HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2011, 09:30 PM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneVT View Post
Mutha, I put a microscopic dot of gorilla glue on the tip end of the LG wire 6 months ago. Dot expands/foams up to form a wheel retainer. Painted it black with a magic marker. Zero weight/has not popped off yet. Works for me.

Others have used pierced earing post retainers. Buy a life time supply at the 1$ type store or pilfer from your wife or GF's dresser top.

LaneVT
I just scrape it clean and reposition with a drop of CA and then cover with a piece of packing tape. I only usually do backyard grass landings though....
rotorbroke is offline Find More Posts by rotorbroke
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:58 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
Or you could push a booger on it...let it dry half way, and mould it a bit. When it dries all the way, it's sandable. You know dried boogers last longer than luggage, and will stick to anything.
PMSL I nearly choked on my cuppa!!! Love your work Hog Pen, ... but I think it was a booger that fell off in the first place .... oh God, my sides hurt!

BTW Thanks everyone ... great ideas ... except thou Hog Pen ... that was a brilliant idea!!!
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:01 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbroke View Post
I just scrape it clean and reposition with a drop of CA and then cover with a piece of packing tape. I only usually do backyard grass landings though....
I was taking off from a park bench (like the promo vids from hobbyzone) and a gust of wind .... oh well. I also just land it on grass as there just isn't any clear landing area where I fly it usually ... it just looks silly in the air with only 1 wheel ... still lands the same ... PLOP.
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:10 AM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermvlieger View Post
Actually I am also getting increasingly irritated by all the off-topic ranting in this (and many other) thread about this particular topic lately. Could you please have some consideration for the people who visit this thread to find information related to what the title indicates? People in here are asking nicely to take this discussion elsewhere so it would seem gentlemenlike to me to do so.

Sandor
After 150 posts about the Champ I would figure everyone would pretty much have a clue about all the mods there were for the Champ and lighten up. I know I do but I could be wrong....

Mark
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:17 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf View Post
After 150 posts about the Champ I would figure everyone would pretty much have a clue about all the mods there were for the Champ and lighten up. I know I do but I could be wrong....

Mark
<quoting Jerry Seinfeld> "I'm gonna go be friends with that guy..."
The Hog Pen is offline Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf View Post

Mark
Quote:
<quoting Jerry Seinfeld> "I'm gonna go be friends with that guy..."
I'm pretty much clueless about Champ mods because a lot of what I read is about things like UM all in one esc/Rx boards, brushless motors, wing mods etc ... stuff I still haven't got my head around fully yet ... But I still need friends in this cold old world ... even those who strangely value boogers!

Do boogers lighten things up??

<edit> What is the AUW of a booger secured LG champ??</edit>
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:41 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
lol...what kind of mods are you looking for?

A few of the basics from this thread:

UM P-51 motor, GWS 5034 prop, and fat-battery = one mean Champ.

Champ handles a wide range of batteries...from stock 5g batts, to piggy 15g batts.

Keychain cam can be carried with a stock Champ...hop ups make it easier.

Brushless upgrade...ends up being rather useless.

Bush tires, floats, and ski's...work well...size and application is up to you.

Wanna add ailerons...toss an AR6400 in there, which is the one that comes on the 4ch UM PZ planes, like the Sukhoi, Mustang, Trojan, etc.

Stabs can be remade with a lot of different materials...like styofoam plates.

*I'm sure there's a lot more...but that's what all I can rattle off from the top of my bloated head.

**PS: I was kidding about the booger thing.

***...or was I...
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,547 Posts
Quote:

**PS: I was kidding about the booger thing.

***...or was I...
No!! Really.

And I've been pickin' the old blower and saving portions for nothing!

As I am just learning all the stuff I let roll by over the years while I was out of this sport ... I just want to mainly keep to topic.

Some of the paint work and scale mods people here are doing are really awe inspiring. I'm moving house over the next few weeks so there won't be a lot of time for RC planes and the FunCub will remain unfinished for some time ... **sigh** But I would like to come back and find posts on the Champ and people's mods not a whole lot of tangent stuff.

I have found that a silicone 'O' ring is far better for prop-savers on the champ than the little rubber things that came in the kit. The 5043 prop is excellent in wind with the Champ ... even with a stock motor, and provided I don't WOT the thing everywhere I seem to have managed not to fry it.

BTW Thanks to all who have contributed here
Old Feb 26, 2011, 08:11 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
boogers, huh??

I'm torn between "...Not that there's anything wrong with it."

and "...If I pick, do I not bleed?"

Sigh. Too windy to fly this morning.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:19 AM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
boogers, huh??

I'm torn between "...Not that there's anything wrong with it."

and "...If I pick, do I not bleed?"

Sigh. Too windy to fly this morning.
Niiiiiiiiice!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 09:43 AM
Holy atomic pile, Batman!
Lafayette, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
743 Posts
Pickin and a grinin and now add flyin to that little ditty.

Finally got my poor old beat up Champ out today. Finally no wind. The nose on it is held together with Gorilla Glue and prayer...guess I could add a few boogies to it....I don't know.
I thought I had the thrust angle wrong on the prop so I never got to test my homemade Lipo battery blanket...but all is well and the blanket worked pretty good today. I ordered a new fuse, wing and tail feathers for it yesterday...oh and I also ordered a UM T-28 Trojan as well....Can't wait to get that puppy...of course the wind will pick up and stay that way until April....but I am wondering off topic.....

Happy flying fellers.

Mark
Steppenwolf is offline Find More Posts by Steppenwolf
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:22 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
"excuse me, are those REAL boogers on your landing gear?"

"Yes, They're real...

And They're Spectacular!"
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Feb 26, 2011, 05:00 PM
Go Ugly Early
Azle, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,128 Posts
I feel like a naked, innocent plane, flying through the countryside.

I'm out there, Champs, and I'm LOVIN' EVERY MINUTE OF IT!
Old Feb 26, 2011, 06:54 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,438 Posts
Why does my Champ keep loosing bind to my DX6i?? Am I doing something wrong?? I have already binded it twice.
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Why does my Champ keep loosing bind to my DX6i?? Am I doing something wrong?? I have already binded it twice.
I found I would lose radio connection with the stock TX and panic for a second or 2 (at 200 feet) but then get it back ... But I have never lost bind and I have found the DX6i to be fantastic ... I just seem to have a totally better feel of the little bird with it. Maybe you have a bad Rx or some electrical problems ... more experienced amongst us may know better.