from nosing up and stalling; same as the original tail.

it's been too windy to get it properly trimmed. it behaves ok on the downwind leg, but its all over the place heading back into the wind. I suspect the old setup wasn't quite so sensitive to wind, but it's hard to tell. I can't seem to get a break on the wind lately, which is how the original tail got damaged.

re: the camera. I just removed the plastic case and covered it with clear tape. I also angled the lens of the camera downward, so all I have to do is velcro it to the bottom of the fuselage as far forward as I can so as not to interfere with the battery

I also had to open up the fuselage (again) because the rudder servo keeps getting stuck (makes for interesting times). There was a bunch of glue holding the wires down to the rudder servo motor which was hanging up the little black stopper thingy on the servo. While scraping that out, I cut the wire . I soldered in a new piece of wire to lengthen it and get it out of the way, then I noticed a bit of glue on the gear that engages the servo motor. I suppose this was a manufacturing flaw, but it's too late to call the hobby shop about that now. Hopefully, I've got that one fixed
Call HH and tell them about the glue slopped all over the brick. You'd be surprized at how helpful they are.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:23 AM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
thats a nice build!

i went to 99cent stores last night and got some foam paper plates so here's my attempt

Brand=Kordite
Cost = 0.99cents 22 pieces
thickness=~1.11mm

stock champ is ~2.66mm

don't get fooled by the paper plate thickness this thing is durable in my opinion than the stock feathers.

there are several kinds/brand but this one i got is the cheapest[thinnest] the others were too thick to be used for the tail feathers of the Champ so make sure you check thickness

made a vertical stab. by tracing the original and weight unpainted comes to .3 grams
stock version is .4 grams and the foam feels more durable than the stock version. Im not sure if Im going to paint it.

you need 2 plates to make horizontal stab.

the foam is laminated both sides with thin clear film

the Paint i have [as someone recommended earlier post] is Apple Barrel Apricot [ 20764 ] color from Michael's Craft store around $1+ and very close see photo

here's some photos
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Last edited by Kamov; Apr 15, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:14 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
794 Posts
Just a thought for those of you doing your own tails. I'd bet the rudder would be stronger if you ran the hinge line straight up to the top. That dog-leg is a common crease point. To make up for the loss of control surface area you could enlarge the vertical flap. Increase it's width a little to get back the lost area.

Dunno if losing that little counter-rotating piece at the top would diminish the handling, but it would only cost a paper plate to find out.

I thought the previous paint recipe was apple barrel orange with a couple drops of red. I don't suppose apricot is the same as orange?

edit: Ahah. I see from their website there's an Apple Barrel Harvest Orange, Neon Orange, Apricot and Pumpkin Orange. The color fidelity of my laptop isn't good enough to draw match conclusions from their paint chips.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Last edited by WAM74; Apr 14, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:49 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post
Dunno if losing that little counter-rotating piece at the top would diminish the handling, but it would only cost a paper plate to find out.

It would hurt the handling on a plane with more of a performance platform...but I doubt it would hurt a thing on the Champ.
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:11 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
The "over center" portion of a rudder is intended to lessen the load on the operating linkage by letting airflow help move the surface.. On real aircraft, this is called a balanced surface. I think.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:16 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
The "over center" portion of a rudder is intended to lessen the load on the operating linkage by letting airflow help move the surface.. On real aircraft, this is called a balanced surface. I think.
Counterbalanced..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:18 PM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Yeah, like he said.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:25 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
ARGHHH! Still haven't gotten a hold on a champ yet. LHS said monday/tuesday at the latest. Now they are saying that none of thier stores can get any in! I had them put my name on one and Im getting impatient and about to buy from HH. Ok, done venting now.
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:00 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
this photo didn't upload so here it is

horz. stab

need 2 plates to make vert. and horz. stabilizer @ $0.99 material cost for 22 pieces I can now make 11 sets of tail feathers at .09 Cents for each set in material cost
I paid close to $9 for the first tail set i bought.

next project attempt would be a wing using 99 cent foam core board from the Dollar Tree store
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Last edited by Kamov; Apr 14, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:21 AM
Chester, UK
Joined May 2010
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74 View Post
Just a thought for those of you doing your own tails. I'd bet the rudder would be stronger if you ran the hinge line straight up to the top. That dog-leg is a common crease point. To make up for the loss of control surface area you could enlarge the vertical flap. Increase it's width a little to get back the lost area.

I thought the previous paint recipe was apple barrel orange with a couple drops of red. I don't suppose apricot is the same as orange?

edit: Ahah. I see from their website there's an Apple Barrel Harvest Orange, Neon Orange, Apricot and Pumpkin Orange. The color fidelity of my laptop isn't good enough to draw match conclusions from their paint chips.
See my post 2558

I have made several from Depron, but instead of following the exact pattern of the original I just made a straight fin and rudder. No problems.

Just try the balsa, it costs bugger all and you can always make a depron one if it fails. Weight will not be a problem, The Champ can take a camera easily so a balsa tail will be fine.
geedee is offline Find More Posts by geedee
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geedee View Post
See my post 2558

I have made several from Depron, but instead of following the exact pattern of the original I just made a straight fin and rudder. No problems.

Just try the balsa, it costs bugger all and you can always make a depron one if it fails. Weight will not be a problem, The Champ can take a camera easily so a balsa tail will be fine.
yep, either way, cost isn't an issue. but I'm starting to think the weight of the balsa is creating a problem in that the down elevator trim that I'm using to offset the tail weight is causing the plane to behave erratically when a gust hits it. with a gust, the tail suddenly gains a lot of lift and causes a nose dive. weight isn't the problem, but I think the centre of gravity shift is

I haven't been able to test it out much because it's very windy. I'm waiting on some larger batteries that I've ordered from hobbyking, which may solve the problem. otherwise, it won't break me to get some foam
2005rs is offline Find More Posts by 2005rs
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:29 AM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
you could cut some holes into them then cover them with some tape to lighten them, and make them look cool
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:55 AM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Did this tail for my ember almost 2 years ago...

3/64 balsa, scotch tape both sides, magic marker for color.

If I ever have reason to, i'll put wood control horns on my Champ. they really made a noticable difference on the ember.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Did this tail for my ember almost 2 years ago...

3/64 balsa, scotch tape both sides, magic marker for color.

If I ever have reason to, i'll put wood control horns on my Champ. they really made a noticable difference on the ember.
nice. maybe I should do this even without changing batteries. I should try to keep it balanced no matter what battery I use.

newbie question: why are wood control horns better?
2005rs is offline Find More Posts by 2005rs
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
Occupying RCG
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
It's just my perception that they flex less than stock, and seem to tighten up the response a little. On the other hand, it might be all in my imagination.